Have you ever thought of cleansing your teeth with homemade toothpaste?
Brushing teeth is almost the very first thing in the morning that a majority of the masses do.
There are individuals out there blessed with a beautiful, radiant smile, but for most of us, having healthy teeth is a dream that seems almost impossible!
Also, despite our healthy oral hygiene maintaining practices, what most of us experience is regular dental problems.
So, have you ever wondered that what can be the cause for this? If you are still not able to identify then let me tell, it is your toothpaste.
Yes! Might be you are using the best quality and the most expensive commercially available toothpaste to keep your oral problems in check.
But it is not necessary that it is effective enough and providing you with all the needed goodness.
Table of Contents
- Homemade Toothpaste – The Best Solution!
- Commercially Available Toothpaste – The Ugly Truth Behind Them
- Homemade Toothpaste – Why you must go for them Right Now!
- How to Make Homemade Toothpaste – Know the Recipes for the Top 10!
- 1. Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil, Baking Soda, and Peppermint Toothpaste
- 2. Turmeric, Extra-virgin Coconut Oil, Baking Soda Toothpaste
- 3. How to Make Toothpaste with Turmeric, Mustard Oil, Neem Extract or Neem Oil
- 4. Coconut Oil, Real Sea Salt, Clove Essential Oil, and Bentonite Clay
- 5. How to Make Toothpaste with Vegetable Glycerin, Guar Gum, Baking Soda, and Citrus Essential Oil
- 6. Baking Soda, Clove Essential oil, Peppermint Extracts, Real Sea Salt Toothpaste
- 7. Xylitol, Coconut Oil, Cinnamon Powder, and Seal Salt
- 8. Activated Charcoal, Bentonite Clay, Liquid Stevia, Indian Lilac Extracts, and Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 9. Calcium Powder, Coconut Oil, Peppermint Oil, and Tea Tree Oil
- 10. Orange Peel Extracts, Lemon Peel Extracts, Licorice Extracts, Aloe Vera, Baking Soda
Homemade Toothpaste – The Best Solution!
The simplest and the best solution are to use homemade toothpaste that can be prepared conveniently within your budget.
I would like to jot down few reasons to help you know why homemade toothpaste is best.
But before that, let me list few traits that make commercially available toothpaste bad for your oral health.
Commercially Available Toothpaste – The Ugly Truth Behind Them
Commercially available toothpaste is like using chemical based beauty products on your teeth. Besides this, the other reasons that make them so harmful and damaging to the teeth and health are jotted right below!
- Commercial toothpaste includes harmful toxic ingredients, like triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate, and fluoride. Each one of these ingredients are proven to cause harms to the body in one way or the other.
- Triclosan is one of the most readily used ingredients in such toothpaste. It is a proven endocrine disruptor that can unbalance the hormone regulation.
- Fluoride can cause a lasting effect on your pineal glands and bones. It can disrupt the functioning of your brain.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate, another active ingredient in this toothpaste is an excellent foaming agent but also a carcinogen. Regular use of this can result in lasting irritation. It can even lead to gum inflammation.
- Artificial sweeteners, like saccharin and sorbitol, are largely used in commercial toothpaste to enhance their taste. However, they can be really harmful to the body if digested.
- Glycerin is great to enhance the texture of the toothpaste. But regular use of glycerin can develop a thick layer of coating on the teeth and can make your teeth appear yellowish over time.
Homemade Toothpaste – Why you must go for them Right Now!
Homemade toothpaste is all natural. But this is just one primary reason to use them. The other good traits of homemade toothpaste are,
- They are prepared from natural ingredients. Hence, they will never ever cause any harm to your teeth.
- If you love trying different products and ingredients to maintain your oral health, then toothpaste prepared at home can be an excellent option. You can customize them as per your preference and requirement.
- They are cost-effective. You can buy the required ingredients in bulk and prepare a fresh batch every time. This will always be friendly to your budget.
- Regular use of homemade whitening toothpaste can alleviate major oral problems without even requiring any visit to the dentist.
- Natural ingredients are equally effective as chemical products. While the effectiveness is revealed at a slower pace, but the results are awesome and lasting.
Now you have known all the goods about the natural toothpaste prepared at home. So, definitely you would want to know how to make homemade toothpaste.
Without taking much of your time, I bring you the 10 best recipes to prepare most amazing toothpaste at home and within your budget!
How to Make Homemade Toothpaste – Know the Recipes for the Top 10!
1. Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil, Baking Soda, and Peppermint Toothpaste
It is one of the best recipes for how to make natural toothpaste in just minutes.
Extra Virgin Coconut oil is an excellent natural ingredient to prepare toothpaste at home. It is rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Even it is known to clean the mouth from plague, toothache causing germs, and combats bad breath problems. For this reason, it is even one of the most used oil for oil pulling.
Baking soda is an abrasive cleansing agent (1) that can help your teeth stay bright and white. Also, it destroys the acids in the mouth and hence alleviates bad breath problem.
Peppermint oil provides a cooling and refreshing effect. You can add it to enhance the taste of your homemade toothpaste.
- Extra – virgin coconut oil
- Baking Soda
- Peppermint Oil
- Take 2tbsps of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Take 2tbsps of baking soda.
- Mix the two ingredients together and add 10 to 15 drops of peppermint oil in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients in a non-metallic bowl and with a non-metallic spoon till you get a smooth consistency.
- If the consistency is thick, then you may add few drops of water.
- Your natural toothpaste is ready to use.
Using this toothpaste daily will prevent your teeth and gums from oral problems. It will also keep the bad breath away and impart a radiant shine to your teeth.
2. Turmeric, Extra-virgin Coconut Oil, Baking Soda Toothpaste
Another amazing homemade toothpaste recipe is by using extra virgin coconut oil, baking soda, and turmeric.
Baking soda is a powerful agent that cleans the teeth well. It is an ideal ingredient to keep the teeth white and prevents depositing of the yellowish layer over the teeth.
Adding turmeric will enhance the functionality of your homemade toothpaste. Turmeric possesses rich anti-inflammatory, anti-plague, and antibacterial properties that keep gingivitis and toothaches problems at bay.
Extra virgin coconut oil is great to kill the germs and bad breath causing acids from the mouth.
It is high in lauric acid and prevents problems, such as gum ailments, bad breath, and toothaches.
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Baking Soda
- Take 2 parts of extra virgin coconut oil.
- 2 parts of baking soda and mix both of them.
- 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well and your toothpaste is ready to use.
This toothpaste is great to prevent teeth from all types of bacterial or oral health issues. It will keep your teeth white, gums healthy, and bad breath away.
3. How to Make Toothpaste with Turmeric, Mustard Oil, Neem Extract or Neem Oil
This is another amazing homemade toothpaste recipe. Turmeric is rich in anti-plaque, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is excellent to keep dental issues away.
Neem, also known as Indian Lilac, or Margosa, is an excellent toothpaste ingredient to use.
It contains high antiseptic and antibacterial properties that kill bacteria causing cavities, combat gingivitis, plaque, and other gum problems. Even is provides lasting fresh breath.
Mustard oil is great to keep teeth white. It is even an ancient method to prevent white deposits from forming on the teeth.
- Mustard Oil
- Neem or Indian Lilac Extracts
- Take 2tbsps of mustard oil.
- Add ¼ tbsp. of turmeric powder into it.
- Add 10 to 14 drops of neem extract and mix all the ingredients well.
- If required, then you can add few drops of lukewarm water to the mixture.
- Mix well till you get the required consistency.
- Use this toothpaste for at least 30 seconds daily.
While Indian Lilac extracts and turmeric powder will keep all infectious elements away from your teeth, mustard oil will keep them shining and white.
4. Coconut Oil, Real Sea Salt, Clove Essential Oil, and Bentonite Clay
The benefits of coconut oil have already been discussed. Here I will tell you how to make natural toothpaste with Bentonite clay.
Bentonite clay efficiently absorbs harmful toxins, impurities, and heavy metals from the gums (2).
It is great to fight away all sorts of impurities from the mouth. Also, this clay is rich in minerals. Hence, when used as a paste it treats burns and gum wounds.
You must be aware of the goodness of cloves, and the clove essential oil possesses a high content of such goodness. It is great to soothe all sorts of gum problems and gum pain.
Real sea salt is an excellent source to keep teeth white and free from all sorts of plaque problems.
- Bentonite Clay
- Real Sea Salt
- Coconut Oil
- Clove Essential Oil or Clove Extracts
- Take 2tbsps of coconut oil.
- Take 2tbsp of Bentonite clay powder and ¼ tbsp. of real sea salt into it.
- Add 10 to 15 drops of clove essential oil into the mixture.
- Mix well all the ingredients till you get toothpaste-like
- Use this toothpaste every morning and you will notice the difference from the very first day.
This toothpaste is excellent to keep your gums healthy, your teeth white, and to alleviate even existing gum and tooth problems.
5. How to Make Toothpaste with Vegetable Glycerin, Guar Gum, Baking Soda, and Citrus Essential Oil
Vegetable glycerin is used in toothpaste to keep its texture smooth. Also, glycerin is good to keep your gums healthy.
Guar gum is another excellent natural ingredient that is great to fight all kinds of gum problems.
If you suffer from a toothache or any similar conditions, then you can combat it completely with guar gum.
While baking soda is great to keep the teeth the white, citrus essential extracts will ensure that you never experience any bad breath problem.
- Vegetable oil
- Citrus Essential Oil
- Guar Gum
- Baking Soda
- Take ½ tbsp guar gum, 4tbsp baking soda, 2tbsp vegetable glycerin and mix them all together.
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and cook on low heat for few minutes.
- Stir frequently and let the mixture cool down.
- Add 8 to 10 drops of citrus essential oil to enhance the taste.
- Mix well to get a smooth consistency and store the mixture in a sterile jar.
This is incredible toothpaste that effectively cures all gum problems. It possesses rich flavor, keeps bad breath away, and ensure that your teeth are white and healthy.
6. Baking Soda, Clove Essential oil, Peppermint Extracts, Real Sea Salt Toothpaste
If you want to know how to make homemade toothpaste easily, then this one is just perfect for you.
Both baking soda and sea salt are great ingredients to maintain the white, shiny color of the teeth.
A regular application of these ingredients on teeth prevents depositing of any yellow layer on the surface.
Clove essential extracts work wonders in fighting the gum problems. It ensures that your gums are never infected with any kind of problem. Hence, it enhances the overall health of the teeth.
For those who suffer from bad breath problem, peppermint extract is an amazing remedy for them.
Peppermint oil will impart refreshing feeling to your mouth. Also, it kills all the plaque and bad-breath causing bacteria.
- Baking Soda
- Clove Essential Oil
- Peppermint Extracts
- Real Sea Salt
- This is one of the easiest to prepare toothpaste. All the ingredients are readily available in the market or online.
- Take 2tbsp of baking soda, 1tbsp of real sea salt and mix both of them well.
- Add 10 drops of clove essential oil and 10 drops of peppermint extracts.
- If required then you can few drops of lukewarm water to avail toothpaste-like
- You may use this toothpaste every morning and night.
It will keep your gums healthy, impart strength to your teeth, keep bad breath at bay, and will help in whitening of teeth.
7. Xylitol, Coconut Oil, Cinnamon Powder, and Seal Salt
Learn how to make homemade toothpaste with just 4 readily available ingredients.
It is an excellent teeth whitening toothpaste that ensures that your teeth enamel remains prevented and is the least abrasive recipe.
Xylitol possesses high abilities to reduce the cavity-causing bacteria (3). It is a sweetener that attracts bacteria from the mouth and keeps your teeth healthy and fresh.
The benefits of sea salt and coconut oil have already been discussed. As these two ingredients possess excellent qualities, they are being readily used in preparing toothpaste at home.
Besides offering a rich taste to the toothpaste, cinnamon powder possesses antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Sea Salt
- Cinnamon Powder
- Coconut Oil
- Take 2tbsps of coconut oil and add 1tbsp of xylitol powder into it.
- Also, add 1tbsp sea salt and one pinch of cinnamon powder.
- You can also use cinnamon extracts or cinnamon oil instead of the cinnamon powder.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- If there is a requirement, then you may add a little lukewarm water or few drops of glycerin.
This is an amazing teeth whitening toothpaste. Using it on a daily basis will ensure that no yellowish layer is deposited on your teeth. Even your teeth will remain free from all sorts of bacterial and fungal problems.
8. Activated Charcoal, Bentonite Clay, Liquid Stevia, Indian Lilac Extracts, and Sweet Orange Essential Oil
This is the best recipe to prepare powerful homemade whitening toothpaste. It will treat yellow teeth problem and keep your gums healthy.
The surprise is that it is one of the best homemade toothpastes for kids.
The core ingredient of this toothpaste is activated charcoal that attracts all the yellowish components, bacteria, and bad breath causing elements from the mouth.
This is a highly powerful component that starts its functionality from the very first day.
Bentonite clay is rich mineral attracting dirt and diseases causing bacteria from the mouth. Indian Lilac extract is an excellent source to maintain the gum’s health.
Liquid stevia and orange essential oils are great sweeteners that are optional to add. But if you are preparing homemade toothpaste for kids, then you must go for it.
- Activated Charcoal
- Bentonite Clay
- Liquid Stevia
- Indian Lilac Extracts
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- Take a medium-size glass bowl and add coconut oil, Bentonite clay, and baking soda to it.
- Mix them well and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well till you get the required consistency.
- Store the mixture in a jar or a tube to avail convenience while usage.
- Your toothpaste is ready to use and you can use it for an entire week. Prepare a fresh batch after one week to get all the benefits of these ingredients.
This is excellent toothpaste that will always keep your teeth white. It fights all the gum and oral health problems. Using it regularly will keep your teeth strong, gums healthy, and your breath fresh.
9. Calcium Powder, Coconut Oil, Peppermint Oil, and Tea Tree Oil
This is very purposeful and effective homemade toothpaste recipe that you will definitely love.
The Coconut oil is rich in Lauric acid, which possesses natural antimicrobial properties. The peppermint oil and tea tree oil are also rich in antibacterial properties.
Using them for oral health ensures that your oral problems always stay at bay.
The benefit of calcium powder is known for ages and helps to maintain efficient calcium build up.
This toothpaste also includes baking soda that possesses excellent abrasive properties and even a small part of it can cleanse your teeth well.
The xylitol in the toothpaste is a two-fold beneficiary product. It prevents sticking of harmful bacteria to the teeth. It also acts as an excellent sweetener.
- 4tbsp calcium powder
- 2tbsp Xylitol
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tbsp. baking soda
- 10 to 14 drops of peppermint oil
- 10 to 15 drops of tea tree oil
- Trace minerals (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients well except the calcium powder.
- Now add calcium powder to the mixture only when everything is well blended. This is important to make sure that you get a smooth consistency free from any lumps.
- Prepare a nice paste from the mixture.
- Put it in a glass jar or in a tube
- Use it every day like you use any other commercial toothpaste.
This toothpaste will keep your teeth strong, healthy, and white. It fights all kinds of oral problems resulting from the bacterial or microbial attacks.
10. Orange Peel Extracts, Lemon Peel Extracts, Licorice Extracts, Aloe Vera, Baking Soda
Learn how to make natural toothpaste with this simple recipe.
Orange peel and lemon peel extracts are both highly powerful ingredients that help to cleanse the teeth well. They work incredibly well to maintain the health of the teeth and gums.
Aloe Vera gel is another excellent ingredient to maintain the health of the teeth. But it is essential that you take Aloe Vera gel from the herb and not go for the market-based gels.
Licorice root has a strong flavor and is even rich in antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It keeps a strict check on the gum problems and provides you with a fresh breath.
- Orange Peel Extract
- Lemon Peel Extract
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Licorice Root
- Baking Soda
- Water, if required
- Take all the ingredients in a glass or wooden bowl and mix them well.
- Mix them together till you get the required consistency.
- Store the mixture and use it on a daily basis to get healthy and shiny teeth.
It is a very rich toothpaste that can prevent you experiencing any oral problem. Not only does it keep the teeth healthy, but also imparts excellent strength to them.
You can prepare customized homemade toothpaste for yourself as per your unique requirements.
Regular use of this toothpaste will keep your teeth white, shiny, strong, and keep away all the oral problems.
You can even add your favorite ingredient to any of these toothpaste recipes in order to create the best homemade whitening toothpaste for yourself.
But in case you are suffering from excessive oral problems, then you need reliable medical toothpaste. For this, it is suggested to consult a dental expert immediately.
Once you combat your dental problems to the fullest, you may then use these amazing homemade toothpaste in order to get a radiant and shiny smile. So, try them out! You will surely you will love them!