Nose burning is mostly linked with nasal congestion, cold and flu. But, there may be other causes attached to it too that results in burning of nose.
If you treat the nose burn at home then you can also alleviate other symptoms such as headache, stuffy nose, runny nose, inflammation etc.
Table of Contents
- How to Stop Your Nose From Burning Inside?
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
- 2. Ginger, Lemon, Cayenne Pepper, Turmeric, Cinnamon & Black Pepper Tea
- 3. Steam with Eucalyptus Oil
- 4. Horse Radish
- 5. Hot and Cold Compress
- 6. Ginger Tea
- 7. Garlic & Honey
- 8. Garlic Olive Oil Massage
- 9. Tomato and Garlic Juice
- 10. Garlic Water Inhalation
Why Does My Nose Burn?
There may have been times when you felt a burning sensation in your nose. Given below are some causes that can trigger a nose burn.
- Nose has a mucus membrane which if rubbed roughly can cause a burning sensation. This usually takes place when you are suffering from a runny nose.
- Sunburn can also cause a burning sensation on the tip of the nose or nostrils.
- Chemical fumes
- Allergy to skin products, food, weather or medications etc.
- Worm infestation in children may also lead to burning nose.
- Excessive picking inside your nose may also lead to burning.
How to Stop Your Nose From Burning Inside?
The major cause of burning sensation of nose takes place due to heavy cold and sinus. If you feel a burning sensation then take a look at the home remedies given below:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Process 1. Apple Cider Vinegar
At home, you will usually find this bottle handy. This is a cure for most of the common problems that usually catch us off guard.
It contains Vitamins A, E, B1, B2, Calcium, and Magnesium among others. It is a great anti bacterial and fungal formula which helps in clearing the phlegm from sinus cavities.
Apple cider vinegar helps kill the bacteria or fungus that caused nose burning.
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- It is a simple remedy and you have to drink 1 tablespoon vinegar 3 times everyday
- Clears the sinus cavity and reduces burning of nose.
- It also prevents cold and flu.
Process 2. Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey
Honey is a soothing and calming agent. It is also anti bacterial and helps to reduce burning sensation and irritation from inside the nostrils. Suffering from cold is extremely annoying this home remedy relieves you.
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 cup lukewarm Water
- Take 2 cup of water and mix in honey and vinegar.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Consume this liquid thrice daily to alleviate the burnt and stressed nostrils.
- If you drink this solution regularly then you help in better digestion
- It will reduce the sneeze, runny nose, inflammation and burning.
2. Ginger, Lemon, Cayenne Pepper, Turmeric, Cinnamon & Black Pepper Tea
Turmeric, ginger and cinnamon are all anti bacterial, anti inflammatory. These are best for the treatment of burning sensation in nose.
Cayenne pepper is a natural medication against viral infections (1). Lemon helps to kill the sinus virus due to the presence of vitamin C.
This is an ultimate tea which clears away the sinus blockage almost in an instant.
- ½ inch grated Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Water
- Add 1 cup of water to a saucepan and place it on medium heat
- Add grated ginger to the water.
- When it starts boiling, add in turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, lemon juice and black pepper powder.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then take it off the heat.
- Cover and let it sit for 2 minutes
- Pour it in a cup and drink while it is still hot.
- This will clear the blockage and reduce the burning sensation in nose
- You can also drink it regularly to increase immunity.
3. Steam with Eucalyptus Oil
The best way to get rid of nose burning is to inhale steam with essential oils. At home this is the best way to clear the sinus passage ways.
When my nostrils burn due to the sinus infection it is the most irritating times ever. Inhaling steam relieves you off the burning sensation and clears blocked nose.
You can also inhale steam during severe headache or common cold other than sinus. There are many essential oils that you can use like tea tree oil etc.
Eucalyptus oil is considered the best for sinusitis and burning nose. This oil has anti fungal, anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties.
- 5 to 6 drops Eucalyptus Oil
- 2 cups Boiling Water
- 1 Bath Towel
- Transfer the boiling water in a large bowl
- Add eucalyptus oil to the water bowl
- Bend your head towards the bowl and quickly cover yourself with the bathing towel.
- Inhale the steam for a good 10 minutes
- This procedure can be done once every day to clear nose passage and get relief from nose burns.
4. Horse Radish
Are you finally irritated with the burning in nose? Then you must try out home remedies to get effective results immediately.
Horse radish is a common kitchen ingredient that helps to relieve nasal congestion and reduce burning caused due to sinus.
- 1 small piece of grated Horse Radish
- Take a pinch of grated horse radish and place it in your mouth.
- Leave it inside for 5 to 10 minutes
- Spit it out and then gargle with warm water
- Repeat it for 3 times every day.
- This helps to clear the mucus build up relieving you off the burning sensation.
5. Hot and Cold Compress
This is indeed the best way to get instant relief from nose burning from cold. When you switch between the hot and cold compress you actually stop the mucus build up and also release the mucus from the nostrils.
Doing this also reduces inflammation, redness and sinus burns.
It is actually an instant remedy for those people who want to get relief from painful effects of sinusitis.
- 2 large bowls full of Water
- 2 Towels
- Place one bowl of water in refrigerator for an hour.
- Heat the other bowl of water till it gets hot enough to handle.
- Dip one towel in hot water and the other in cold water.
- Wring it to take out excess water and compress over the sinus areas on nose and cheeks.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then alternate with cold water compress.
- Do this for 10 minutes and then see the magic.
- You can do this twice daily for best results.
More: Home Remedies for Cold
6. Ginger Tea
Ginger is popular home remedy for treating common cold, cough, mucus congestion and also sinusitis. It helps relieve nose burning from cold.
This root has been used since time immemorial as a natural medicine in ayurveda and Chinese medicine too. It is a wonder drug and clears asthma too.
- 1 or 2 small pieces of Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Honey
- 1 cup Water
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and then add 1 cup of water.
- Add the ginger pieces and let the water boil.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes and then take it off the heat
- Cover and let it steep for 5 more minutes.
- While it is warm mix in honey and stir well
- Drink it sip by sip for instant relief.
- You can drink this concoction 3 times a day.
7. Garlic & Honey
How to stop nose burning due to sinusitis? This is a quick and effective remedy against sinusitis and nose burns. It provides relief from inflammation.
Garlic is an antibiotic and is also anti inflammatory. It contains sulphur, allicin etc. which help to heal nose burns and sinus. Honey is a natural soothing agent. It calms the affected area.
- 2 to 3 cloves of Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Honey
- Peel and crush the garlic to form a paste.
- Add honey and mix well.
- You can eat the mixture as it is during breakfast or also apply it as a spread on toast.
- You can eat the mixture thrice daily to reduce the symptoms of sinus like nostrils burning, runny nose, swelling etc.
8. Garlic Olive Oil Massage
Massaging the affected areas with hot or warm oil helps to melt the mucus and relieve the symptoms of sinusitis. It clears the blocked nostrils, lowers the swelling etc. Garlic is an anti inflammatory, anti septic and anti bacterial agent.
Olive oil contains Vitamins A, D, E and K. Olive oil is generally used as carrier oil for medical massages due to its medicinal properties. When suffering from nostrils burning a regular massage with this oil is the best way to clear the cavity and relieve the symptoms of how to stop nose burning.
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 8 cloves of grated Garlic
- Pour olive oil in a saucepan and place it on medium heat.
- Warm the oil for 3 minutes
- Add the crushed garlic and heat it for 1minute
- Mix well and take it off the heat
- Let the mixture cool down a little. Then pour it in a jar and store it
- Every day before sleeping apply this oil on forehead, chest, back, nose, cheeks and massage all the areas really well.
- Leave it overnight and wash off in the morning
9. Tomato and Garlic Juice
This is one spicy mocktail that you are bound to love as a medicine! This is definitely the most popular home remedy for nose burning and sinusitis.
Tomato contains lycopene which is a powerful antioxidant (2). It also contains several vitamins and minerals that are essential for the immunity of human body.
Hot sauce and garlic provide warmth to the sinus cavity thus weakening the hold of mucus.
- 1 tablespoon chopped Garlic
- 1 cup Tomato Juice
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 pinch of Celery Salt
- Take a saucepan and add fresh tomato juice.
- Now place it on medium heat
- Let the tomato juice stay on boiling point for 4 mins.
- Now add in hot sauce, celery salt and chopped garlic to it.
- Mix well and boil for 2 minutes more
- Turn off the heat and let it cool
- When it is warm enough for you drink it.
- You can drink the juice twice daily till the burning sensation goes away.
10. Garlic Water Inhalation
If you are suffering from a bout of sinusitis then you would understand the annoying symptoms of my nose burns.
Well if you want to breathe freely then this is a quick and best remedy for you. Inhaling garlic water helps to clear nostrils and reduce the burning sensation too.
- 3 to 4 Garlic Cloves
- ½ cup of Water
- Soak the garlic cloves in water for 10 mins
- Now take them out and crush or grate them to a paste
- Take the paste in a spoon or small bowl and inhale this for 3 mins.
- You can perform this remedy 3 times a day for best results.
- When you inhale the raw soaked garlic the pungent aroma opens up the passageway and melts the mucus. It also brings relief from why do my nostrils burn.
These are some of the tried and tested home remedies for nose burns due to sinus. You can alleviate the symptoms easily by trying a few at home.
The remedies that are stated above for why does my nose burn when I have cold are completely natural without the use of any chemicals.
They are highly effective. If after trying the home remedies your nose burning and sinus infection does not subside it is recommended to visit a doctor at the earliest.