Dry nose is probably one of the most common concerns amongst people. Although this condition is not a very serious medical concern but can be extremely discomforting.
If dry nasal is not treated at an early stage it can lead to health concerns such as headaches, sinus attacks and some more ailments like these.
Mainly this dry nasal passage condition is caused by environmental conditions like dry winds, usage of decongestant medicines, nasal sprays or cold and flu as well.
The dry winds, medications and cold and flu rob off the mucous membranes of the nostrils which maintain the moisture levels in the nostrils.
The mucous membranes help in preventing the harmful foreign bodies from entering into our system through inhalation.
Table of Contents
- Natural Home Remedies for Dry Nostrils:
- 1. Coconut Oil Remedy
- 2. Almond Oil Remedy
- 3. Salt Water Saline
- 4. Sesame Seeds Oil and Chamomile Oil Remedy
- 5. Petroleum Jelly Remedy
- 6. Glycerine Remedy
- 7. Aloe Vera Gel for Dry Nostrils
- 8. Steam Inhalation with Carom Seeds and Peppermint Oil Remedy
- 8. Olive Oil Remedy
- 9. Vitamin E Oil Remedy
- 10. Mustard Oil Remedy
- 11. Clarified Butter Remedy
- 12. Eucalyptus Oil Remedy
- 13. Sauna Bath Remedy
- Important tips for Preventing Dry Nostrils:
Some of the symptoms to identify dry nose are:
- Soreness in Nostrils
- Excessive Dryness
- Pain and Irritation
To treat these symptoms of dry nose people often opt for medicated treatments which often provide temporary relief and are packed with some harmful side effects too.
But did you know there are some effective and inexpensive home remedies which provide an instant relief and cure the symptoms of dry nose completely within short period of time.
Another biggest advantage of opting for home remedies is that they don’t cause any harm to your health.
So here are a few effective and most importantly harmless home remedies for dry nostrils:
Natural Home Remedies for Dry Nostrils:
1. Coconut Oil Remedy
Suffering from dry nose and every medication fails to provide any relief then try this dry nose remedy.
This remedy contains coconut oil which is known to a remedy for almost every health ailment because of its moisturizing and anti bacterial properties.
Moreover in dry nose condition coconut oil emollient is excellent for treating dryness in the nostrils.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- ½ tsp
- Cotton Swab- 1 Nos
- Take a microwave proof bowl and add in ½ tsp of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Then heat the oil until its liquid consistency and lukewarm or until 30 seconds.
- Later take a clean cotton swab and dip it into the lukewarm coconut oil.
- Then apply the coconut oil saturated cotton swab inside each nostril so that the nostril is well coated with coconut oil.
- This process can be repeated 3 times a day for 2 to 3 days or until the dry nostrils symptoms has completely cured.
2. Almond Oil Remedy
Dry nose can be irritating and painful as well especially in the cold weathers.
To treat itchy nostrils one of the easily available natural ingredients in every household is Almond oil.
This oil contains great moisturizing and healing properties which is highly beneficial for the dry nose symptoms.
- Almond Oil- ½ tsp
- Cotton Swab- 1 Nos
- Take a cotton swab or a small cotton ball.
- Then dip the cotton swab or cotton ball into almond oil.
- Apply this almond oil saturated cotton swab in the inside of the nostrils and make sure the nostrils are well coated with the oil.
- This remedy must be repeated twice a day for 2 to 3 days to moisturize dry nasal passages.
3. Salt Water Saline
Nose congestion is also one of the most common symptoms of dry nose which aggravates the uneasiness further.
To cure the congestion and dryness saline water is an effective remedy. This simple dry nose remedy only consists of salt and water which acts as a decongestant, antiseptic and relieves pain immediately.
- Sea Salt- 1 tsp
- Water- ½ Cup
- Spray Bottle
- Take ½ cup of water and add in 1 tsp of sea salt.
- Stir well until the salt is well dissolved.
- Then fill a spray bottle with the saline water solution.
- Later bend your head downwards and spray the saline solution into the nostrils and blow it saline spray out after 10 to 12 seconds.
- This process must be repeated 3 to 4 times for 2 to 3 days for treating dry nostrils.
4. Sesame Seeds Oil and Chamomile Oil Remedy
Is dry nose and throat causing you a lot of discomfort?
Then try this natural oil based remedy. This remedy contains moisturizing oil blends of sesame seeds and chamomile.
Sesame seeds oil (1) is proven to be better in providing faster relief from nasal dryness compared to any medicated nasal spray.
Blending chamomile oil along with sesame seeds oils enhances the benefits to treat nose congestion and provide faster relief from dryness in nostrils.
- Sesame Seeds Oil- 3 to 4 Drops
- Chamomile Oil- 3 to 4 Drops
- Cotton Ball- 1 Nos
- Firstly take a small bowl and add in drops of sesame seeds oil and chamomile oil.
- Mix the oils well and saturate a cotton ball with the oils.
- Now apply the cotton ball inside the nostrils.
- Make sure that the nostrils are well coated with the oil.
- This process must be repeated 2 to 3 times a day for 3 to 4 days to treat dry nasal passages completely and naturally.
5. Petroleum Jelly Remedy
Looking for remedies for immediate relief from dry nostrils and heal the cracked skin in the nostrils?
Then try one of the most commonly used ingredients for moisturizing and healing the dry skin which is petroleum jelly.
- Petroleum Jelly- ¼ tsp
- Cotton Swab- 1 Nos
- Take a cotton swab and dip it into petroleum jelly.
- Then wipe off the excess petroleum jelly from the cotton swab.
- Later apply the petroleum jelly with the help of the cotton swab inside the nostrils evenly.
- Make sure not to inhale the petroleum jelly into the lungs.
- This process can be repeated twice a day for 1 to 2 days as a dry nose remedy.
6. Glycerine Remedy
Itchy and painful nostrils can cause a lot of uneasiness and treating these symptoms at the earliest is the best possible solution to avoid worsening of the dry nostril passage condition.
For preventing and treating the dryness and pain in nostrils glycerin is proven to be highly beneficial.
Glycerin has many skin benefits as it acts as a natural emollient which protects the dry nose and provides an instant relief from pain.
- Glycerin- 1 to 2 Drops
- Lie flat on your back firstly.
- Then with the help of a dropper, pour a drop of glycerin directly in each nostril.
- Lie back and relax for few minutes.
- This process must be repeated 1 to 2 times a day for 2 to 3 days or until the dry nostrils symptoms have abated.
7. Aloe Vera Gel for Dry Nostrils
Method 1: Aloe Vera Gel Remedy
One of the popular home remedies for dry nostrils is aloe vera gel. As the plant based gel is an excellent moisturizer and contains potent anti-bacterial properties.
These properties and the high vitamin and mineral content of aloe vera gel helps in healing the damaged and cracked skin tissues in the nostrils faster.
- Aloe Vera Gel- ¼ tsp
- Take preferably fresh aloe vera gel right from the leaf.
- Then apply the aloe vera gel inside the nostrils, make sure the gel is coated well inside the nostrils.
- Leave on the application as a moisturizer to treat dry nasal passage.
- This process can be repeated twice a day for 2 to 3 days or until the symptoms have completely abated.
Method 2: Aloe Vera and Sweet Almond Oil Remedy
Looking for treatment to cure dry nasal passages and bleeding from cracked skin in nostrils then this easy home remedy with aloe vera gel and sweet almond oil is just the one for you.
This remedy not only provides substantial relief from irritation and pain but even helps in fastening the healing process of the inflamed skin in the nostrils.
Sweet almond oil contains intense skin moisturizing properties and this helps in speeding up the healing process of the dry passage in the nasal.
The moisturizing and antibacterial benefits of aloe vera along with skin healing properties of sweet almond oil is an excellent treatment for the symptoms of dryness in nostrils.
- Aloe Vera Gel- ¼ tsp
- Sweet Almond Oil- ¼ tsp
- Q-tip- 1 Nos
- Take a small bowl and add in ¼ tsp of aloe vera gel and sweet almond oil.
- Mix well until the ingredients are well combined.
- Then dip the Q-tip in this solution.
- Later coat the inside of the nostrils with this aloe vera gel and sweet almond oil combination evenly.
- This process can be repeated twice a day for 1 to 2 days as an effective dry nose remedy.
8. Steam Inhalation with Carom Seeds and Peppermint Oil Remedy
Are intense dry nose and throat causing headaches and no remedy seems to work to provide immediate relief then try this steam inhalation remedy.
This steam inhalation works instantly to moisten the dry mucous membranes in the nostrils and acts as a decongestant.
Carom seeds (2) in this steam inhalation remedy not only helps to moisturize the dry nostrils but even enhances the benefits of steam to counter the congestion in chest immediately.
Whereas peppermint oil soothes the dry throat and eases the irritation in nose and throat.
So ultimately this remedy is one of the most effective ways to treat this irritating nose concern!
- Water- 1 Litre
- Carom Seeds- 1 tbsp.
- Peppermint Essential Oil- 2 to 3 Drops
- Coconut Oil- 2 to 3 Drops
- Towel- 1 Nos
- Take a large bowl add 1 liter of water and 1 tbsp. of carom seeds into it.
- Then cover the bowl and bring the water to a boil.
- After the water comes to vigorous boil remove the water from the heat.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of peppermint essential oil into the water.
- Then remove the lid from the bowl and hold you face close to water and hands width apart.
- Later cover face with a towel so that the steam does not escape.
- Inhale the steam for approximately for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Later moisturize the dry nostrils with coconut oil.
- This steam inhalation process can be repeated thrice a day for reducing discomfort and easing the irritation in the throat.
8. Olive Oil Remedy
Nasal congestion and dry nose are one of the common complaints amongst people who are constantly exposed to dry winds or air conditioners.
Although being a common concern it cannot be ignored for longer time.
For treating these symptoms olive oil is considered an effective and the most natural remedy.
Olive oil is loaded with vitamin E (3) and skin nourishing properties and this helps to hydrate the mucous membrane and also alleviates the inflammation and redness easily.
- Olive Oil- 2 to 3 Drops
- Cotton Swap- Optional
- Firstly take olive oil in a dropper.
- Then pour 1 to 2 drops of olive oil in the nostrils.
- You can even use a cotton swab saturated with olive oil to apply the oil in the nostrils.
- Lie down flat on the back for few minutes and relax.
- This process can be repeated 2 times a day for 2 to 3 days or until you notice significant improvement in the condition of dry nasal passage.
9. Vitamin E Oil Remedy
Dryness in nostrils is not only discomforting but can cause immense pain as well. To treat this condition and prevent aggravation of this condition Vitamin E is proven to be extremely beneficial.
Vitamin E is enriched with properties which help in repairing the skin cells and providing deep hydration to the skin. These properties are perfect for treating the dryness in nose as well.
- Vitamin E Oil- 1 Capsule
- Q-tip- 1 Nos
- Take a small bowl and cut open a vitamin E oil capsule with the help of a scissors.
- Empty the oil content in the bowl.
- Then dip a Q-tip into the vitamin E oil.
- Later tilt your head upwards and apply the vitamin E oil saturated cotton swab inside the nostrils.
- Make sure the nostrils are coated well with vitamin E oil.
- This process can be repeated 2 to 3 times a day for 2 to 3 days as an effective dry nose remedy.
10. Mustard Oil Remedy
Cold and flu is one of the reasons for dry nasal passages and to get rid of the dryness mustard oil is considered as the most effective natural alternative.
Mustard oil’s consistency being greasy and moisturizing it is beneficial in treating this condition.
Moreover mustard oil contains anti-bacterial properties (4) and this further even helps in fighting cold and flu symptoms easily. As this oil is beneficial in clearing the congestion in nose and chest which is one of the causes of dryness in nostrils.
- Mustard Oil- 2 to 3 Drops
- Firstly take mustard oil in a dropper.
- Then pour 2 to 3 drops of mustard oil in each nostril.
- Later inhale slowly so that the mustard oil reaches deeper into the nostrils.
- This process must preferably be done at bedtime for better results.
- You can repeat this process daily once at bedtime for atleast a week for treating congested chest and dry nostrils naturally.
11. Clarified Butter Remedy
Many a times the dry nasal passage symptoms are accompanied by nose bleeding because of the cracked skin in the nostrils.
To prevent nose bleeding and treat dryness in nostrils clarified butter or ghee is proven to be the most helpful ayurvedic remedy.
Clarified butter contains potent skin healing and moisturizing properties which is advantageous in the dry nostrils condition.
- Clarified Butter Or Ghee- ¼ tsp
- Cotton Ball- 1 Nos
- Take a small bowl and add in ¼ tsp of clarified butter.
- Then heat the bowl for a few seconds until the clarified butter has melted to a liquid consistency.
- If the clarified butter is too hot allow it to cool down to lukewarm temperature.
- The dip a clean cotton ball into the melted clarified butter.
- Now apply this clarified butter saturated cotton ball inside the nostrils.
- Make sure the inside of the nostril is well coated with clarified butter.
- This process can be repeated twice a day for 2 to 3 days or until the dry nasal passages are cured and bleeding is stopped.
12. Eucalyptus Oil Remedy
Intense pain, headache and dry nose are some of the ailments associated with cold and flu. To treat these symptoms one of the most effective home remedies for dry nostrils is eucalyptus oil.
Eucalyptus oil contains antibacterial, expectorant and anti-fungal properties (5) which help to keep the mucous membrane in the nostrils moist to treat the dryness in the nostrils effectively.
- Eucalyptus Oil Extract Capsule 200mg- 3 Nos
- Water- 1 Glass
- Take 1 Nos of eucalyptus oil extract capsule.
- Then swallow the eucalyptus oil extract capsule with 1 glass of water.
- This process must be repeated 3 times a day with water for 3 days or until the symptoms of cold and dry nostrils have healed completely.
13. Sauna Bath Remedy
There is no other better way than enjoying some pampering session along with treating dry nasal passages both at once.
Sounds crazy right?
But this is actually possible!
This is possible through sauna bath. This treatment sauna bath is beneficial in healing the dryness in nostrils, improving blood circulation and healing the soreness caused by cold and flu.
If taking sauna bath is a tad bit expensive then fill the bath tub with warm water and add in a few drops of mint oil into the bath tub.
Then soak in the aromatic water for 5 to 10 minutes. The warm steam will greatly benefit in the dry nostrils condition and heal the irritation in the throat as well.
More: Home Remedies for Cold
Important tips for Preventing Dry Nostrils:
- Stay hydrated as dehydration depletes the body’s fluids and worsens the dryness in the nostrils. So always make sure to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water and fluids a day as a natural dry nose remedy.
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeinated drinks, alcohol and salty foods as they can dehydrate the body further and result in a dry nose.
- Limiting the intake of hot and spicy food until the dryness in nostrils is cured will help the remedies to treat the symptoms faster and speeds up the healing process.
- Environmental pollution, dust and air borne bacteria can further aggravate the dry nose symptoms. To protect the nostrils it is important to clean your nose twice a day thoroughly.
- One of the most common unhealthy habit which needs to be completely avoided is nose picking. This habit is not just terrible but also can cause a lot of harm to the delicate skin in the nostrils such as broken blood vessels, nose bleeding and intense dryness in nostrils.
- Staying in humid weather can improve the symptoms of dry nostrils. One can even try using a humidifier which will add humidity to the environment and help in healing the dryness in nostrils.
- Avoid medications as it can sometimes aggravate the dryness in nose.
- Try and cover the nose with a scarf when outdoors to avoid environmental triggers as they can worsen the dry nasal passages
- Using baby wet wipes to clean the lining of the nostrils will help in further drying and curing the irritation as well.
So these were top most recommended, trending, tried and tested home remedies for dry nostrils. So, the next time if you suffer from any dry nose symptoms don’t fret and try these simple and inexpensive home remedies for availing instant relief without any side effects.
All the above mentioned remedies contain the best natural ingredients for treating dry nose and throat and are completely safe.
If in case the condition prolongs for a longer period of time then it is best recommended to consult a specialist. Although treating dry nose does not require any immediate medical attention and can be easily treated at home.
If you liked our remedies for dry nose don’t forget to drop in a line or comment to let us know which remedy worked the best for you. We would love to hear from you to serve you with better natural suggestions.