Do you know what impetigo is? Impetigo is a contagious bacterial skin infection. It frequently happens on the face, nose, legs, and arms but most commonly on face.
Individuals of any age can get impetigo, but it is most common among newborn and children below 5 years of age.
Impetigo is caused by 2 sorts of microscopic organisms. They are streptococcus pyogenes and staphylococcus aureus.
These microscopic organisms infiltrate the skin through open injuries, cut, insect bites, and so on and cause the contamination.
Table of Contents
- Natural Remedies for Impetigo
- 1. Garlic
- 2. Tea-Tree Oil
- 3. Impetigo Home Remedy-Grapefruit Seed Extract
- 4. White Vinegar
- 5. Manuka Honey
- 6. Home Remedies for Impetigo-Heat Therapy
- 7. Goldenseal
- 8. Coconut Oil
- 9. Aloe Vera
- 10. Impetigo Home Treatment –Cleavers
- 11. Lavender Oil
- 12. Dietary Changes
- Extra Tips for Healing and Preventing Impetigo
What Causes Impetigo?
As said above, impetigo is basically caused either by streptococcus pyogenes and staphylococcus aureus.
The 2 primary microorganisms prompt this infection. Furthermore, children’s, infants, and grown-ups can get impetigo if:
- Having poor cleanliness
- Being presented to humid climate
- Having open injuries
- Getting some different sorts of skin disease, like dermatitis, or eczema
- Attending school regularly
- Having diabetes
- Having weak immune system
- Having insect bites
What Are The Symptoms Of Impetigo?
The symptoms of Impetigo are different based on various kinds of impetigo. Let’s look below;
- Impetigo contagiosa
This is also called “nonbullous impetigo.” It frequently happens in youngsters thus tainted. The indications of this kind incorporate red bruises showing up around their mouth and nose, causing the bothersome rash.
- Bullous impetigo
This sort of impetigo happens predominantly in the kids under the age of 2. The side effects comprise of the blisters on the chest, legs and arms. Blisters cause the surrounding area to become itchy and red.
This is a very serious type of impetigo. The blisters are agonizing, causing open bruises.
But, if you are having symptoms like high fever, passing pink colored urine, or feeling too sick then, consult a doctor immediately, and take further medication.
How to get rid of infantigo? Infantigo is also a type of Impetigo and can be treated with impetigo home remedies.
Natural Remedies for Impetigo
The first home remedy for impetigo in adults which you should definitely not miss out is garlic. It can’t be denied that garlic is so valuable for treating numerous sorts of medical issues.
It is trusted that it is an enchantment home element for the greater part of sicknesses. As to impetigo, because of its anti-infection property it works so well to kill the bacteria bringing about impetigo.
Also, using garlic, impetigo symptoms, including pain, itching and irritation will be expelled quickly.
- Take few pods of peeled garlic.
- Crush it nicely, using a mortar and pestle.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and mix it with garlic.
- Now, apply this mixture on your affected skin.
Process: 2 Garlic Oil
- Take 3-5 cloves of peeled garlic, and crush them properly.
- Now, heat a small pan and add 1tbsp sesame oil.
- Add crushed garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Allow the mixture to cool down completely.
- Then, sieve the mixture, and use this garlic oil to apply to your skin.
- Use this solution 2 times a day for several days.
-You can also chew few cloves of garlic daily.
-Use garlic in your food as it helps in keeping infections away.
2. Tea-Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil might be not a bizarre cure to you as a natural solution for various medical problems. Tea tree oil is the unavoidable fixing in the items for cleaning and beauty care products ones.
For impetigo in adult’s face, tea tree oil has various advantages on it. Right off the bat, it prevents the contamination from spreading.
Besides, on account of its property to battle against microorganisms and irritation, tea tree oil is a magnificent element for recuperating the contamination, and additionally eradicating symptoms of impetigo and scabies also.
- Take few drops of tea tree oil, and mix it with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Apply this oil on your affected sores.
- Keep it for 15 minutes, and then wash off with warm water.
- Continue this application 2 times a day for few days.
- It also helps to reduce if there is any swelling.
3. Impetigo Home Remedy-Grapefruit Seed Extract
The concentrate from grapefruits is additionally considered as one of incredible home solutions for impetigo.
Owning its cell reinforcement and antibacterial, it is extremely powerful to fix the contamination caused by impetigo.
- Take 2 drops of grapefruit seed extract, and mix it with 2 tbsp of water.
- Use cotton to dab the solution on affected areas of your skin.
- Allow your skin to absorb the solution by keeping for at least for 30 minutes.
- After washing the area, apply vitamin E oil to reduce scars and dryness.
- This remedy can be repeated for 3-4 times a day.
- Either you can take grapefruit seed extract supplements 3 times a day for a week or so.
4. White Vinegar
To advance recuperating of the skin sores, it is basic to keep the infection clean. Therefore, white vinegar is very effective for infantigo in adults, as it plays a role of anti-microbial wash.
Using this antibiotic mixture prepared from white vinegar will help to stop the infection spreading further, and hasten your healing.
- Take 1 tbsp of distilled white vinegar.
- Mix it with 2 cups of warm water and stir it.
- Take cotton and dab in this solution, and apply over your infected skin.
- Keep it for some time, then, wash off with lukewarm water.
- Dry the area properly.
- Apply some antibiotic ointment in that area and cover it.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day.
Note: While washing the area, do not rub it as it may cause irritation of the skin.
5. Manuka Honey
Manuka honey contains antibacterial, antiseptic, and healing properties that can help inhibiting the bacterial growth that causes impetigo.
Honey has an antibacterial compound known as methylglyoxal (MGO) (1). Manuka honey, in specific, has a higher concentration of MGO than regular honey which is why it is more effective.
It additionally quickens the curing of the sores on the skin, and boosts your immunity.
- Take some manuka honey, and directly apply it on your affected skin.
- Leave it for several hours.
- Then, wash it with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy 3-5 times a day, to get a quick recovery from impetigo.
- You can also take 1-2 tbsp of manuka honey daily which will help to fight infections in your body, and also boosts your immunity.
6. Home Remedies for Impetigo-Heat Therapy
With Heat therapy it is just impossible for bacteria to flourish and spread. The heat from high temp water decreases microorganism’s development, rinses the skin, and goes about as a detoxifying operator.
- Soak a hand towel into a vessel of hot water.
- Squeeze the towel properly, and place it on your affected sores.
- Repeat this therapy various times a day, till your impetigo gets cured completely.
Goldenseal is one of the following home solutions for impetigo that you should try. With its sterile and antibacterial property, goldenseal works viably to purify the infected skin places, and enhances your immunity (2).
- Take 1 tsp of goldenseal powder, and mix it in 1 glass of hot water.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes.
- Then, strain the mixture, and allow it to cool.
- Apply this solution on your affected skin 2 times a day.
- Continue this remedy for few days to get rid of Impetigo.
- You can also apply goldenseal cream over your infected skin, or take goldenseal supplements 2 times a day for a week.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is loaded with elements which kill the bacteria that irritates and infect the skin. It is one of the safest solutions for infantigo, which is not just for adults, but you can also use it for children. It can heal the sores and decrease the existence of scars.
- It is best to take virgin coconut or organic coconut oil.
- Apply coconut oil on your blisters, and let it remain for 1 or 2 hours.
- There is no need to wash and you can reapply again.
- Repeat this multiple times a day for few days.
9. Aloe Vera
On account of the immense impact of aloe vera, including the capacity to fight microscopic organisms, irritation, and also the ability to mend the skin, aloe vera is additionally viewed as one of the great home solutions for impetigo.
It also helps to hydrates the skin, making it beneficial to treat flaky crusts from dried up impetigo sores.
- Take out aloe vera gel from its leaf.
- Apply this gel over your blisters.
- Keep it for 30 minutes, and wash off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a day for a week or so.
- Drink aloe vera juice daily, as it has abundant benefits for skin and health.
10. Impetigo Home Treatment –Cleavers
Cleaver is an adequate herbal remedy for treating impetigo. It can fight against the bacteria causing infection in impetigo. What’s more, they help to relieve the swelling caused by impetigo.
Process: 1 Tea
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pot, and add 1 tbsp pf cleaver leaves in it.
- Let the tea simmer for a few minutes.
- Allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes.
- Then strain the tea, and drink it every day.
- Wash some cleaver leaves properly.
- Blend it to make a smooth paste.
- Now, apply this paste over your affected skin.
- Let it remain there for 15 minutes, and then wash off.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a week.
11. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is one of the best essential oil which can be used for treating impetigo. Its antibacterial and germicide properties can wash down the skin from bacteria and germs related with infantigo.
- Take few drops of lavender oil, and apply it over your sores.
- It is best to apply with cotton.
- You can leave the cotton on your infected skin for few minutes.
- Then, remove the cotton, and allow blisters to dry of its own.
- Repeat this remedy 3-5 times a day.
12. Dietary Changes
Having a solid eating regimen will help combat the disease, improves immunity and advance speedy recovery.
- Add vegetables and citrus fruits in your daily diet.
- Use antioxidants foods such as green and leafy vegetables, green tea, and other organic products, as it enables the body to fight off the bacteria causing infection.
- Drink few glasses of fresh apple juice daily.
- Include zinc rich foods in your diet like, beans, nuts, cereals, shellfish, and whole grains. You can also take zinc supplements of 15 to 25 mg daily. But do consult a doctor before taking a supplement.
- Include omega-3 unsaturated fats like walnuts, flaxseeds, soya beans, salmon, etc in your diet.
- Stay away from refined sugars, fatty and junk foods.
- Avoid eating red meat till you get cured from impetigo.
- Make a point to drink a sufficient measure of water for the duration of the day to keep your body hydrated.
- Use turmeric in your cooking as its antiseptic in nature, which fights off infection in the body.
Extra Tips for Healing and Preventing Impetigo
Here are some tips which will hasten the healing process and prevent from recurring skin infection.
- Maintain good hygiene.
- Try not to touch the infected skin, as it spreads the infection.
- Keep your fingernails short and clean.
- Try not to scratch the sores or blisters.
- Take bath with Epsom salt water to treat infection.
- Wash your hands frequently with antibacterial cleanser, and abstain from sharing towels.
- Clean up or shower with warm water frequently.
- You can take pain medicines to get relief from painful sores.
- Wash materials and garments in boiling water, and dry them under direct daylight.
- Use antibacterial products to clean the floor surface of your home.
- Remain at home for a couple of days to counteract spreading this infectious skin issue to others.