We face many problems in our daily lives, and sometimes it is related to our genital parts. Vulva and vagina are the most sensitive part of our bodies, and constant itching and irritation in this area can make us insane.
According to researches, women who have not reached puberty or post-menopausal women are at a higher risk of developing vulvar itching or vulvitis.
Lower estrogen levels are to be blamed for this condition which makes vulvar tissues dryer and thinner.
Poor hygiene, sexually transmitted diseases, shaving, bacterial infection, yeast infection or candidia, diabetes, pregnancy and stress are some of the main causes of developing vaginal itching.
Identifying the cause will help you to take necessary precautions in future to avoid such problems.
Vaginal itching is a very uncomfortable feeling, and symptoms like persistent itching in vagina, odor from vagina, white discharge or yellowish green discharge, burning, inflammation of vulva indicates vaginal infection.
Fear not for your vaginal itching, as in this article we will provide you ample of home remedies for vaginal itching which will help it to cure faster.
You must be thinking, ‘How to get rid of vaginal itching naturally at home’, here we go.
Table of Contents
- Some of the Best Home Remedies for Vaginal Itching:
- 1. Cold Compress
- 2. Coconut Oil
- 3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4. Yogurt
- 5. Basil Leaves
- 6. Dandelion Tea
- 7. Garlic
- 8. Kefir
- 9. Honey
- 10. Cranberry Juice
- 11. Oregano oil
- 12. Aloe Vera Gel
- 13. Licorice Tea
- Foods which Fight Vaginal Itching
- Further Tips to Cure and Prevent Vaginal Infection
Some of the Best Home Remedies for Vaginal Itching:
1. Cold Compress
It is one of the simplest methods as you don’t have to purchase or look for anything in your kitchen.
You just need cold water or some ice cubes, and it will give you relief immediately.
- Take a bowl of cold water, or wrap some ice cubes in a soft clean cloth.
- Put some cold water on your vagina directly, or with the help of cotton.
- Or if using ice cubes, then place the cloth on your vagina for at least 30-50seconds.
- Take break and again repeat it.
- Do this whenever required, or until your itching stops.
Effect: It numbs the area and eases the pain and itching.
2. Coconut Oil
At times dryness irritates the skin and makes it itchy, but with the help of coconut oil you can treat it.
Coconut oil is very helpful to treat yeast infection as it is naturally contains ‘caprylic acid’ which blocks the growth of candida, and provides relief from vulvar itching.
- Apply coconut oil directly to your affected vagina.
- If possible, apply virgin coconut oil, as it is more pure and enriched with healing properties.
- Do this couple of times in a day.
Effect: Within no time you will find relief from itching due to dry skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
It is one type of vinegar which can be consumed when suffering from candida or vaginal yeast infection. It has enzymes which help in breaking down the growth of candida.
- In a glass of warm water, mix 2 tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Wash your vagina 2-3 times a day with this solution.
- Continue this for few days or till your problem persists.
Effect: This not only controls itching, but also restores the normal pH balance of your vulva or vagina.
Yogurt contains active culture which inhibits the growth of bacteria. It works by killing bad bacteria or yeast in the vagina. It also promotes the growth of good bacteria. Yogurt effectively treat yeast infection naturally.
- Take some plain unsweetened yogurt.
- Use tampon to insert yogurt in your vagina for at least 2 hrs.
- Repeat this 2 times a day until you find relief.
- Eat plain yogurt daily which will help you to get rid of vaginal itching.
Effect: It eliminates yeast infection, and helps you to find relief from burning, and itching in your vagina.
5. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, vitamin K, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals (1).
- Take some washed basil leaves, and boil it in hot water.
- Switch the hob once water starts to turn light green or yellow.
- Allow water to cool down completely.
- Strain the leaves, and use this water to rinse your vagina 2-3 times a day.
- Continue this for 2-3days or till you get cure of your vaginal infection.
Effect: You will find relief from your itching vagina. It will also help in reducing inflammation and burning.
6. Dandelion Tea
Dandelion plant is used as a herbal remedy for treating so many problems. It contains lot of vitamins and minerals which helps in fighting infection from the body.
- Take some dandelion tea extracts, and boil in some water.
- Strain and drink this tea 2 times a day.
- Drink this tea for few days.
Effect: It helps in stimulating lubrication of the genital area, thus reduces itching and burning of the vagina or vulva. You can find instant relief from pain and inflammation.
Caution: Don’t apply any part of this plant directly to your skin, as it may cause itching and inflammation. It is only use to be consumed orally.
Garlic is a spice with lot of anti-bacterial and anti-biotic properties which helps to eliminate yeast and bacteria.
It also boosts the immune system, thus helps in fighting infection. Garlic is effective in treating bacterial vaginosis naturally.
- Take few drops of garlic oil, and dilute with 1 tsp of vitamin E oil.
- Apply this oil on your vagina.
- After 10 minutes rinse it with warm water.
- Do this remedy 2 times a day for a week.
- You can also eat 3-4 raw pods of garlic daily.
It’s a fermented dairy products enriched with probiotics. It contains lot of probiotic bacteria, mainly lactobacillus and bifidus, which kills yeast and bad bacteria causing vaginal infection (2).
- For itching in vulva, you can directly apply kefir to the affected area.
- If you are having vaginal itching, dip a tampon in kefir, and insert it in vagina.
- Leave the tampon for 2 hrs, and clean the genital area with warm water.
- Repeat at least 2 times daily for a couple of days.
- Drink 1-2 cups of kefir for few weeks.
Effect: It is highly effective in curing genital infection, and its symptoms like burning and itching.
Unpasteurized honey is very vital in providing soothing effect from itching and inflammation. Its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties help to eradicate microbes from the body causing infection.
- Take some unpasteurized honey, and apply it on your vagina.
- Let it remain for about 30 minutes, and then rinse it with warm water.
- Continue this 2 times a day for few days or till it gets healed.
- Eat 2 tbsp honey daily with a glass of warm water.
10. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry is acidic in nature which controls the growth of yeast and bacteria (3). It not only helps to cure vaginal itching and irritation, but also prevents urine and bladder infections.
- Drink 2-3 glasses of unsweetened cranberry juice daily for few days.
- Either you can take cranberry tablet 2 times daily till your itching stops.
Caution: It is always better to consult a doctor for taking tablets.
11. Oregano oil
Oregano oil works wonder if you are suffering with candida growth or yeast infection. It contains anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties which help to get rid of vaginal itching, burning, and inflammation.
- Take a glass of warm water, and add 8-10 drops of oregano oil.
- Mix well and drink it 3 times daily for better results.
- You can mix oregano oil with 3-5 drops of tea tree oil, and 1 tsp of almond oil.
- Apply this mixed oil in your affected area.
- Continue this process 2 times daily for 3-5days.
Caution-Pregnant women should strictly avoid the consumption of oregano oil.Oregano oil should not be used directly, as it will burn your skin. You can also mix it with olive oil and coconut oil.
12. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera plant is used for treating many skin diseases and infections. This plant leaves contain gel inside which is very effective in treating burning and itching, as it has a cooling effect.
- Take a leaf, and cut it to take out the gel.
- Apply this gel directly in your vulva or genital area.
- Repeat 3 times daily, and continue it for few days.
- You can also drink 3-4 ounces of aloe vera gel, in preventing recurring vaginal itching and skin irritation.
Effect: It reduces inflammation of the skin and itching. It is one of the best cures for all your skin problems.
13. Licorice Tea
Licorice extracts contain special compounds which increases mucus production. It increases estrogen level in body and prevents dryness.
- Take ½ half an ounce of licorice root in 300-500 ml of water, and boil.
- Leave it for 15 minutes, and then strain the tea.
- Drink this tea 2 times a day for few days.
Caution: Licorice can increase your blood pressure, so avoid taking it if you have BP problems.
Using these home remedies will surely help you to get rid of vaginal itching naturally at home. Apart from this, consumptions of some foods will also help in treating and preventing your vaginal infection.
Foods which Fight Vaginal Itching
- Onion has a strong anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-parasite property. It helps to flush excess fluids out the body-it is useful as many candida sufferers experience water retention.
- Garlic also has very powerful anti-fungal properties to attack yeast growth by increasing good bacteria in your digestive system. It gives a detoxifying effect on the body by stimulating your liver and colon.
- Ginger has a detoxing effect on a body. It kindles the immune system, and provides a calming effect on inflammation if caused by bacterial growth of vagina.
- Olive Oil contains a chemical known as ‘Oleuropein’ which has powerful anti-fungal properties. It also controls blood sugar levels as increased blood sugar levels are often responsible for yeast growth.
- Cloves contain ‘eugenol’ which is an effective anti-fungal. Taking few pods of cloves provide a topical aid for fungal infections of vaginal, as well as of toe and finger nails.
- Cinnamon will damage yeast cells. It is very helpful in the treatment of candida as well as head lice and H.pylori. (Note: not to be used by pregnant women or those suffering from stomach ulcers.)
- Pumpkin Seeds are rich in omega3 fatty acids. It not just has anti-fungal properties, but also has anti-viral and anti-parasitic properties, which help to fight the symptoms of candida like pain, itching, and inflammation.
Further Tips to Cure and Prevent Vaginal Infection
These tips below will help you to heal your vagina, and by taking necessary measures will avoid genital problems stirring frequently.
- Snacking on some of the foods like papaya, coriander leaves, cheese, and oregano on a regular basis will prevent vulvar itching, caused due to fungal, yeast and bacterial infection.
- Taking Salt Water Bath also helps in relieving itching of vagina.
- Practice good hygiene daily.
- Always make sure to clean and dry your vagina after using washroom.
- Avoid wearing tight panties and synthetic material.
- Always go for cotton innerwear.
- Do not douche. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) advises women against douching. This is because it can kill good bacteria in the vagina that prevent infections.
- Clean the outside areas of your vagina with mild soap and water.
- Avoid using vaginal washes, scents, and sprays.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin c which will increase your immunity.
- Use anti-bacterial and anti-fungal talc for itching vagina.
- You can wash your vaginal area with essential oil like lavender, calendula, and tea tree oil as it has healing properties.
- Avoid using pads which causes irritation, and change pads frequently during bleeding.
- Always use condom during sexual intercourse.
- Avoid having sex during the time of vaginal itching and burning.
- Drink plenty of water as it flushes bacteria and yeast naturally from the body.
After trying these home remedies for vulvar itching for a week or so, if your problem still persists then it is best to consult a gynecologist.
Also, if you face any irritation or discomfort using these remedies, then stop it immediately and consult a doctor.