Many people associate beautiful lips with soft and pink lips as it enhances the natural beauty of the face and makes one more attractive. But unfortunately most of the men and women complain about pale, dry and dark lips.
Dark and dry lips are common concerns related to lips and many cosmetic products like lip balms, lipsticks and lip tints are available to counteract the concern temporarily.
However, if you want to lighten lips permanently without splurging money on expensive products then opt for natural remedies. To effectively treat dry, dark lip or dark spots on lips with natural remedies it is necessary to understand the primary causes of dark lips.
Here are a few causes that can result in darkening of the lips:
- pH imbalance
- Excessive sun exposure
- Hormonal changes
- Excessive smoking
- Using low quality cosmetics
- Sucking lips
- Unhealthy diet
- Chewing tobacco
- Intake of high caffeine
So, after knowing about the main causes of dark lips let us now discuss about how to lighten dark lips using natural scrubs, lip treatments and lip balms.
How to Lighten Dark Lips (Make Soft and Pink Lips)
1. Lip Scrubs –
Method 1: Sugar and Butter Scrub
Sugar and butter is an excellent combination to lighten dark lips and exfoliate the dry skin flakes on the lips. In this scrub sugar gently exfoliates the dry skin whereas butter hydrated the lips for making the lips soft and pink.
- Softened Butter- ¼ tsp
- Powdered Sugar- ¼ tsp
- Take a small bowl and add in ¼ tsp of softened butter.
- Then add in ¼ tsp of powdered sugar into butter.
- Mix well and apply this scrub on the lips.
- Massage the scrub into the lips in circular motions gently for 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Later wipe off the scrub from the lips with a towel or washcloth.
This process can be repeated 2 to 3 times a week as a natural lip lightener.
Watch Video of Sugar and Butter Scrub
Method 2: Sugar, Honey, Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil Scrub
Want to know how to lighten your lips and get rid of dry lips naturally?
Then try this sugar, honey, lemon juice and coconut oil scrub to exfoliate the dead skin cells which makes the lips appear darker in color.
Sugar contains AHA and its granule texture exfoliates and stimulates the collagen to lighten the lips and make it appear plump.
Honey is a natural moisturizer which helps to heal the cracks on the lips.
Lemon Juice is a good source of citric acid and vitamin C which lightens the lip color and gently exfoliates the lips as well.
Coconut Oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E which hydrates and moisturizes the lips effectively.
- Sugar- 2 tbsp.
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice- ½ tsp
- Coconut Oil- 1 tsp
- Take a small bowl and add in sugar, honey, lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Then mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Later dip your finger into this scrub and apply the scrub on your lips.
- Massage the scrub onto the lips in gentle circular motions for 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Later rinse off the scrub with water and apply any preferred lip balm to hydrate the lips.
- This process can be repeated twice a week as a natural lip lightener.
2. Pomegranate, Rose Water and Milk Cream Scrub
Pomegranate, rose water and milk cream combination is the perfect solution for people wanting to know how to get pink lips instantly and naturally.
This scrub is beneficial for treating dehydrated and dry lips effectively.
Pomegranate’s natural color instantly gives a pink tint to the lips and its nourishing properties moisturizes the lips.
Milk Cream contains lactic acid for lightening the lip color and it is even an excellent moisturizer for nourishing the lips.
Rose Water helps in healing the chapped lips and makes the lips smooth.
- Pomegranate Seeds- 1 tbsp.
- Milk Cream- ½ tsp
- Rose Water- 4 to 5 Drops
- Mortar and Pestle
- Take a mortar and pestle and grind pomegranate seeds till coarsely ground.
- Then add the coarsely ground pomegranate seeds, milk cream and rose water into a small bowl.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Later apply this scrub evenly on your lips.
- Massage the scrub into circular motions gently for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later rinse off the scrub with plain water and follow up with a lip balm.
- This process can repeated daily once for soft and beautiful lips.
[Also Read: Skin Care Benefits Using Glycerin]
3. Raspberry, Honey and Aloe Vera Scrub
Looking for how to make your lips lighter then try this raspberry, honey and aloe vera remedy. This remedy is enriched with vitamins which help to keep the lips soft and smooth.
Raspberry is a good source of essential nutrients which helps in lightening the lips and makes them supple.
Honey is a natural humectant which keeps the lips moisturized.
Aloe Vera is rich in vitamin E which helps in healing and hydrating the lips. You can also use Aloe Vera pulp if you want to get rid of dry itchy lips naturally at home.
- Raspberry- 1 Nos
- Honey- ¼ tsp
- Aloe Vera Juice- ½ tsp
- Take a small bowl and add in 1 raspberry.
- Then mash the raspberry with a fork well until it’s pulpy.
- Later add honey and aloe vera juice into raspberry pulp.
- Mix and apply this raspberry scrub on lips.
- Leave on the application for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then massage the scrub in circular motion gently for 20 seconds to 40 minutes.
- Later wash off the scrub with plain water and follow up with a lip balm.
- This raspberry scrub can be applied twice or thrice a week to prevent lips turning black.
4. Turmeric and Milk Scrub
Want to know how to lighten lips without using makeup products?
Then try this turmeric and milk remedy. This remedy provides double benefits like it lightens the lip color and moisturizes the lips as well.
Turmeric can also helps you get rid of any kind of lip infection naturally at home.
Milk contains lactic acid for lightening the dark lips and its moisturizing properties hydrate the delicate skin on the lips effectively.
- Turmeric Powder- ¼ tsp
- Milk- 4 to 5 Drops
- Take a small bowl and add in ¼ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Then add in 4 to 5 drops of milk into turmeric powder and mix well.
- Apply this turmeric and milk scrub on the lips evenly.
- Allow the application to dry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then gently massage the lips with finger in circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- This exfoliation will help to get rid of the dead skin layer on the lips.
- Later wash off the application with plain water and pat dry the lips gently.
- Follow up with a lip balm to protect the lips.
- This gentle exfoliation process can be repeated 2 to 3 times a week to Lighten Dark Lips easily.
5. Coffee, Cocoa, Castor Oil, Sugar and Peppermint Oil Scrub
Do you want to know how to make your lips soft and get rid of unsightly dry skin flakes on lips?
Then try this coffee, cocoa, castor oil, sugar and peppermint oil combination in scrub for making the lips soft and supple.
Coffee contains caffeine which helps in rejuvenating the lips and gives the lips a natural flush of color.
Cocoa contains fatty acids and antioxidants which retains the lips moisture level effectively.
Castor Oil contains potent moisturizing properties to heal and hydrate the chapped dry lips.
Sugar acts as a gentle exfoliant for getting rid of the dry flakes on lips.
Peppermint Oil helps in healing chapped lips and stimulates the blood circulation to makes the lips look plump and smooth.
- Ground Coffee- ½ tsp
- Cocoa- ½ tsp
- Castor Sugar- 2 tbsp.
- Castor Oil- 1 tbsp.
- Peppermint Oil- 2 to 3 Drops
- Glass Jar
- Take a small bowl and add in castor sugar.
- Then add castor oil and peppermint oil into sugar.
- Mix well and then add in ground coffee and cocoa powder into sugar.
- Stir well again and store this lip scrub in a small clean jar.
- For usage dip a finger into the coffee and cocoa scrub and apply it on the lips evenly.
- Then massage the scrub into the lips gently in circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later wash off the scrub with plain water and follow up with a lip balm.
- This process can be repeated daily for lightening dark lips.
6. Brown Sugar, Cornmeal, Maple Syrup, Coconut Oil, Ginger and Cinnamon Scrub
To get rid of dark spot on lips it is important to exfoliate the dead skin layer from the lips firstly so that the nourishing treatment can work better.
For this brown sugar, cornmeal, maple syrup, coconut oil, ginger and cinnamon scrub is an excellent natural lip scrub.
Brown Sugar contains natural glycolic acid which exfoliates the lips and conditions the lips from further dryness as well.
Cornmeal acts as a gentle exfoliating agent for the delicate skin on lips.
Maple Syrup helps in protecting the skin and treats dryness effectively.
Coconut Oil is a rich source of vitamin E which acts as an excellent moisturizer and heals the chapped lips.
Ginger increases the blood flow to the lips thus making the lips appear pink.
Cinnamon has blood stimulating property which makes the lips plump and smooth.
- Brown Sugar- ¼ Cup
- Cornmeal- ¼ Cup
- Maple Syrup- 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil- 1 tsp
- Grated Ginger- ½ tsp
- Ground Cinnamon- 1 Pinch
- Small Jar- For Storage
- Take a small bowl and add in brown sugar and cornmeal.
- Then add in maple syrup, coconut oil, ginger and cinnamon powder into brown sugar and cornmeal.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Then store the brown sugar and cornmeal scrub in a clean jar.
- For usage take 1 tsp of scrub and apply it on the lips.
- Then massage the scrub on the lips in gentle circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later wash off the scrub with warm water and pat dry the lips.
- Then follow up with your favourite lip balm.
- This process can be repeated 2 to 3 times a day for soft beautiful lips.
Lip Treatments –
Looking for home remedies for how to make your lips lighter?
Then try this simple lemon juice remedy today!
Lemon juice contains citric acid and alpha hydroxyl acid which acts as a bleaching agent for lightening the lip color. This acidic property of lemon juice gently peels of the dark skin layer of the lips to reveal lighter color of the lips.
- Lemon Juice- 4 to 5 Drops
- Take 4 to 5 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Apply the lemon juice on the lips before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight.
- The next morning rinse off the lemon juice application and follow up with a moisturizer.
- This process must be repeated every night as a natural lip lightener.
Potato Slice Remedy
Potato is yet another solution for how to get rid of dark lips.
Potato contains an enzyme called catecholase which helps in lightening the dark skin on the lips. This remedy will not only lighten the lips but give the lips a rosy pink color too.
- Potato Slice
- Take a potato slice and rub it on your lips.
- Rub the potato slice for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Leave on the application for overnight.
- The next day wash off the application and pat dry the lips.
- Follow up with a lip balm.
- This process can be repeated every night for lightening dark lips easily.
Fuller’s Earth and Honey Remedy
Want to know how to make your lips soft then try this fuller’s earth and honey lip mask.
This mask helps in getting rid of the dry flakes on lips and even restores the natural pink color of the lips.
Fuller’s earth contains natural skin bleaching properties which help in lightening the dark lip color.
Honey is yet another effective natural ingredient which softens and deeply moisturizes the lips and Lighten Dark Lips.
- Fuller’s Earth- ¼ tsp
- Honey- ¼ tsp
- Take a small bowl and add in fuller’s earth.
- Then add in honey into fuller earth.
- Mix well until the ingredients are well combined.
- Then apply this fuller’s earth and honey mask on the lips.
- Allow the lip mask to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wash off the mask with warm water and pat the lips dry.
- Later follow up with a hydrating lip balm.
- This process can be repeated daily once to Lighten Dark Lips easily.
Beetroot Juice and Milk Cream Remedy
Want to know how to get pink lips without using cosmetic products then try this beet and milk cream remedy.
This remedy will not only give a pink tint to the lips but will even help in deeply moisturizing the lips for soft supple lips.
Beetroot contains betanin and vulgaxanthin a potent antioxidant which aids in treating the discoloration of lips and protects the lips from sun damage. The natural pigment of the beets even gives a natural pink tint to the lips.
Milk Cream contains lactic acid for lightening the pigmentation on lips and moisturizes the lips effectively.
- Beet Juice- 1 tsp
- Milk Cream- 1 tbsp
- Take a small bowl and add in 1 tsp of freshly extracted beet juice.
- Then add in 1 tbsp of milk cream into beet juice.
- Mix well and apply this beet and milk cream solution on lips.
- Massage the lips gently in circular motions for 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then leave the application overnight.
- Next morning wash off the application with warm water and pat dry the lips gently.
- Follow up with a hydrating lip balm.
- This process must be repeated daily once at bedtime for pink and soft beautiful lips.
Rose and Milk Remedy
Rose and milk is an amazing combination to lighten black spots on lips and give a natural rosy flush to the lips. Rose in this remedy contains natural skin lightening properties which fades the dark spots on lips.
Milk contains lactic acid which is equally beneficial in lightening the lips and its moisturizing properties hydrates the lips for making lips soft & supple instantly.
- Red Rose Petals- 4 to 5 Nos
- Milk- 1 tbsp.
- Mortar and Pestle
- Firstly take 4 to 5 Nos of fresh red rose petals.
- Then soak the rose petals into 1 tbsp. of lukewarm milk.
- Allow the rose petals to soak for 1 to 2 hours.
- Then add the soaked rose petals with milk into mortar and pestle.
- Grind the rose petals till it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Later apply the rose petal and milk paste on lips evenly.
- Allow the application to dry for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Then wash off the application with plain water and pat dry the lips gently.
- This process can be repeated daily once as an effective and natural lip lightener.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice Remedy
Want to know how to get rid of black lips soon?
Then try this simple apple cider vinegar for lightening black lips and giving lips a pink color naturally.
Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural skin lightener which helps in fading the dark color of the lips and even makes the lips soft and supple. it is also advisable to wash you your face with apple cider vinegar to eliminate age-related spots
- Apple cider vinegar- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 tsp
- Take 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and dilute it with 1 tsp of water.
- Mix the solution well.
- Apple the solution on lips evenly.
- Leave on the application overnight.
- Then next morning wash off the application and pat dry the lips.
- This process can be repeated twice a day morning and evening as an effective lip lightener.
Peppermint and Rose Lip Balm
Want to know how to lighten dark lips and treat chapped lips as well?
Then try this DIY peppermint and rose lip balm to make lips baby soft and also to get rid of dark color of the lips. This natural lip balm contains healing and moisturizing ingredients like Shea butter, castor oil, rose infused oil, beeswax, alkanet root powder and peppermint oil for making the lips plump and supple.
Shea Butter is rich in fatty acids and vitamins which nourishes the lips effectively.
Castor Oil is an amazing natural oil to heal dry and chapped lips which makes the lips appear dark in color.
Peppermint Oil provides a cooling sensation and plumps the lips.
Rose Infused Oil will not only add a beautiful floral fragrance in the lip balm but even nourishes the lips.
Beeswax is an excellent natural moisturizer that helps in protecting the lips from UV rays and preventing further darkening of the lips.
Alkanet Root powder is a natural and safe coloring agent to add a natural rosy tint to the lips.
- Shea Butter- 1 tbsp.
- Castor Oil-1/2 tbsp.
- Peppermint Oil- 15 to 20 Drops
- Rose Infused Oil-2 ½ tbsp.
- Beeswax-1 tbsp.
- Alkanet Root Powder- ¼ tsp
- Jar- For Storage
- Firstly start by taking 1 tbsp. of rose infused oil and add in alkanet root powder in a small bowl.
- Mix well to form a dark red paste consistency and set aside.
- Then take a small saucepan and add in shea butter, castor oil, rose infused oil and beeswax.
- Later heat the oils, butter and beeswax on a double boiler until the ingredients are melted and combined well.
- Then remove the saucepan from heat, add in peppermint oil and stir again.
- Later add in the alkanet root powder infused rose oil, little by little until desired color in the lip balm is achieved.
- Stir well and pour the lip balm in a clean tin or a small jar.
- For usage take required quantity of lip balm and spread it evenly on lips.
- This lip balm can be used as a natural lip lightener and used as a regular lip balm.
Chocolate, Ginger and Agave Lip Balm
Nourishing and moisturizing remedies works the best in preventing lips turning black.
For availing these benefits this natural chocolate, ginger oil and agave lip balm is very effective. This lip balm contains more moisturing ingredients such as cocoa butter, shea butter, walnut oil, beeswax and alkanet root powder to provide deep nourishment and lighten the dark color of the lips simultaneously.
Cocoa Butter is an excellent ingredient to hydrate the lips.
Shea Butter’s fat content makes the lips incredibly moisturized and soft.
Beeswax helps the delicate skin on lips to retain the moisture level and keeps lips supple.
Cocoa Absolute oil has a rich smell of dark chocolate which makes this lip balm smell deliciously chocolaty.
Agave Syrup helps to seal in the moisturizing benefits of this lip balm for treating the drynessof lips easily.
Ginger Essential Oil stimulates the blood flow to the lips for making the lips look plumper.
Walnut Oil is rich in fatty acids which provide deep hydration to the dry chapped lips.
- Cocoa Butter- 2 tbsp.
- Shea Butter-1 tbsp.
- Beeswax- 1 ½ tsp
- Cocoa Absolute Oil- 8 Drops
- Agave Syrup- ½ tsp
- Ginger Essential Oil- 10 Drops
- Walnut Oil-1/2 tsp
- Alkanet Root Powder- ½ tsp
- Small Jar- For Storage
- Take a saucepan and put it on a double boiler.
- Then add in the cocoa butter, shea butter and beeswax into the double boiler.
- Heat the ingredients until all the ingredients are melted and combined together.
- Then add in agave syrup, walnut oil, cocoa absolute and ginger essential oil into the melted butter and stir again.
- Remove from saucepan from heat and add in alkanet root powder and mix well until the color is well incorporated in the butter fluid.
- Later pour the fluid into a clean jar and store in cool dry place.
- For usage take required quantity of lip balm and spread it evenly on the lips.
- This lip balm can be used as a regular lip balm to lighten lips and moisture the lips as well.
So here were the few home remedies for how to lighten dark lips naturally! Apart from these remedies there are a few pointers that one needs to keep in mind.
[Also Read: DIY Egg Mask For Face]
Important Tips to Remember to Lighten Lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and protect your lips with sun protection as the melanin pigment present in the lips can darken the lips easily.
- Limit your consumption of caffeine as tea and coffee can further lead to lip darkening.
- Avoid contact with chlorinated water as it can cause pigmentation of the lips.
- Stay hydrated always, drink at-least 8 to 10 glasses of water to prevent lips from drying and making the lips appear darker in color.
- Indulge in a vitamin and nutrient rich diet with lots of vegetable and fruits as vitamin deficiency can cause lip darkening too.
- Avoid smoking as nicotine is one of the primary reasons for the discoloration of lips.
- Invest in good quality cosmetics as cheap quality cosmetics use harsh chemicals which can further darken the lips.
- Make sure to remove lip products like lipsticks or lip gloss before going to sleep as the prolonged use of cosmetics can darken the lips and dry out the lips.
- Nourish and moisturize your lips with natural ingredients based lip balms and lip butters for soft and rosy pink lips like the ones mentioned here.
- Avoid licking your lips often as it dries out the lips and cause black spots on lips.
All of the above mentioned home remedies for lip discoloration are completely natural and cause no side effect what so ever. Instead of opting for temporary solutions such as cosmetics try these safe and effective home remedies to treat dark lips easily.
If, the condition prolongs it is advisable to consult a specialist.
If you liked our remedies for lip lightening, don’t forget to drop in a line or comment to let us know about which remedy suggested by us worked the best for you.
Watch Video for Lighten dark lips