Oily skin has always been a problem for people. Oily skin glows for no reason and end up being sticky at the end of the day.
On top of that, the problems that anybody with an oily skin faces are exhausting and never ending. However, if you follow right skin regimen, it can help you deal with your issues easily.
You right skincare starts with a suitable cleanser which is the best face wash for oily skin. But, how suitable are the cosmetics available in the market?
Do they really contain the list of ingredients that make a good cleanser for your skin? In order to decide on a particular face wash for oily skin, you must understand your skin first.
Table of Contents
- Why Does Your Skin Require Cleansing?
- Why is Your Skin Oily?
- Lets Have a Look at The Best Homemade Face Washes for Oily Skin.
Why Does Your Skin Require Cleansing?
Our skin is exposed to the harmful ray of the sun. It is also affected by pollution, dirt and grime on a daily basis.
Thanks to these, the harmful chemical that your skin comes to contact with damages it significantly. The skin becomes dull and extremely greasy.
This is why cleansing is important. It keeps your skin healthy and rejuvenated.
If you use the right cleanser for your skin, you can easily remove the skin-irritating elements without harming the skin or compromising on its natural oils.
Oily skin produces excess amount of oil which should be removed or absorbed. A cleanser does just that and offers you healthy and glowing skin.
Before you decide which cleanser you want to go for, you must understand the nature and reason for the oiliness of your skin.
Why is Your Skin Oily?
There are several factors that trigger oil production in your skin. Let us have a look at those:
DTH, an androgen hormone is one of the core reasons for oil production in your skin.
DTH or Di Hydro Testosterone is a chemical messenger which informs your sebaceous glands to produce the natural oil of skin (sebum). This oil is waxy in nature.
But for DTH, our skin would have been dry as a desert. However, sometimes your body releases too much of DTH and your oil glands tend to overproduce sebum.
Generally, this stage sets in during puberty and for women, increases during menstruation.
When a woman reaches her ovulation stage, there is a rise in progesterone hormone in her body.
This leads to excess amount of DTH production and in turn, excess oiliness. This is why, just before your periods, you produce more acne.
Heredity plays an important role in this. If your genes carry the trait of oily skin, you are predisposed to have it.
We need to drink a lot of fluids; otherwise the skin becomes extremely dry. In case of dehydration, oil glands overwork to compensate the dryness and your skin becomes sticky.
If you are going through a lot of stress, your body produces a lot of stress hormone and DTH. These increase oiliness. Even insomnia can trigger such condition.
The heat and humidity of summer results in excessive sweating and sebum release. On the other hand, during winter time, wind and cold makes our skin dry. Due to this dryness, your sebum glands produce more sebum.
If you are on a particular course of medication (especially birth control medication or hormone replacement therapy), then you might run a risk of producing more sebum in your skin. Alternatively, those medicines which tend to dehydrate your body can also cause extra sebum production.
If you scrub your skin with washcloths, hand mitts and cleaning brushes, roughness in your skin can be aggravated.
That’s when your oil glands feel an overdrive to control the damage. In order to fight off this oiliness, you need to use a good face wash for oily skin.
The commercially available products are not as good for your skin, as the homemade skin solutions are. This way you can exercise your control over the ingredients used and ensure there is almost zero side effect on your skin.
Lets Have a Look at The Best Homemade Face Washes for Oily Skin.
Drinking milk takes care of your calcium supply to the bones. Everybody knows that. But how many of knew its effectiveness as skin cleanser?
It is believed that the legendary beauty queen Cleopatra used milk as cleanser.
This classic skin cleansing element is rich in lactic acid which helps removing dead skin cells. Milk is very beneficial home remedy for skin whitening treatment as well.
The protein and fat present in milk helps moisturizing the skin. Avoid using skimmed milk, though. Opt for whole milk.
What you need:
- Raw milk (cold): 3 tablespoon
- Orange peel (powdered): 1 teaspoon
- Cotton ball
How it works:
- Take some powdered orange peel and mix it with some milk. Stir well.
- Take some cotton balls and apply the mixture all over your face.
- Massage your skin gently with this mixture in first clockwise motion and then anti-clockwise motion. Repeat the process for about five minutes.
- After your massage is done, leave the pack on for five more minutes.
- Now, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- It is perfectly safe to use this cleanser once every day.
2. Lemon and Honey
This is another excellent mixture for oily skin. Honey is rich in antioxidants. At the same time, honey has natural moisturizing properties.
The antibacterial properties of honey help your skin to fight off acne and leave a soothing effect.
On the other hand, lemon is also a great natural cleanser for your skin. Especially if you have an oily skin, lemon works magically as a cleanser.
It helps your skin reduce the oiliness and remove tan naturally. Lemon and Honey can effectively treat even the blackheads.
To prepare a good quality oily skin face wash, all you have to do is mix lemon and honey together and prepare a natural face wash solution at home.
What you need:
- Honey- 2 tablespoon
- Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon
How it works:
- Add lemon juice and honey and mix well. If the mixture becomes too thick, you can add a negligible portion of water to diffuse the thickness.
- Now apply this mixture on your face like a pack and massage gently for one to two minutes.
- After your massage is done, leave the pack on for around 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with normal water.
- Repeat this process every night before you go to bed.
3. Rosewater and Essential Oils
Rosewater cleanser is extremely beneficial for oily skin. It helps in reducing oil, killing bacteria and soothing skin irritation or inflammation.
It helps in regenerating skin. As an astringent, it balances the pH of the skin, tightens the pores and moisturizes your skin.
In order to make an effective oil control face wash, you need to mix ingredients like essential oils and castile soap too.
Essential oils are antiseptic and eliminate bacteria encouraging cell growth. Castile soap helps in removing greasiness of oily skin.
What you need:
- liquid castile soap- 1 cup
- sweet almond oil- 1 tablespoon
- rosewater- 1 teaspoon
- rosemary oil- 3 drops
- lavender oil- 3 drops
- tea tree oil- 3 drops
- pump bottle
How it works
- Take a pump bottle and insert a funnel inside it.
- Now, pour the castile soap, almond oil and rosewater according to the measurement mentioned.
- Now is the time to add the essential oils (rosemary, lavender, and tea tree oils).
- After every ingredient is poured in, put the cap on the bottle and shake it well.
- Now your cleanser is ready.
- Massage the cleanser in your face gently and then leave it on for a minute or so.
- Now, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Pat your face dry with a towel.
- Store the cleanser in a refrigerator between uses. Before you apply it, shake it well every time.
4. Turmeric, Baking Soda and Organic Honey
Making a face wash out of these ingredients is going to be extremely effective. These natural ingredients cleanse your face deeply and purify the skin removing dead skin cell build-up. It removes excess oil from the pores.
The baking soda has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties (1). These help in cleansing and neutralizing oily or acne-prone skin.
Organic honey has a soothing and softening effect on the skin. Its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help fighting off pimple and infection.
Turmeric, in addition to these, has powerful antioxidants which can treat plenty of skin problems.
What you need:
- Honey- 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric- 1 pinch
- Baking soda- ½ tea spoon
How it works:
- Wet your face with lukewarm water.
- Mix the honey, turmeric and baking soda together.
- Rub your hands around the mixture and apply it on your skin.
- Massage gently in a circular motion (emphasizing on the oily or greasy area of your skin) for around 2 minutes.
- Rinse your face off with cool water. Pat the face dry with a soft towel.
5. Fuller’s earth and Gram flour
Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and gram flour (besan) are ingredients that absorb excess oil from your skin. So, these put together make best face washes for oily skin.
Apply a mixture of these two ingredients on your skin to exfoliate it. This process removes debris and dead cells and gives you a fresh and clean skin.
You can add some turmeric powder and powdered lemon peel to the mixture. Both these ingredients have antiseptic properties which help in fighting skin problems.
These also have skin-lightening and anti-ageing properties which are added advantage.
Adding Neem powder and tea tree oil makes it the best acne wash for oily skin as these have pimple control properties.
What you need:
- Fuller’s earth- 5 tablespoon
- Gram flour- 10 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- ½ tablespoon
- Neem powder- 1 tablespoon
- Lemon peel powder- ½ teaspoon
- Tea-tree essential oil- 5-10 drops
How it works:
- Mix these ingredients in the quantity mentioned and stir well. Store the mixture in a completely dry, airtight container.
Note: Avoid adding lemon peel powder if you have sensitive skin. Tea-tree oil is also optional.
- Wash your face thoroughly with normal water.
- Take a pinch of this mixture and add few drop of water to it and make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your face. Massage gently in circular motion. Concentrate on the T-zone as this area produces more oil. Spend more time there.
- After massaging for 2-3 minutes, leave the paste on your skin for a good 2-3 minutes. You can apply this paste and then start your shower and end it with removing the pack.
- Rinse off the paste with normal water. Pat your face dry with soft tissues.
Storing this face wash:
This cleanser works the best when it is dry. So, you must keep the mixture dry. You cannot allow moisture invasion because that will cause moulds and bacteria to grow inside it.
Then, you have to throw away the mixture and make a new one again.To avoid this situation, you can use an airtight container to store the mixture.
After each use, you must ensure that you close the lid tightly. Try to put it away from the tap as much as possible.
If you put in an effort to do that, it is going to pay off later on.
If you want a beautiful and glowing skin in the long run, these are your best bet at making oil-free cleanser.
All these cleansers are homemade with absolutely natural elements. These work the best for your skin.
These do not have overnight promises (which are almost always false), but these can ensure taking care of your skin health.
So, live oil-free and pimple-free with natural ingredients and forget skin problems.
Caution: If any of these in turn causes irritation to your skin, stop using that product immediately. You may have allergies from that element. Consult your dermatologist and follow the instructions.