When the feeling of spinning and dizziness occurs with or without movement it is known as Vertigo. This is a disorder in brain, where it feels that the body is imbalanced even though it is perfectly straight. In this condition, a person must sit down or lie immediately to lower the chances of getting injured.
Pseudo vertigo is normally a symptom of an underlying medical problem. It usually only occurs once but in some people it also reoccurs till the real issue gets diagnosed properly.
Table of Contents
- Vertigo Home Remedies
- 1. Epley Maneuver
- 2. Gingko Biloba
- 3. Ginger Tea
- 4. Coriander Seeds, Gooseberry Powder And Raw Honey
- 5. Almonds And Milk
- 6. Lemon Balm
- 7. Fruits And Vegetables Containing Vitamin C
- 8. Change The Existing Diet
- 9. Vitamin D
- 10. Coenzyme Q10
- 11. Garlic And Sesame Oil
- 12. Sleep Properly
- 13. Change Pillow
- 14. Consume Less Salt
- 15. Deal With Stress
- 16. Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
- 17. Apply or Inhale Essential Oils
Facts About Vertigo
- The symptoms of this disease can last from minutes to even hours.
- The symptoms may also come and go
- Treatment usually depends on the actual cause
- The medication and vertigo home remedies helps in relieving the symptoms of this disease.
Symptoms of Vertigo
- Motion sickness
- Double vision
- Change in hearing pattern
- Feeling unbalanced all the time
- Abnormal eye movements
- Ear ringing
- Lack of coordination
- Weakness in arms or legs
Vertigo Causes And Home Remedies
The most frequently occurring vertigo in humans is the BPPV or Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo. This usually occurs due to a build-up of deposits in the inner ear. As a matter of fact our inner ear is solely responsible for the sense of balance of our body.
If you suffer from BPPV then certain kinds of movements may end up causing dizziness and spinning. It is a common problem and there is a 2.4% chance of prevalence in many people’s lifetime. There are 50% chances that BPPV recurs in the sufferer again.
Other vertigo causes and home remedies are:
- Cold virus: Vertigo due to common cold may occur. It usually gets resolved with the improvement in the disease but it also may recur. This usually happens because of the inflammation of ear.
- A head or neck injury: Pseudo vertigo is usually a follow up after a head or neck injury. This attack can be resolved in a few days but owing to the level of injury it can be ongoing as well.
- Stroke: According to many doctors and specialists people who experience a stroke may also experience vertigo. The symptoms like imbalance and dizziness will be extremely pronounced.
- Vestibular neuritis or VN: Vestibulocochlear nerve present in our inner ear is in charge of balance and head positioning signals that is sent to the brain. When this nerve gets inflamed the brain usually misinterprets these signals causing vertigo.
- Meniere’s disease: This is a disease that usually affects the hearing condition of one ear. It may also cause severe symptoms of vertigo causing great imbalance, dizziness and headaches.
Vertigo Home Remedies
1. Epley Maneuver
Get It Correctly Diagnosed
As stated earlier BPPV is one of the most general kinds of vertigo and it is also the easiest to treat at home. There are simple manoeuvres that you can perform at home. This type of vertigo usually takes place due to the presence of small calcium crystals in the inner ear.
It is recommended to visit a doctor first and get this correctly diagnosed. In this case you usually have vertigo when getting in or out of bed, tilting head. At home, you first need to see which side vertigo is coming. You can perform a self diagnosis “Dix Hallpike Manoeuvre” offers great help to identify the real cause and side.
This manoeuvre helps you to check whether it is coming from brain or inner ear. If it’s coming from the ear then it can easily tell you the affected side. This test is uncomfortable and may return the symptoms. This manoeuvre can be performed at the doctor’s or at home with help.
Therefore, if the vertigo comes from left side then the epley manoeuvre vertigo remedies has to be performed on that side.
- You first need to sit on the edge of the bed and turn the head 45 degrees left side. Now you will have to place a pillow around the shoulders rather than the head.
- Now quickly lie down with the face up and the head positioned at 45 degrees. The pillow must be where you placed, that is just under the shoulders.
- Now wait for 30 seconds and your vertigo will stop. Slowly turn your head to 90 degrees on your right. Do not raise it. Wait for 30 seconds more.
- Now turn your whole body and head on the right side and look at the floor. Wait for another 30 seconds.
- Now slowly rise and sit on the bed. Remain there for sometime or till you feel alright.
- If your attack comes from the right side then you can reverse the manoeuvre procedure. For best results and immediate relief perform it with help 3 times every night till you do not feel any symptom for 24 hours.
2. Gingko Biloba
What Does It Do?
This is a very popular herb and has been widely researched topic for most doctors and scientists around the world. Gingko Biloba is popular for improving the flow of blood to the head and brain (1). It is used for the successful prevention or reversing the short term memory loss, tinnitus, loss of taste and macular degeneration and pseudo vertigo.
You will have to buy gingko that contains 24% of gingkolisides and gingko heterosides. You can start by taking 250 milligrams till the severity and frequency of vertigo gets diminished. To maintain you can reduce and take a daily dose of 40 to 60 milligrams.
3. Ginger Tea
What Does It Do?
The health benefits of ginger are quite popular around the world and this root specializes in the treatment of nausea. It is a popular vertigo home remedies and most of the research about it has been published. It helps in successfully diminishing the induced vertigo better than other medicines.
- ½ inch Ginger Root
- 1 cup Water
- Boil the ginger root in a cup of water.
- Steep it for 5 minutes.
- Drink it as it is or if desired add a little honey.
- Drink twice daily to reduce the effects of vertigo.
4. Coriander Seeds, Gooseberry Powder And Raw Honey
The coriander seeds have phytonutrients and also contain iron, copper, calcium, manganese, and magnesium. Gooseberry is high in Vitamin C and helps in improving the mental functioning (2), food absorption and is a food for the brain. Follow the recipe below to get instant relief from Vertigo.
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Gooseberry Powder
- Honey to taste
- 1 glass Water
- In the glass of water add the gooseberry powder and coriander seeds.
- Cover it and keep it overnight.
- In the morning, strain the liquid and mix in honey.
- Drink this concoction for instant relief from vertigo.
5. Almonds And Milk
Almonds are an effective vertigo remedies as they are a great source of Vitamin E and B.
- 4 Almonds
- 1 glass warm Milk
- Soak the almonds at night in water.
- Next morning grind it to a paste.
- Mix this paste in 1 glass of warm milk and drink immediately.
6. Lemon Balm
This herb is the best vertigo remedies and also helps in relieving other diseases like migraine, depression and nerve tension. It is one of the fastest ways to cure the vertigo attack.
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon dry lemon balm
- Boil one cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of dry lemon balm leaves.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Strain and drink it 2 to 3 times a day for best results.
7. Fruits And Vegetables Containing Vitamin C
What Does It Do?
If you look at your future and want to prevent this disease then fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C might be just what you need. This can be a cure for vertigo causes and home remedies. There will definitely be an improvement in your condition if you eat vitamin C rich food daily for a long period of time.
What Fruits To Include?
You can eat strawberries, broccoli, lemon, gooseberry, green leafy vegetables, cantaloupe, and sweet lime.
8. Change The Existing Diet
Vertigo is sometimes also the result of poor lifestyle conditions and diet. You may unknowingly be consuming certain food that triggers this attack. For starters, you will have to follow a strict low sodium diet and avoid food products like chocolate, red wine, and cheese etc. to avoid the dizziness bracelet.
9. Vitamin D
If a person suffers from positional vertigo than studies have revealed the fact that proper intake of vitamin D may show improvement. People suffering from positional vertigo are generally deficient in vitamin D.
10. Coenzyme Q10
This is a medicine that is important for heart health and also maintains the level of cholesterol in the body (3). It helps in proper blood circulation and looks after the heart muscle. People with congestive heart failure will show great improvement in vertigo symptoms after taking this medication.
11. Garlic And Sesame Oil
If these two kitchen ingredients are combined together they help relieve the vertigo and dizziness bracelet.
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan and add the crushed garlic.
- Cook till the garlic turns brown in colour.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool
- Strain it. Put two to three drops of oil in the ear.
- Let it sit for a minute and then drain. Repeat with other ear.
12. Sleep Properly
Improper sleeping pattern can also cause vertigo and dizziness bracelet. Therefore, if you want to get cured quickly all you need to do is to get a proper 8 to 9 hours of sleep on a regular basis. It is best to avoid the afternoon naps as they tend to disturb the sleeping patterns.
13. Change Pillow
A flat pillow and vertigo! Do they have anything at all that relates them together? Well, many experts believe that an uncomfortable pillow may just be the cause of the nerve pinching. Sleeping in best direction is very important and it is always recommended that you get new pillows every 6 months. New pillows provide proper posture to your head when you sleep.
14. Consume Less Salt
If you already suffer from vertigo then it is highly recommended that you consume less salt. This is because extra sodium reacts and triggers the problem back. As suggested by the doctor’s a normal human must eat only 1500 to 2000 milligrams sodium in one day.
15. Deal With Stress
If you wish to lower the severity of vertigo then you may want to directly throw stress out of your life. This way the stressed nerves will relax and do not cause further tension in your body. Yoga, meditation, long brisk walking are some activities that help you connect with life and perfect cures for vertigo natural remedy.
16. Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
Pure and raw honey if mixed with unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is the best cures for vertigo natural remedy. Both these natural products help in easing the blood flow in the human body and especially brain.
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- Mix these ingredients together and drink immediately.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a day for best results.
17. Apply or Inhale Essential Oils
There are a lot of essential oils in the market these days. We usually add these to the diffuser to create a perfect environment in our home and ease stress. Well, these oils do have healing properties as well and they are cures for vertigo natural remedy.
They help in alleviating the symptoms of vertigo. Lavender, peppermint, ginger, lemon and eucalyptus are some oils that you can use. If you want to apply it topically then you will have to mix it with a carrier oil to do so. For inhalation, these oils have to put inside a diffuser.
In the end, Vertigo on its own is not a disease it is a condition which can lead to a disease. If it keeps recurring, it is always better to visit a doctor for further reference and try these remedies to soothe the nerves.