Did you bite your tongue while speaking hastily? The tongue is troubling you while eating or speaking. Then, you probably are having tongue ulcers.
Curiously, it has been discovered that women (more than men), young people, and those with a family history of mouth ulcers are at higher danger of creating tongue ulcers.
Tongue ulcers are injuries or sores that frequently show up within the cheeks, inside lips or on the surface of the mouth.
They are usually yellow, or white, or small red sores on tongue region. They are awkward, some of the time excruciating, however harmless.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies For Tongue Ulcers
- 1. Ice
- 2. Honey and Turmeric
- 3. Aloe Vera
- 4. Salt
- 5. Yogurt
- 6. Tea Tree Oil
- 7. Baking Soda
- 8. Sage
- 9. Milk of Magnesia
- 10. Hydrogen Peroxide
- 11. Coriander Seeds
- 12. Licorice Tea
- 13. Coconut Oil
- 14. Basil
- 15. Clove Oil
- 16. Vitamin B
- 17. Tea bags
- 18. Vitamin E
- Tips To Prevent Tongue Ulcers
Symptoms of Tongue Ulcers
The discomfort and soreness caused by tongue ulcers can make anybody feel annoyed. Also, it makes difficult to chew the food properly. Some of the other symptoms you might be experiencing are;
- Burning or tingling sensation in mouth
- Dryness in tongue
- Swelling or inflammation
- Painful sores or blisters on tongue, or inside lips and cheeks
- Tongue covered by tiny red sores, or few white blisters
If your tongue ulcer causes fever then, you should definitely consult a doctor.
Causes of Tongue Ulcers
Tongue ulcers can be caused due to various reasons like;
- Cankers sores (mouth ulcers)
- Excessive smoking
- Biting your tongue by mistake
- Stomach ulcers, acidity or GERD
- Yeast infection
- Hormonal imbalance
- Insufficiencies of vitamin B or C
- Certain medical conditions like diabetes, cancer, and stomatitis
Fortunately they are effectively treatable. They can vanish in a week’s time without any treatment.
You can attempt some home remedies for ulcers to reduce the pain and agony. A few cures likewise advance quicker healing.
Home Remedies For Tongue Ulcers
This is easiest, convenient and one of the most effective home remedies for tongue ulcers. Ice provides a soothing effect; it helps to numb the area, and offers instant relief from pain.
Tongue ulcers often cause swelling and inflammation which can be easily treated using ice.
- Take an ice cube, and rub directly on your affected tongue.
- Rub the area for some time till it becomes numb.
- Instead, you can have a small sip of icy water time to time to alleviate pain.
2. Honey and Turmeric
Honey and turmeric are a great combination, as both are loaded with antiseptic and antibacterial properties which cure tongue ulcers in no time.
It helps to maintain moisture, and keeps your tongue from getting dry. Plus, it speeds the process of new tissue growth. Whereas, turmeric help alleviate the pain and swelling caused by tongue ulcers.
Process: 1 Honey and Turmeric
- Blend 1 tbsp of organic honey with ½ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Spread this paste on your tongue blisters by rubbing it gently.
- Keep it for 3-5 minutes, and then gargle your mouth with tepid water.
- Repeat this 3-5 times a day for some days to promote healing.
Process: 2 Honey with Gooseberry Powder
- Mix 1 tbsp of pure honey with ½ tsp of gooseberry (amla) powder.
- Rub this paste on your affected tongue.
- Keep it for few minutes, and then rinse your mouth.
Process: 3 Turmeric and Milk
- You can mix ½ tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk.
- Drink this milk daily for few days till your blisters go away.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is also known as first aid plant due to its healing properties. It is used to treat various diseases, and can soothe pain and swelling due to its antibacterial properties.
It is recommended as one of the best natural remedy to treat tongue ulcers.
- Take out aloe vera gel from a fresh leaf.
- Apply this gel on your affected tongue.
- Keep it for 5 minutes, and clean your mouth with warm water.
- You can continue this multiple times a day till your blisters gets healed.
When it comes to reduce pain and inflammation, salt works great. University of Manchester has found evidence that a simple salt solution, which is mostly used in IV drips, is beneficial for reducing inflammation.
Salt contains high amount of sodium chloride, which takes water from nearby tissues by osmosis, and helps cure blisters. It can even destroy bacteria and avoid infection.
- Take 1 tsp of salt and dissolve in 1 cup of tepid water.
- Use this solution to swish your mouth for about 30 seconds then spit out.
- Continue till solution gets over.
- Or you can keep some salt on your ulcers for a minute, and then rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this method several times a day for 2-3 days.
Yogurt is a natural probiotic which contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial , and antioxidant properties that helps in treating tongue ulcers by reducing soreness and infection (1).
You just have to consume few cups of plain yogurt in a day, or at least try having one cup daily.
6. Tea Tree Oil
A compound called terpinen-4-ol is found in tea tree oil, which displays calming properties against oral candidiasis (2). It also contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties, which help in receiving healing quickly from tongue ulcers.
- Dilute 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water.
- Wash your mouth with this solution.
- Repeat it couple of times a day, if possible after every meal.
- This also helps in removing germs and infection.
7. Baking Soda
It is extremely powerful for treating tongue ulcers. It helps in restoring pH balance of your mouth.
Baking soda has mitigating properties that provide assistance from pain and irritation. It is especially great when managing blisters caused by canker sores.
- Mix1 tsp of baking soda to a cup of warm water.
- Use this solution to swish your tongue and mouth.
- Keep doing it for 2-3 minutes, and then spit it out.
- Repeat this whenever necessary to find comfort from painful blisters.
- Take 1 tsp of baking soda, and mix it in 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Apply this paste on your blisters, and keep it for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, rinse your mouth.
You can try any one of the remedy using baking soda for 3-5 times a day to treat ulcers.
Sage contains elements that can lessen inflammation and pain, and destroy bacteria and viruses. It is a perfect remedy for tongue blisters (3).
- Take 2 tsp of dried sage, and mix in a cup of boiling water.
- Cover it and steep for 2 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down, and rinse your mouth with this tea 2 – 3 times a day.
9. Milk of Magnesia
Milk of magnesia is laxative, and works as antacid to treat various stomach related problems, like GERD, indigestion, heartburn, acidity which is one of the causes of tongue ulcers.
Due to milk of magnesia’s antacid properties, this remedy is pretty much effective in treating blisters, as it neutralizes the acids in the mouth that cause your ulcers to sting.
- Dab some milk of magnesia on your affected tongue.
- You can even use cotton to put on your tongue.
- Alternatively, you can use some amount of milk of magnesia mix in water to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat any of the process 3-4 times a day.
10. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is useful to treat sores on tongues caused by mouth ulcers. It contains high antibacterial and disinfectant properties which fights off bacteria and lessen the possibility of infection.
Note: Always use 3 % of hydrogen peroxide, and only a small amount of hydrogen peroxide will do.
- Dilute hydrogen peroxide with equal amount of tepid water.
- Use this solution to apply it on your affected tongue using a cotton pad.
- Keep it for 2 minutes, and then wash your mouth.
- Make sure not to swallow the solution.
- Repeat this 2 times a day.
Or you can make a disinfecting mouth-rinse.
- Take ¼ cup each of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Mix it with 1 tsp of baking soda, and salt.
- Use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Continue this process 2-3 times for few days.
Hydrogen peroxide and salt help to cure the blisters, and baking soda neutralizes the acids, and provide further relief from inflamed sores.
11. Coriander Seeds
Coriander is also one of the effective remedy in treating tongue ulcers due to its powerful anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It assists in relieving the associated pain and inflammation.
- Take 1 tsp of coriander seeds, and boil with a cup of water.
- Or you can take few coriander leaves.
- Continue to boil for 10 minutes, and then strain the solution.
- Allow it to cool, and then use it to wash your mouth.
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times daily till you get rid from blisters.
12. Licorice Tea
Licorice tea is another best home remedy to heal and eradicate canker sores. It helps to soothe your stomach, and can even prevent tooth decay.
- Boil 1 cup of water and dip a tea bag.
- Cover it for 10 minutes with a lid.
- Drink this tea, or you can use this tea, as a mouthwash, when it cools down.
- You can repeat this process up to 3 times a day.
13. Coconut Oil
The excellent analgesic, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties of a coconut oil can swiftly cure the sores on your tongue.
- Take 1-2 tsp of coconut oil, and directly apply it on your tongue.
- You can even use a cotton swab to apply.
- Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes, and then wash your mouth with tepid water.
- Repeat this treatment 3 to 4 times daily for few days.
Basil is another powerful remedy which you can use to heal tongue ulcers. It has strong antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties that can speed up the recovery process, by diminishing the symptoms like inflammation and pain (4).
- Take 6-8 basil leaves, and wash it properly.
- You can directly chew the leaves, and swallow them.
- Drink a little water after that.
- Repeat this 2 times a day for few days.
15. Clove Oil
Clove oil has a compound called ‘eugenol’ which is a natural anesthetic, and works by numbing the pain (5). Due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties it can help in healing tongue ulcers.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of clove oil in 1 cup of warm water.
- Use this solution for mouth wash.
- Repeat this couple of times a day.
16. Vitamin B
Deficiency in vitamin B is one of the main causes for developing tongue ulcers. Eat plenty of vitamin B rich foods to treat them. Eating this vitamin on a regular basis can even prevent repetition of ulcers.
Consume foods rich in vitamin B, like eggs, salmon, liver, oats, bran, whole grains, turkey avocados, bananas, and various dairy products like milk, yogurt, buttermilk, cheese, and others.
Alternatively, you can take supplements of Vitamin B for a week, or 10 days to improve your problem.
17. Tea bags
Tea is another remedy which is alkaline, balances acids that infuriate the sore; plus, it contains pain relieving compounds.
- Boil 1 cup of water and dip a tea bag.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Allow it to cool, and then put a wet tea bag on your blisters.
- Or you can even put a used tea bag.
18. Vitamin E
Vitamin E oil helps to protect the sore from developing into an infection, and promotes a quicker healing.
- Take vitamin E oil and pierce the capsule.
- Use the oil to coat your blisters.
- Repeat this 3 times a day for 2-3 days.
Tips To Prevent Tongue Ulcers
Here are further tips if followed regularly will help to prevent the recurrence of tongue ulcers.
- Avoid consuming spicy foods till your ulcers get completely healed.
- It is better to avoid acidic vegetables, like capsicum and citrus fruits.
- Stay away from chewing gum till blisters cures.
- Avoid eating sweets foods or limit the intake of sugar.
- Have a proper oral hygiene by brushing, cleaning your tongue, and flossing daily.
- Use mouthwash after every meal to remove extra bacteria or irritants.
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- Stop smoking and chewing tobacco.
- Never try to scratch the ulcers, as it will make the blisters worse.
- Stop using toothpastes containing sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).
- Drinking cold water or icy fluids help in reducing pain and swelling.
- Avoid drinking hot drinks like tea, coffee, or soup.
- Refrain from eating hard food; or meat till your blisters gets healed.
- Eat soft foods which are easy to chew.
- Include more ginger and garlic in your daily cooking.
Using 2 or 3 home remedies as per your convenience and choice will surely help, to heal the blisters on your tongue. If in case, your tongue ulcers stay longer than 2 weeks, consult a doctor immediately to discover the cause, and get the further treatment.