Are you the one suffering from bunions? Is it hampering your daily walk? If you are looking for natural ways to treat bunions, then this article is perfect for you.
A bunion, medicinally known as hallux valgus, is a strange hard development on the foot that causes the joint of the base of the huge toe to wind up broadened and stand out.
This condition can likewise emerge in the pinky toe, bringing about a bunionette or tailor’s bunion.
Men and women both can experience the ill effects of bunions on feet, yet women are more inclined to get them, because of wearing high-heels and pointed shoes.
Additionally, since your shoes consistently rub against the bunion, it can additionally prompt development of corns and calluses.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies to Treat Bunions
- 1.Ice Pack
- 2. Oil Massage
- 3. Foot Exercises
- 4. Strawberry
- 5. Turmeric
- 6. Epsom Salt
- 7. Chamomile Tea
- 8. Laurel Leaves or Bay leaves
- 9. Lemon
- 10. Calendula
- 11. Aspirin
Causes of Bunions
There are certain factors which can contribute bunions to develop.
- Foot injuries or wounds
- Distortions exhibit during childbirth (inherent)
- Tight fitted shoes or high heels
- Uneven legs
- A wound can cause the big toe to point toward the other toes.
- Poor posture while walking, jogging or doing exercises
- Neuromuscular conditions like polio and palsy
- Rheumatoid arthritis or rheumatoid joint inflammation
Symptoms of Bunions
It is better to check for the symptoms at an early stage, to treat them with some natural remedies for bunions which further prevent bunions to next stage. Different side effects of bunions may include:
- pain and soreness
- burning sensation
- numbness in feet
- inflammation at the joint and base of the toe
- expanded skin thickness at the base of the toe
- hard skin under the foot
- bump on the base part of the toe
- presence of corns or calluses
- stiffness in toe
Wearing tight shoes or high foot rear areas or remaining for quite a while may exacerbate the manifestations.
Bunions start as little irregularities. They deteriorate after some time, in any case, causing pain and making walking troublesome.
These side effects can now and again deteriorate if the bunion is left untreated, so it’s best to see a doctor. They’ll get some information about your manifestations and analyze your foot.
Treatment for Bunions
You can treat bunion without a surgery. Bunion treatment at home is possible with some of our effective bunion home remedies.
Home Remedies to Treat Bunions
Bunions frequently become painful and swollen, after you have been on your feet for a really long time. To calm pain and swelling, ice treatment is a good choice.
The icy temperature incidentally numbs the nerve endings and gives help with discomfort. It is one of the easiest and best home remedy for bunions.
- Put a bunch of smashed ice in a thin towel and wrap it.
- Place it on the affected feet for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take a rest of 10 minutes.
- Then, repeat the above process 2 or 3 times more.
- Repeat this basic remedy up to several times a day, to get relief from inflammation and pain.
2. Oil Massage
Massaging the affected place day by day is one of the best ways to ease the discomfort associated with bunions. It also prevents forming of corns and calluses.
Regular massage enhances blood flow to the affected region. It even lessens the size of the bunion and makes the affected region less powerless to corns and calluses.
- You can choose castor oil, coconut oil, or olive oil to massage.
- Or you can mix few drops of each oil, and use.
- Take some warm oil of your choice, and apply it on the affected region.
- Do deep-friction massage, using your finger for about 10 minutes.
- Continue this process 2 or 3 times every day.
You can simply look for help from a massage specialist to reduce your bunions.
3. Foot Exercises
Inflexibility is one of the main causes for bunions, exercising your foot can help diminish the pain and make it flexible.
It can likewise slow down the progress of your bunion, therefore preventing further medical procedure or surgery.
Doing exercise every day strengthens the muscles of the legs and feet, and may avoid bunions from forming.
- Sit on a seat, and keep your foot on a tennis or golf ball.
- Roll the ball underneath the hills of the toes where it feels tight.
- Repeat it for 5 to 10 minutes every day.
- Sitting on a seat, cup the bottom of the affected foot in your palm.
- At that point interweave the fingers of your free hand between the toes of your foot.
- Curve the toes forward, and backward, upward, and downward, for about 8-10 minutes.
- Stand straight and point your toes straight ahead for 10 seconds.
- At that point twist them under for 10 seconds.
- Take a break, and repeat the set of 10.
- Continue doing this exercise for a few times.
These are few basic exercises that you can do easily at home. There are numerous more supportive exercises that you can learn from a physiotherapist.
They are loaded with mineral oils, vitamins, and antioxidants. It builds your immunity and keeps infection and diseases away.
Strawberries can lessen the levels of C or CRP, (1) an inflammation that happens in the blood as rising levels of CRP can increase the danger of cardiovascular illnesses, for example, stroke, and coronary illness.
Using strawberries will help alleviating any discomfort associated with bunions, and increases strength.
- Plan to take 300 grams of strawberries.
- Extract strawberries juice.
- Drink this juice every day before breakfast.
- You can also add 3tbsp of honey in it.
- Honey further helps in relieving pain, and strengthens immune system.
Turmeric is another powerful remedy to treat bunions. It contains curcumin, which has pain blocking capacity, and furthermore decreases inflammation. Turmeric can be utilized topically as well as orally.
Process: 1 Topical Use
- Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Add few drops of olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply it on your bunion.
- Keep it for 30 minutes, and then wash your feet.
- Continue this remedy 2 or 3 times in a day for a few days.
Process: 2 Oral Use
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric in a glass of warm milk, or water.
- Drink it 2 times a day for several days.
- You can likewise take 400 mg curcumin capsules, 3 times each day. Though, it is best to consult your specialist before taking a supplement.
6. Epsom Salt
If your bunions are caused due to joint inflammation or arthritis, then you must try taking Epsom salt soak to get rid of the pain.
Epsom salt being high in magnesium helps to maintain the pH levels in the body, which is significant to fight pain and swelling.
A warm Epsom salt douse will likewise deal with corns and calluses, the common symptoms related with bunions. Epsom salt soak help you get rid of Dry Peeling Skin on Bottom of Feet
- Fill some warm water into a little tub.
- Put 3-4 tbsp pf Epsom salt to the water and dissolve completely.
- Absorb your foot in it, till water cools down.
- Dry your foot altogether with a towel.
- Then massage your feet with some warm olive, or coconut oil for few minutes.
- Repeat this up to 3 times every week.
7. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is a famous and successful home grown cure that can give alleviation from bunion issues. It has calming properties that provides assistance from pain and inflammation. It might even help contract bunions.
You can attempt any of these remedies below or a blend of them:
- Make some tea using a chamomile tea bag.
- Drink it while it is still warm.
- Or you can also put used tea bag on your bunion.
- Follow this home remedy 3 or 4 times each day.
- Take some chamomile essential oil, and mix it with any carrier oil of your choice.
- Use this oil to massage your affected feet and toe for some time.
- Do this daily before going to bed. This will help in improving the alignment of your toe.
- You can even apply pain reliving ointment containing chamomile, on the bunions to diminish pain and swelling.
8. Laurel Leaves or Bay leaves
This sounds anomalous with regards to home solutions for bunions, however it works.
Laurel leaves or commonly known as bay leaves are analgesic, anti-oxidant, and anti-inflammatory in nature, (2) which soothes burning sensation of the feet, and provides relief from pain and inflammation. It works as an anticonvulsant in epilepsy.
These leaves and its shell contain basic oils, that has Eucalyptol, which can clear the airways and soothes the affected area. Moreover, laurel leaves work to diminish the measure of salt deposit in the big toe, accordingly lessening the symptoms of bunions.
Process: 1 Topical Use
- Take 4-5 bay leaves, and dry it for 2-3 days.
- Then, powder the leaves.
- You can apply the powder directly over your affected area.
- Let it settle for 2 hours, and then wash your feet.
- Repeat this method 2 times a day at least for a week.
Process: 2 Oral Use
- Take 3-4 bay leaves, and wash it thoroughly.
- Use a blender to mash them properly.
- Now, boil 300ml of water, and add this leaves in boiling water.
- Continue to boil them for 30 minutes, and then, allow it to cool down.
- Divide this mixture into 3-4 parts, and drink it several times a day.
Note: Use this remedy 3 days continuously, and then stop for few days, and again continue for 7 days.
This is one of the little-known home solutions for bunions. Lemon contains anti-oxidants and numerous minerals for the body, for example, vitamin C, vitamin B, pectin, potassium, and calcium.
Lemon is very helpful in Get Rid of Yellow Nails Naturally as it contains citrus extract which helps to shed dead skin cells naturally, and enhance new skin. Utilizing lemon as a treatment for bunion is extremely powerful, as it heals your big toe rapidly.
Process: 1 Lemon, Olive Oil and Milk
- Take 2-3 lemons, and extract its juice.
- Mix2 tbsp of olive oil, ¼ glass of milk, and 200ml of water with lemon juice.
- Warmth this blend to 50 degrees in a microwave.
- Utilize the blend to soak your feet for 20 minutes.
- Then dry your feet using a towel.
Process: 2 Lemon, Olive Oil and Brown Sugar
- Take two cups of brown sugar, with about a quarter measure of olive oil, and combine them with 1 tbsp of lemon oil.
- Blend the mixture together properly.
- Use this mixture to rub your toe and feet, after soaking it in water.
- Keep it for 20 minutes and then wash off.
- Repeat this remedy 1-2 times daily for several days, to treat bunions.
Another successful natural treatment for bunions is calendula, otherwise called marigold. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that assist in reducing pain and inflammation (3).
It even avoids the development of corns and calluses.
- Tenderly pound some calendula leaves with your hands to remove the juice.
- Apply the juice on the bunions, and enable it to dry on its own.
- Then you can wash off after 30-40 minutes.
- Follow this process 2 or 3 times every day.
- Or you can apply calendula balm on your affected region, 2-3 times a day for a few days.
Aspirin which is commonly used to treat headaches can likewise, be used to reduce the inconveniences related with a bunion. It can diminish stinging pain from the aggravated region. Additionally, it keeps the feet and toes soft, to avoid corns and calluses.
- Fill a small tub with warm water, and dissolve 2-3 aspirin tablets in it.
- Soak your feet in this water, till water loses its warmth.
- Pat your foot dry, and massage your affected area with some warm olive oil.
- Do this few times a day to get rid of pain.
Note: It is always advisable to do a patch test before attempting this method, as it may cause skin allergy to some people.
- Lift the affected foot each day for 10 minutes.
- Utilize needle therapy (acupuncture) for relief from discomfort.
- Choose proper footwear which has wide front, broad toes, and delicate soles.
- Use a shoe pad to keep your weight equitably, when you move your feet.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods in your diet, such as, walnuts, salmon, olives, blueberries, ginger, garlic, turmeric, sweet potatoes, strawberries, and cherries.
- Also, include vitamin A, B, and C rich foods, and increase the intake of protein.
- Try not to wear shoes with heels higher than 2¼ inches.
- Never wear a shoe that doesn’t fit.
- Keep away from tight-fitting socks or leggings.
- Avoid foods which cause inflammation like, all processed foods, red meat, whey protein, eggs, corn oil, all refined sugar, salt, and grains.
- Try not to utilize any supplements without consulting a specialist.
The above mentioned home cures are asserted to have the ability to decrease side effects of bunion on feet. Despite the fact that the home cures are very tedious, moderate acting, their outcomes are astonishing.
Pick some of them and interchange them in your treating to perceive how viable they are.