Bananas are one of the most favorite and healthiest fruits worldwide. Many people are well aware about the multitude of health benefits this delicious yellow fruit has to offer.
But did you know banana peels which are mostly discarded are even packed with vitamins and nutrients.Let’s See Health Benefits of Banana Peel.
Here are a few details about the nutritional content of banana peel:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B6
- Soluble and Insoluble Fiber
Since ancient times many cultures have been consuming banana peels for availing its numerous health benefits.
These banana peels can be consumed by frying, baking, boiling, blending or as it is. But it’s more intriguing to know about the benefits these banana skins can provide for beauty and health.
So, now let’s discuss about the health and beauty benefits of banana skin here:
Table of Contents
- Health Benefits of Banana Peel
- 1. Mood Enhancer Banana Peel Tea Remedy
- 2. Baked Banana Peel Remedy for Cholesterol
- 3. Banana and Soya Milk Smoothie to Prevent Cell Damage
- 3. Protect Eyes from Macular Degeneration with Banana Peel
- 4. Detox with Banana Peel Milkshake
- 5. Remove Splinters with Banana Peel
- 6. Soothe Bug Bite with Banana Peel and Glycerine
- 7. Remove Warts with Banana Peel
- 8. Treat Psoriasis with Banana Peel
- 9. Beauty Benefits of Banana Peel
- 10. Banana Peel, Honey and Lemon Juice Remedy for Oil Control
- 11. Banana Peel and Aloe Vera Gel Remedy for Puffy Eyes
- 12. Banana Peel and Oats Remedy for Treating Acne
- 13. Banana Peel and Baking Powder for Treating Pimples
- 14. Banana Peel and Egg Yolk Remedy for Reducing Wrinkles
- 15. Banana Peel Remedy for Whiter Teeth
Health Benefits of Banana Peel
1. Mood Enhancer Banana Peel Tea Remedy
Depression not only just affects the mental health but it can affect the body too. To treat this mental illness one of the most effective natural alternative to medications is banana peel.
Banana skin is great for treating depression as it’s packed with mood boosting chemicals called serotonin which is a neurotransmitter derived from tryptophan (1).
This serotonin aids in boosting mood and makes one feel happy.
- Banana Peels- 1 Bowl
- Water- 1 Cup
- Take a bowl of banana peels and freeze the peels in the freezer for 1 to 2 days.
- Then take the frozen banana peels and lay them on a baking tray well spread out.
- Place the banana peel lined baking tray in the oven and bake at 150 degrees until dry.
- Later remove the dried banana peel from the oven and allow it to dry completely.
- Then add the dried banana peel into the blender and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Store this dried and ground banana peel powder in a container.
- For usage take 1 heaped tsp of banana peel powder in a cup.
- Then add 1 cup of boiling water over the banana peel powder.
- Allow the banana peel powder to steep for 1 minute.
- Then strain the banana peel powder and enjoy the banana tea warm.
- Alternatively one can even eat 2 banana peels a day regularly for 3 days to combat depression.
- This banana peel tea can be taken twice a day to enhance your mood naturally.
Also Read 17 Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea
2. Baked Banana Peel Remedy for Cholesterol
High levels of cholesterol in the body can increase the risk of heart diseases, strokes and interferes with the blood flow in the body.
To combat high levels of cholesterol one of the natural remedies is banana peel.
Banana peels contains ample amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber which promotes digestion and bowel movement for lowering the cholesterol levels easily (2).
- Banana- 1 Nos
- Cinnamon- 1 Pinch
- Nutmeg- 1 Pinch
- Brown Sugar- ¼ tsp
- Firstly cut off the ends of banana and slice the banana in half with the peel on.
- Then sprinkle ground nutmeg, cinnamon powder and brown sugar on the banana halves.
- Later bake the banana with peel for 10 minutes on 200 degrees.
- Then enjoy the baked banana with peel with yogurt.
- This process can be repeated once a day to lower the cholesterol levels.
3. Banana and Soya Milk Smoothie to Prevent Cell Damage
Free radicals and toxins can cause cell damage easily and to prevent cell damage banana peels are an excellent remedy.
Banana skin is a rich source of polyphenols and carotenoids (3) which is a type of phytochemical rich in antioxidant properties. This antioxidant helps in reversing the signs of cell damage and counteracts free radicals.
Along with the benefits of banana peels adding soya milk in this smoothie helps in preventing cell damage effectively.
- Ripe Banana- 1 Nos
- Soya Milk- 1 Cup
- Ice cubes- 2 to 3 Nos
- Firstly wash the banana well and then cut the ends.
- Slice the banana with the peel on in thin slices.
- Add the banana slices, soya milk and ice cubes into the blending jar.
- Then blend on high speed for 1 minute or till it forms a smoothie consistency.
- Serve the banana peel and soya milk smoothie immediately.
- This process can be repeated daily once for preventing cell damage and leading a healthy life.
3. Protect Eyes from Macular Degeneration with Banana Peel
Macular degeneration is an eye disease which can cause blurred vision or even vision loss. To protect the eyes from macular degeneration banana peel is an effective and inexpensive remedy.
Banana skin contains lutein which is an antioxidant property called carotenoid. This antioxidant property reduces the oxidative stress and neutralizes the free radicals.
Moreover lutein present in banana peel can even supply essential nutritional sustenance to the eyes for reducing the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Banana Peels- 2 Nos
- Clean the banana peels well and chop it into medium sized pieces.
- Then bring 1to 2 glasses of water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Later add the chopped banana peel into the boiling water and continue to boil for 10 minutes.
- This process will loosen up the fiber in the banana peel so it’s easier to chew and digest the banana skin.
- Add this cooked banana peel into smoothies or eat it as it is.
- This process can be repeated daily once to prevent macular degeneration.
4. Detox with Banana Peel Milkshake
Excessive accumulation of toxins in the body can lead to weakness, bloating, digestive disorders and skin issues.
To avoid these concerns it’s important to regularly detox the body to cleanse and rejuvenate the body internally.
Amongst the other banana peel uses this fruit peel is highly beneficial for detoxing the body as well.
Banana peel is a rich source of soluble and insoluble fiber (4) which creates probiotics bacteria in the colon for boosting the immune system. Moreover banana peel even aids in detoxing the body effectively.
- Banana- 1 Nos
- Milk- 1 ½ Cup
- Vanilla Extract- ½ tsp
- Ice Cubes- 2 to 3 Nos
- Take a ripe banana and wash it well.
- Then cut the banana with the peel into thin slices.
- Later take a blending jar and add in sliced banana slices with peel, milk, vanilla extract and ice cubes.
- Blend on medium speed for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Serve the banana skin milkshake chilled.
- This process can be repeated once or twice a day to detox.
Also Read Top 10 Healthy Drinks
5. Remove Splinters with Banana Peel
Stubborn splinters can be quite difficult and painful to remove especially in children. But this banana peel remedy will help in removing the splinter without the necessity of visiting a doctor.
Banana peels are rich in enzyme, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
These properties help in dislodging the splinter and drawing out the foreign material from the body to the surface of the skin.
As banana peel contains vitamin B6 and C will aids in healing process of the wounds.
- Ripe Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Surgical Tape
- Take a ripe banana peel and cut a square piece of the banana skin.
- Cover the pulp side of the banana peel on the affected area.
- Then secure the banana peel on the wound with a surgical tape.
- Leave on the peel poultice overnight.
- Then the next morning the banana peel will draw out the splinter to the surface.
- Later remove the banana peel and remove the splinter with a clean tweezers.
- This process can be repeated once or twice in the night as a treatment until the splinter is removed from the skin.
6. Soothe Bug Bite with Banana Peel and Glycerine
Bug bites are very annoying as these bug bites can sometimes even cause swelling, redness, itching and pain.
Moreover if the bug bite is not treated on time it can even cause rashes as well. To treat bug bites one of the best home remedy is banana peel.
Banana peel contains potent anti-inflammatory agent which reduces the itching sensation and subsides the pain.
Along with the anti-inflammatory benefits of banana peel the glycerine in this remedy moisturizes and softens the affected area.
- Banana peel- 1 Nos
- Glycerine- ¼ tsp
- Take a knife and peel the pulp side of the banana peel and add it into a bowl.
- Then add ¼ tsp of glycerine into the banana peel.
- Mix well to form a paste like consistency.
- Apply the banana peel and glycerine paste on the bug bite.
- Leave on the application for 1 hour.
- Later massage the application in circular motion on the affected area
- Then wash of the paste with cold water thoroughly.
- This banana skin remedy can repeated as and when required to treat bug bites naturally.
Also Read Skin Care Benefits Using Glycerin
7. Remove Warts with Banana Peel
Warts are unsightly patches of dead skin cells which can cause embarrassment. To treat warts there are many chemical and surgical treatments but they are very expensive.
For removing these ugly warts one of the most inexpensive and painless treatment is with banana peels.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Emery Board
- Adhesive tape- As Required
- Nail Clipper
- Take a fresh ripe banana peel and cut it into a square piece.
- Then clean the area around the wart with warm soapy water.
- Later roughen the surface of the wart with an emery board.
- Then apply the banana peel pulpy side on the wart and secure it with an adhesive tape.
- Leave on the banana peel bandage for at least 8 to 10 hours.
- Later remove the banana peel bandage and wash the wart with warm soapy water.
- Then pat dry the affected area thoroughly with a towel.
- Repeat the process again the next day until the wart starts to dry out.
- Then use a nail clipper to remove the dried dead wart.
- This banana peels process must be repeated at least for 2 to 3 weeks for removing wart easily at home and preventing wart formation in the future as well.
8. Treat Psoriasis with Banana Peel
Psoriasis is one of the most common skin diseases which can be identified with symptoms like red bumps with silver scales on the skin.
There are many treatments available to treat this skin condition and amongst the remedies banana peel home remedy is the most preferred solution.
Banana peels naturally contain anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
Along with these properties banana peel even provides a cooling sensation to alleviate the symptoms of psoriasis.
Along with the benefits of banana peel, coal tar enhances the healing properties to cure psoriasis and any kind of skin condition effectively.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Coal Tar- 1 tsp
- Take a ripe banana peel and cut it into small pieces.
- Then add the chopped banana peel in the blender with 1 tsp of coal tar.
- Blend on medium speed for 40 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth.
- Then apply this banana peel and coal tar paste on the affected area.
- Leave on the application for 30 minutes on the affected area.
- Later rinse off the application with plain water and pat the skin dry gently.
- This banana skin treatment must be repeated twice a day for relief from the symptoms of psoriasis.
9. Beauty Benefits of Banana Peel
Banana Peel and Turmeric Scrub for Lightening Pigmentation
Pigmentation can hamper anyone’s confidence and many people often opt for temporary makeup products to camouflage pigmentation.
Other than opting for temporary solutions banana peel and turmeric scrub is an excellent remedy to lighten pigmentation naturally and permanently.
Banana peels are a good source of vitamin C and nutrients which lightens the pigmentation.
Along with the benefits of banana peel turmeric’s anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties helps in lightening the pigmentation and prevents acne as well.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
- Water- ½ tsp
- Take a banana peel and chop it into small cubes.
- Then take a blending jar and add in chopped banana peel.
- Later blend the banana peel for 30 to 50 seconds or until it forms a smooth paste.
- Then add turmeric powder and water into banana peel paste.
- Mix well and apply the paste on affected area and massage in circular motions gently.
- Leave the application to dry for 15 minutes.
- Then rinse off the application with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry.
- Later follow up with a moisturiser suitable for your skin.
- This banana peel and turmeric scrub must be applied daily once to lighten the pigmentation faster.
10. Banana Peel, Honey and Lemon Juice Remedy for Oil Control
Oily or greasy skin is prone to acne, dullness and other skin imperfections.
To control the excessive sebum production to prevent acne and dullness one of the best home remedies is banana peels, honey and lemon juice.
Banana peels is rich in antioxidants which boosts the cell growth, removes excess sebum and exfoliates the skin gently.
Lemon juice even contains vitamin C (5) which is excellent for combating oily skin. In this remedy honey acts as natural moisturizer and its anti-bacterial property helps in preventing acne.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Lemon Juice- ¼ tsp
- Honey- ½ tsp
- Take a ripe banana peel and with the help of a knife remove the pulp from the inside of banana peel.
- Add the banana peel pulp into a small bowl, and then add lemon juice and honey.
- Mix well and spread this paste on the face evenly.
- Later allow the application to dry for 10 minutes.
- Then wash off the application with warm water thoroughly and pat dry the face gently.
- This banana skin process can be repeated thrice a week for controlling oily skin effectively.
11. Banana Peel and Aloe Vera Gel Remedy for Puffy Eyes
Puffy eyes can make one look tired and make the dark circles look more visible. To treat puffy eyes without any expensive eye creams this home remedy with banana peel and aloe vera gel is an effective treatment.
Banana peel is good source of potassium which helps in combating tired and puffy eyes instantly.
Aloe vera gel contains essential vitamins and minerals which help in moisturizing delicate skin under the eyes to prevent puffy eyes.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Aloe Vera Gel- ¼ tsp
- Take a ripe banana peel and with the help of a spoon remove the pulp from the inside of banana peel
- Add the banana peel pulp into a small bowl and mix it with aloe vera gel.
- Mix well and apply this banana peel and aloe vera gel paste under the eyes.
- Leave on the application under the eyes for 10 to 15 minutes and relax.
- Later rinse off the application with cold water and pat dry the skin gently.
- This banana peels remedy can be repeated once a day for at least 1 week for treating puffy eyes completely.
Also Read : How to Have Clear Face Naturally
12. Banana Peel and Oats Remedy for Treating Acne
Acne is one of the biggest skin concerns amongst everyone and for treating this skin concern one of the simplest remedy is using banana peel, oats and sugar scrub and get rid of acne.
This scrub gently exfoliates the dead skin layer from the skin’s surface which clogs the pores and causes acne.
Banana peel is rich is vitamins such as vitamin A, B, C and E and zinc which contributes to healthy skin and also prevents acne.
Oats gently exfoliates the skin and soothes inflammation and redness caused by irritated skin.
In this remedy the sugar’s natural granule texture is great for unclogging the pores and leaves the skin glowing instantly.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Oats- ½ Cup
- Sugar- 3 tbsp.
- Take a blending jar and add in 1 ripe banana peel, oats and sugar.
- Then blend for 1 minute or until the ingredients are combined into a smooth paste.
- Then spread this paste on to the affected area and massage the skin in gentle circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later leave on the application to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then rinse off the application thoroughly with warm water and pat dry the skin gently.
- If required follow up with a moisturizer.
- This banana peel and oats remedy can be repeated daily once to get rid of acne fast.
13. Banana Peel and Baking Powder for Treating Pimples
Excessive sebum production and build-up of bacteria causes pimples. To treat these annoying pimples naturally so that it doesn’t scar the skin one of the best remedies is using banana peel and baking powder.
Banana peel being a natural exfoliant in nature gently removes the dead skin layer and combats oil skin effectively.
Whereas the baking powder clears the blocked pores and removes toxins in order to prevent further flare up of pimples.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Baking Powder- ½ tbsp.
- Water- 3 to 4 Drops
- Take a spoon and remove the pulp of the banana peel.
- Add the banana peel paste, baking powder and mix well.
- Then add water to the paste and make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste evenly all over the face and massage the skin in circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes gently.
- Later leave on the application to dry for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then rinse off the application with warm water and pat the skin dry.
- Later follow up with an oil-free moisturizer.
- This banana skin and baking powder remedy can be repeated once daily for 4 weeks for getting rid of acne and lightening the existing acne scars.
14. Banana Peel and Egg Yolk Remedy for Reducing Wrinkles
Fine lines, deep furrows and wrinkles are the first few signs of ageing. To delay the signs of aging and treat existing wrinkles there are many treatments and skin care products available in the market.
But most of the treatments are expensive and anti wrinkle creams provide temporary benefits.
For this reason it is best to use a natural remedy with banana peel and egg yolks. This remedy is completely natural, economical and quite effective in treating the concern.
Banana peel is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins which helps in delaying the signs of aging.
Egg yolks are packed with proteins and this helps in making facial skin soft and supple as it’s dense in skin friendly nutrients and vitamins.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Egg Yolk- 1 Nos
- Take a blending jar and add in banana peel and yolk of 1 egg.
- Blend for 1 minute or until it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Then apply this banana peel and egg yolk mask on clean face.
- Allow the application to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Later wash off the application thoroughly with plain water and pat dry the skin gently.
- This banana peel and egg yolk mask must be applied thrice a week for preventing and fading existing wrinkles easily.
15. Banana Peel Remedy for Whiter Teeth
Stained and yellow teeth can hamper our confidence while smiling. For this one of the easiest remedies to whiten your teeth without the use of commercially available teeth whitening kits is using banana peel.
One of the uses of banana peel is to whiten the teeth as it’s a good source of potassium, magnesium and manganese which is easily absorbed by the teeth and this lightens them naturally.
Banana peel is even beneficial for whitening the teeth as its gentle and less abrasive to the enamel of the teeth like commercial teeth whitening kits.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Toothbrush- 1 Nos
- Take a ripe banana peel and rub the inside or the pulpy side of the banana peel on the teeth.
- Massage the banana peel on top and bottom teeth in circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later allow the banana peel application to dry for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Then take a dry toothbrush and start brushing for 1 minute.
- Later rinse the mouth with plain water.
- This process can be repeated 3 to 4 times a week for whitening the teeth significantly.
So these were some of the amazing and lesser known banana peel uses for health and beauty.
Next time don’t throw away this vitamin and mineral dense banana peels in the thrash and instead utilize the peels for gaining maximum health and beauty benefits from the peel.
All of the remedies and tips mentioned in this article are completely natural and safe.
If in case any of the health or skin concerns prolongs even after trying these banana peel remedies then it is best suggested to consult a specialist for the same.
Do drop in a line and let us know if you liked and tried any of the Health Benefits of Banana Peel mentioned by us in this article.
We would love to know your opinion about the same to serve you with better natural suggestions.