White spots on tonsils are common causes of concern for a lot of people. It is an alarming situation, for sure. But it is not all that difficult to fight off.
If you can spot your problem at an early stage, you can avoid a surgery and treat your condition with home remedies.
Table of Contents
What are White Spots on Tonsils? What Causes Them?
White spots on your tonsils could develop for different reasons.
- Calcium deposits
- Dead cells
These are some commonly known substances that develop the white spots on your tonsil. Which one it is will be better explained once you identify the reason behind the white spots.
The causes behind white spots on tonsils have range upto a varied level. Most of the time it happens because of some from of throat infection. However, there are other strong reasons too.
- Infectious Mononucleosis: This infection is caused by the virus Epstein-Barr. This infection is contagious and spreads through saliva.
That is why it is often referred to as the ‘kissing disease’. The people who suffer from infectious mononucleosis experience patches of white pus surrounding their tonsils.
- Strep Throat: The medical term of this disease is streptococcal pharyngitis. It is enormously contagious as a disease.
Strep throat is caused by a bacteria called Streptococcus pyogenes. This disease is extremely common in infants and children.
However, strep throat is frequently seen in adults and teenagers as well. This causes white streaks on the tonsil.
The symptoms of strep throat include extreme fatigue and weakness, difficulty in swallowing due to swelling and inflammation of the throat, headache and fever.
The patients should cover the mouth while sneezing or coughing as the bacteria spreads from the droplets of sneeze or cough only.
- Tonsillitis: In general this term refers to an infection in the tonsils. Generally caused by S. pyogenes, this infection can be caused by many other virus and bacteria.
Tonsils swell in the process of fighting the infection and produce white pus on the tonsils.
- Oral Thrush: It is a kind of yeast infection that develops inside human mouth. The most factor behind this development is Candida albicans, the fungus.
Those who do not have a strong immune system, suffer mostly from this infection and develop white patches on tonsils.
These white patches have a chance of appearing on the patient’s tongue, roof of the mouth or inside the cheeks as well.
Those who regularly consume antibiotic doses or suffer from fluctuating diabetes are at greater risk.
- Tonsil stones: These are also known as tonsiliths and forms small cracks in the affected person’s tonsils.
This situation develops when there is a buildup of mucus, bacteria and food particles.
- Diphtheria: It is a respiratory infection and it affects the throat and nostrils. This bacteria caused disease causes inflammation in the lymph nodes.
The patient hence feels feverish and fights off difficulty in breathing and swelling.
- Vincent’s angina: This refers to the formation of ulcer on the pharynx, tonsils and oral cavity. This type of ulcer begins on gums and spreads henceforth.
These ulcers bleed eventually with slight touch. Along with that, the tonsils will develop white spots on them. This disease is most commonly treated with antibiotics.
- Viral pharyngitis: This is an infectious condition of the pharynx due to which the pharynx and the tonsils swell. Due to this condition, white pus is formed on affected person’s tonsils.
This condition can be caused by both bacteria and virus. A bacterial infection needs a treatment with the antibiotics. A viral condition clears up on its own.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Some STDs can develop white spot on tonsil. Chlamydia, herpes simplex virus, gonorrhea and HIV are a few diseases that contribute to white spots on the affected person’s tonsils.
- Smoking: Smokers be aware- smoking increases the chances of leukoplakia and in turn, oral cancer.
Leukoplakia is a precancerous situation. Symptoms of leukoplakia include white patches on the tongue, mouth and tonsils.
If something like this occurs, you need to quit smoking immediately. Most of the time, this resolves the condition.
However, if the white patches become cancerous, your doctor might have to scrape them off completely.
What are the Home Remedies for White Patch on Tonsil?
There are some easily available home remedies that one can use against this disease. Apart from trying to drive away the causes of the diseases from your body, you can use these remedies for relief.
1. Salt Water
Salt is an antibacterial compound. It sterilises bruises and wounds. You can use salt water to clear mucus and dirt from your throat.
Salt has anti inflammatory properties which help reduce swollen tonsils. Warm salt water is an excellent choice for maintaining oral hygiene.
How does it work:
- Add 2 tablespoon common salt to a glass of water.
- Stir the mixture properly right upto the point where the salt gets completely dissolved.
- Pour it in your mouth and gargle for 2 minutes. Make sure your affected area is touched by the warm salt water.
- After gargling spit it out and repeat for a full glass.
- If you do this daily, white spots will be removed naturally.
Basil is a very trusted ingredient in Ayurvedic practices. It is helpful in eliminating the root cause of white spots on tonsils. It is one of the highly used herbs to cure this disease.
The anti inflammatory properties of basil reduce the swelling of tonsils (1). It is also used as pain reliever.
Basil leaves should be consumed directly in order to strengthen the overall immune system of the body. This way you can keep the possibilities of infectious diseases like lichen planus at bay.
How does it work:
- Take a handful of basil leaves, lemon and water.
- Boil the water and keep it warm.
- Crush the basil leaves and create a thick paste.
- Mix a tablespoon of basil paste in a glass of warm water.
- Stir them well.
- Then take big sips of this solution and gargle for 2 minutes.
- Spit it out and repeat till you finish your glass.
- This solution will help you clear your throat.
- Warm some milk.
- Mix the posted basil (1 tbsp) into a glass of warm milk
- Drink it before you go to bed.
3. Coconut oil Thrush
Coconut essential oil is lauric acid content. It is extremely useful to fight off this disease due to its anti inflammatory and anti fungal properties.
Coconut oil helps your tonsils to heal naturally and the white spots vanish without any surgical treatment.
Also, the natural nourishment component of coconut oil is used to cure other skin ailments (e.g., sites and acne) as well. The same way, it heals the spleen tonsils and removes the white spots.
How does it work:
- For this process, you must collect organic coconut essential oil.
- Freeze it. Pour 3 tablespoon of the frozen oil in a cup.
- Now heart the oil. Once it gets warm, take one tbsp and thrush it around your swollen tonsil.
- Gargle for a few minutes.
- Now spot it out. Repeat the process for at least twice a day.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon is rich with its antiviral, anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties. This makes lemon extremely effective in treating infections.
Those viruses that cause swollen tonsils can be easily treated with lemon.
Because, lemon has Vitamin C improves digestion and in turn, your immunity system. This way, your body becomes more resistant to infections and bacterial growth.
Lemon is a powerful exfoliant and it can cure dry and oily skin naturally. So, any skin hazards such as scale rashes and eczema can be treated with lemon.
This property makes it a more trusted choice for treating white spots on tonsil.
How does it work:
- Take a glass of water and warm it.
- Mix 3 tablespoon lemon juice to the water and air it well.
- Gargle with this solution a few times. This will soothe the throat pain.
- Repeat the procedure twice a day off you want effective result.
- Mix 1 tbsp lemon juice with 1 tbsp honey.
- Add the mixture to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Mix well using repetitive stirring.
- Drink the mixture twice a day. This practice will help in fast healing.
Mint is a popular herb used in Ayurveda and other medicinal practices because of its soothing aroma.
It has antiviral and antimicrobial properties which help the human body to fight off infections.
Hence, mint can be an effective option to heal a throat condition as grave as white spots on the tonsils.
It is rich in menthol and hence leaves a soothing effect on your itchy and irritated throat. It also doesn’t let the harmful microorganisms spread through
How does it work:
- Take a cup of water and pour it into a saucepan.
- Add handful of mint leaves.
- Simmer the solution for nearly 10 minutes.
- Strain the mint water in a new cup.
- Now mix 1 tbsp lemon juice to it and stir well.
- Consume this herbal mixture daily to recover from your tonsil condition.
- Boil mint leaves in hot water. Simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Crush the boiled leaves into a fine and thick paste.
- Put the paste on a cotton ball and apply on the affected area.
- Remove the cotton after 30 minutes. Gargle with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process twice a day for faster relief.
Turmeric is a very important Ayurvedic component which has powerful antibacterial properties.
This will help you get rid of white spots on your tonsils. The anti inflammatory properties of turmeric provide an affected person quick relief from swollen tonsil conditions.
Turmeric with milk can helps you get rid of Laryngitis is rich in curcumin. This brings yellow colour to turmeric and makes it rich in health benefits.
How does it work:
- Take some roasted turmeric powder.
- Take a cup of water and warm it. Mix 1 tbsp of turmeric powder with it.
- Stir well until the turmeric dissolves into the water completely.
- Gargle with the solution to remove white spots from your tonsils.
- Repeating the process for twice a day can fetch good results.
Fenugreek, the ancient herb, is also known as methi.
This herb is rich in antiviral and antibacterial properties. Fenugreek can fight off viral diseases easily (2).
Fenugreek can get you relief from swollen tonsils for its anti inflammatory properties. The antiseptic and analgesic abilities make them ideal to fight off tonsil problems. Fenugreek seeds can also help you to Get Rid of an Tickle and Itchy Throat.
How does it work:
- Add fenugreek seeds to a cup of water and boil it. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture in a new cup.
- Gargle in this water multiple times. It will help removing the white patches and dots on the tonsils.
White spots on tonsils get healed with home remedies if you start the remedies early. If the remedies are not bringing desired results within seven days, see a doctor immediately.
8. Oregano oil
Oregano oil is another very effective solution for white spots. Especially those who have an oral thrush problem is going to be benefited by oregano oil.
It has anti-fungal properties which work perfectly against a fungal allergy like oral thrush. Oregano oil also works perfectly against bacterial and viral infections.
How it works:
- Read the back of the oregano oil bottle and find the right dose.
- Take the same amount of oregano oil with the help of a dropper. Swallow it.
- Drink a lot of water along with.
- Repeat it twice every day.
Tulsi is an exceptionally reliable remedy against white spots on tonsil. It has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
The soothing and healing qualities of tulsi helps with the pain and swelling commonly connected to white spots on your tonsils (3).
It is reportedly speeds up the process of healing. It works best in a combination with black pepper.
Tulsi leaves and 2 grams of black pepper mixed in a drink helps developing your immunity and works as a strong antibacterial element.
In order to bring relief, these following steps are important:
- Take 10-12 tulsi leaves. Along with that, take a cup and a half of water.
- Boil these two together for about 10 minutes.
- Now, strain the solution. Squeeze a lemon and add the juice to this mixture.
- Add a teaspoon full honey OR 2 grams of black pepper to this mixture.
- For two to three days, drink this solution for three times a day.
These are the most effective homemade solutions to how to get rid of white spots on tonsils. If these do not have an effect on you for 7 consecutive days, you should see a doctor.