Constipation is one of the most common and awkward health conditions. Although it is a temporary health condition but can cause extreme discomfort and uneasiness for an individual.
Causes of Constipation:
Well there is no one cause that can result in constipation as it’s a result of combination of things happening inside of your body.
- Improper Diet
- Low Fibre Diet
- Lack of Hydration
- Lack of Proper Sleep
- Lack of Nutrition in Diet
- Excessive Smoking
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption
- Lack of Physical Activity
- Intestinal Blockages
- Neurological Conditions
- Thyroid Problems
Most often people fail to notice the initial signs of constipation and when these initial signs are ignored it can lead to severe constipation which eventually leads to getting it operated.
So the initial signs or symptoms of constipation that one must make sure to notice and take immediate action about are mentioned below:
Symptoms of Constipation:
- Mild to Intense Strain during Bowel Movement
- Hard Stools
- Inflammation after Bowel Movement
- Mild to Severe Abdominal Pain before and after the bowel movement
When the above mentioned signs of constipation are ignored it can also lead to some serious health concerns such as the following:
- Rectal Prolapse
- Anal Fissures
- Fecal Impaction
Now that you have gained some basic knowledge about the causes and symptoms of constipation let us now proceed with the treatment for constipation.
There are many topical treatments and over the counter medications available for treating constipation but the best way to treat this common health condition is with the use of laxatives. Now there are many medical brands that offer laxatives but most of them are addictive in such a way that it can disrupt the natural bowel movement of your body.
Hence it is best suggested to try some natural remedies and ingredients that help in relieving constipation addiction free. One such natural and most preferred ingredient for treating constipation is Epsom salt.
Yes this may sound completely crazy but Epsom salt for constipation does work wonders.
Epsom salts are nothing but a mixture or combination of different salts and this helps in relieving from constipation quite effectively. Epsom salt contains a high amount of magnesium sulfate that acts as a laxative with is not addictive in nature like the ones available in the market.
The magnesium sulfate content in the Epsom salt helps in promoting better digestion, cleanses the colon and also acts as a natural detoxifying agent by treating constipation effectively.
Therefore now it has been clearly proven that the remedy of Epsom salt as a laxative is an effective and safe one for treating constipation without having to worry about the side effects or the addiction factor.
There are different ways of using Epsom salt as laxative and some of the most preferred and recommended ones are mentioned in this article. So read further and discover how you can get rid of constipation easily and without any medication or treatment.
Epsom Salt for Constipation Using Home Remedies
1. Epsom Salt and Fruit Juice Remedy
Epsom salt for constipation is one of the most effective ingredients to relieve from constipation.
If you are wondering how to use Epsom salt as a laxative then read further and learn now.
Adding any fruit juice to Epsom salt will work as the best tasting and extremely helpful remedy for treating constipation.
- Epsom Salt – 2 tsp
- Fruit Juice – 1 Glass
- Add some Epsom salt to a glass of fruit juice.
- Mix this well until the salt is well combined with the juice.
- Now drink this solution for at least twice in a day.
- This Epsom salt for constipation laxative recipe works extremely well in treating constipation as well as detoxifies your body.
2. Epsom Salt and Water Remedy
This simple remedy is for those who are unsure about how to use Epsom salt for constipation.
All you need to do to get an immediate relief from constipation is to try out this quick and easy one step remedy and you won’t be disappointed for a bit.
- Epsom Salt – 2-3 tsp
- Water – 1 Glass
- Add some Epsom salt into a glass of water and mix this well.
- Now drink this solution immediately.
- This remedy using Epsom salt for constipation works immediately and relieves constipation within minutes of consumption.
[ Also Read: Top 14 Home Remedies for Flu That Really Works]
3. Epsom Salt Bath Soak Remedy
Allowing your skin to absorb the Epsom salt works equally effective as consuming them would benefit you for treating constipation.
This Epsom salt laxative remedy may sound different but is extremely helpful in easing out your bowels for curing constipation naturally. A bath using Epsom salt is as effective as consumption would be.
- Epsom Salt – 1-2 tbsp
- Warm Bath Water
- Add some Epsom salt to your warm bath water.
- Now soak in this bath water for at least 15-20 mins.
- This bath remedy with Epsom salt for constipation is the best way to treat and prevent yourself from constipation.
- This bath remedy also works wonders in soothing muscles and reduces inflammation in the body post workouts.
- This remedy causes no side effect what so ever and can be continued everyday once.
4. Epsom Salt, Water & Lemon Juice Remedy
The strong bitter taste of Epsom salt may not be preferred by many so this change of taste in the drink is perfect for those who wish to get rid of constipation and at the same time don’t really like the taste of Epsom salt.
Adding lemon juice in this remedy not only adds some freshness to the taste but also helps in treating constipation as it is naturally packed with vitamin C.
So try this quick and helpful Epsom salt for constipation remedy and get rid of this discomforting health concern!
- Epsom Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 Glass
- Lemon Juice – 5-6 Drops
- Add some Epsom salt and lemon juice into a glass of water.
- Now mix this well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Now drink this solution immediately.
- This remedy using Epsom salt as a laxative is the best way to detoxify the body as well as get rid of constipation naturally.
- This remedy can be followed at least once in a week to treat and prevent from constipation.
5. Warm Epsom Salt & Water Drink Remedy
This remedy is just as same as the previous one but with a little twist that works even faster in treating constipation.
Several scientific studies have proven the fact that warm water helps in treating digestive disorders such as constipation and combining this guaranteed remedy with Epsom salts will only be more beneficial.
- Epsom Salt – 2-3 tsp
- Water – 1 Cup
- Firstly add some water into the saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Now add some Epsom salt into this water and stir it for at least 2-3 mins.
- Later take it off the heat and transfer it into a cup and sip it slowly.
- This remedy using Epsom salt as laxative needs to be repeated only if needed.
- If within 3-4 hours you don’t feel any change in the bowel movement then you can repeat the process just one more time.
- The affect of Epsom salt to ease constipation only starts to work within an hour or two.
[ Also Read: 17 Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea]
6. Epsom Salt, Ginger Powder & Baking Soda Bath Soak Remedy
Are you looking for an ultimate spa like experience with just a regular Epsom salt bath for constipation?
Then read further and discover the amazing bath soak benefits for treating constipation.
Baking soda is known for its skin cleansing properties and adding this to the warm bath water further helps in relaxing the rectal muscles that could’ve been strained due to constipation and also eases the bowel movement.
Ginger powder is known to contain a high amount of natural dietary fibers that also helps in easing out the natural bowel movement and treats constipation.
So try this quick and highly effective Epsom salt laxative recipe and get rid of constipation immediately!
- Epsom Salt – 2 Cups
- Ginger Powder – ½ Cup
- Baking Soda – ½ Cup
- Warm Bath Water
- This remedy works best if you have a bath tub and in case you don’t you can also try this with a bucket full of warm water.
- Now into the bath tub or a bucket full of warm water add in the Epsom salt, ginger powder and the baking soda.
- Mix this well until all the three ingredients are well dissolved in the water.
- Now soak in this water for at least 20-30 mins.
- This helps in allowing the body to absorb the magnesium and eliminate the toxins from the body including the intestines.
- This remedy works as a natural detoxification remedy using Epsom salt for constipation.
- Repeat this process for treating constipation for at least 3 times in a week for best results.
7. Epsom Salt Bath Remedy for Children
According to most of the pediatrician’s the first and foremost sign of a healthy child is to have about 2-3 stools on a daily basis and any less than that it is a clear case of constipation in children.
This is where using Epsom salt as laxative can be of best help for relieving constipation in children.
However it is strictly recommended that this remedy should not be used for children less than 6 years of age.
Try this remedy and you won’t be disappointed!
- Epsom Salt – ½ Cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Warm Bath Water
- Firstly add in some Epsom salt into the lukewarm bath water and mix it well until the salt dissolves well into the water.
- Now let the child soak into this water for at least 10-15 mins strictly under the surveillance of an adult or a parent.
- Once done pat the skin dry of the child and take some extra virgin olive oil into the palms of your hand and apply it over the abdominal area of the child.
- Now gently massage the oil in clock wise motion and make sure to just gently massage and not rub the abdominal area.
- Do this for at least 4-5 mins.
- This helps in relaxing the abdominal area and also improves the bowel movement and further helps with the complete Epsom salt laxative recipe.
- This remedy needs to be followed just once in a day and you can repeat this for 2-3 times in a week to get complete relief from constipation in children.
[ Also Read: Excellent Ways to use Olive Oil for Constipation]
8. Magnesium Flakes Foot Bath Remedy
Magnesium flakes is another type or version of Epsom salt that is used in treating constipation.
Yes the title of the remedy may sound completely crazy but this remedy has been scientifically proven to treat constipation quite effectively.
So if you are looking for helpful salt water for constipation remedies then this is just the one for you!
- Magnesium Flakes – 1 Cup
- Warm Water – 1 Large Bowl or Bucket
- For this remedy you will need a large bowl of warm water that can take space of your feet comfortably or you can also use a bucket for best comfort.
- Now into this add in the magnesium flakes and mix it well until it dissolves into the water.
- Now let your feet soak into this water for at least 30-40 mins.
- Later take your feet out of the bowl and pat them dry.
- This process works the best just before going to bed at night as it helps in giving you the best easy bowel movement in the mornings.
- One can follow this quick remedy 2-3 times in a week.
So these were our top most recommendations for remedies using Epsom salt for constipation. Apart from these health benefits there are many other health beneficial properties that Epsom salt are rich and helpful in.
Important Tips & Suggestions for Using Epsom Salt for constipation:
- Just by soaking your feet or the whole body in Epsom salt infused bath water one can easily increase the internal magnesium levels which eventually is a great natural treatment for the prevention and cure of constipation.
- Epsom salt are a great way of reducing stress levels in the body and this also aids in preventing constipation as stress is one of the primary causes of constipation.
- Epsom salt are packed with sulfates and this helps in flushing out the toxins from the body and this process is known as detoxifying the body and is the ultimate cure for constipation.
- Epsom salt baths or soaks are a great way of improving and normalizing the blood sugar levels in the body.
- Epsom salt also help in reducing the inflammation in the intestines caused due to constipation so if you experience stomach cramps due to severe constipation then Epsom salt baths are a great way to relieve them.
- Several health specialists also recommend the intake of magnesium supplements anywhere between 200-250mg. This immediately provides a relief from the symptoms of constipation and is also considered as an alternate form of Epsom salt laxative recipe.
All of the above mentioned remedies and tips present in this article are completely natural, safe and cause no side effect what so ever.
However if the constipation prolongs for a longer period of time then it is best suggested to consult a health specialist for the same.
Do drop in a line and let us know if at all any of the remedies using Epsom salt for constipation as a laxative recommended by us in this article was of any help to you and how. We would love to hear from you and know your opinion about the same in order to suggest you with better natural suggestions.