Hematoma is a common issue confronted by numerous individuals sooner or later in their lives. If you too are suffering with this tormenting condition, then threat not, as we will bring you natural cures on how to get rid of a hematoma.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies For Hematoma
What Is Hematoma?
Hematoma is characterized as accumulation of blood outside of veins (1). Most regularly, it is caused by damage to the mass of a vein, inciting blood to leak out of the vein into the encompassing tissues.
A hematoma can cause due to injury of a blood vessel, vein, artery, or small capillary. It is usually defined as bleeding with some clots or continuous bleeding and can be seen under the skin or nails in purple color. Hematomas may at times shape a mass or bump that can be felt.
Types of Hematoma
There are different types of hematoma based on their location. Such as;
Subdural hematoma: surrounded by the brain tissue and inside brain lining
Splenic hematoma: inside the spleen
Subungual hematoma: under the nail
Spinal epidural hematoma: amid spinal vertebrae, and the outside covering of the spinal cord
Ear or aural hematoma: within the ear cartilage and overlying skin
Hepatic hematoma: inside the liver
Intra-abdominal: inside the abdominal cavity
What Causes Hematoma?
Injury to blood vessels is the common cause for hematoma that can occur due to any harm to blood vessels, which can affect the blood vessel wall. Indeed, even a slightest wound to blood vessels can bring a hematoma.
Other causes of hematoma are listed below.
(1) Supplements that can increase the risk of hematoma are
- Vitamin E
- Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs
- Garlic supplements
(2) Certain blood thinner medications like
(3) Other medical conditions like
- Chronic liver disease
- Blood cancer
- Low platelet count
- Major trauma or accident
(4) Excessive alcohol consumption
Some of the common symptoms of hematoma are inflammation such as swelling, pain, and redness of the blood vessels location.
If you are experiencing these symptoms, you can treat them by using home remedies for hematoma treatment.
Home Remedies For Hematoma
How to heal a hematoma faster? Onion is very effective in curing hematoma provided your cut is not open. It contains a component known as allicin, which increases the lymphatic flow which helps the blood to go away from the skin.
Plus, it is loaded with strong anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-parasite property which fastens the healing.
- Take an onion, peel and cut them into slices based on the size of the hematoma.
- Keep these onion slices on the affected area for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this method daily for few days.
- Add onion in your cooking, for best results.
- Another option is to soak these onion slices in 2- 4 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Let it soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Then place these slices on hematoma area for 10 -15 minutes.
- Continue any of the above treatment for hematoma, till you get rid of this condition.
Pineapple contains an enzyme known as bromelain (2). Consuming more of this enzyme will help your injured blood vessels to improve faster. It will provide a quick relief from swelling and pain.
- Take a pineapple, peel and cut a thin slice.
- Place it on your hematoma area.
- Keep the slice for 3- 5 minutes.
- Avoid placing the pineapple slice on your affected skin for more than 5 minutes, as it may cause burning sensation to your skin.
- Otherwise, try drinking fresh pineapple juice 2 times a day.
- Or you may take bromelain supplements daily, but it is best to check with a doctor before starting this supplement.
How about trying some chocolates for hematoma treatment? It may sound irrational, but it is true, infact chocolate is considered to be one of the best natural ways for treating hematoma.
How to get rid of a hematoma bump? Warm chocolate pack helps to compress your injured blood vessels. It works by regulating the blood circulation in the hematoma area, and eases the bumps faster.
- Take a piece of plain chocolate, and melt it in a microwave.
- Let it cool down a bit.
- Apply this melted chocolate on your hematoma area.
- Avoid rubbing hot melted chocolate on the affected area, as it may burn the skin.
- To avoid chocolate spreading all over, cover the affected skin with gauze.
- Repeat this for few days.
4. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has many health benefits and it is another wonderful home solution for hematoma. It is widely known for its powerful effects on a body such as, it relaxes muscles, reduces swelling and pain.
- In a tub of warm water, dissolve 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak your hematoma area in this water till it loses its cool.
- Later, rinse your skin with regular water.
Note: It is always better to wash your skin properly, to avoid magnesium crystals stuck to your skin which may irritate your skin.
5. Witch Hazel
How to treat a hematoma? Witch hazel contains some astringent properties, which help with discomfort like pain and swelling associated with hematoma.
Witch hazel also helps to shrink swollen blood vessels. Plus, it is also effective in diminishing discoloration of the skin.
- Take a thin cosmetic pad and dip it in witch hazel.
- Rub this pad gently to your hematoma area.
- Keep it for few minutes, and cover the affected area with a bandage.
- Repeat this 2 times a day till you get rid from hematoma.
6. Sugar Syrup
Sugar is very beneficial in removing hematoma (3). It makes your skin tighter to avoid further spread of hematoma.
- Dissolve ½ cup of sugar in ½ cup of water.
- Boil till sugar melts properly, and becomes thick like syrup.
- Apply warm sugar syrup on your hematoma, and then cover up with a gauze.
- Keep it for 30 minutes, and then wash off with lukewarm water.
7. Cabbage Leaves
Cabbage leaves are one of the best remedy for hematoma treatment. These leaves are full of vitamins and phytonutrients, and a great source of anti-inflammatory substance.
Plus, cabbage leaves contains vitamins K and C, which are powerful anti-bruising elements.
- Take a fresh cabbage leaves, and removes its hard stems.
- Immerse these leaves in hot water for some time till they become soft.
- Then, grind them to a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected skin.
- Keep it for 30 minutes, and then wash off.
- Continue this method for about 3-4 times a day.
8. Lavender Oil
How to get rid of hematoma? Lavender oil is one of the best essential oil which can be used for treating hematoma. Its antiseptic and antibiotic properties can speed up the healing process, by alleviating swelling and pain naturally. Plus, it also helps in reducing scars of hematoma.
- Add few drops of lavender oil to a bowl of cold water.
- Soak a clean cotton cloth in this solution.
- Squeeze a bit, and place this cloth on your affected skin.
- You can leave this cloth on your skin for few minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a day, until you get cured from hematoma.
Turmeric is loaded with antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory substances, which prevent infection of the hematoma. It also increases the blood flow and treats hematoma effectively.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk.
- Drink this daily 2 times for few days.
- It is guaranteed to provide you relief from inflammation and pain.
Note: Avoid this remedy, if you are suffering from acidity, or ulcer problem.
Arnica is one of the herbal remedy for treating hematoma. Due to its medicinal properties, it assists you in diminishing the pain and swelling on the affected skin. Additionally, it also regulates proper blood circulation in the body.
- Get arnica gel from market.
- Apply this gel directly on your affected area 2-3 times a day.
- Continue for a week or so, till you get rid of hematoma.
- Take some witch hazel bark, arnica tincture, and chamomile flowers.
- Mix them together with few drops of lavender oil, and 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Soak a clean soft cloth in this mixture.
- Then, place it on your hematoma.
- Repeat this process 2 times daily, to get rid of the hematoma on your skin.
Toothpaste is easily available in every house. It is very effective in reducing swelling and discoloration of the skin faster. Moreover, it completely gives relief from the inflammation.
- Take some white toothpaste, and mix it with mild lotion.
- Apply this mixture to your hematoma, and cover it with gauze to avoid staining your bed.
- For better result, do this before going to bed.
- Let it stay overnight, and wash it in the morning.
- Continue this daily for 2- 3 nights to get rid of hematoma.
12. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is also one of the effective remedy for hematoma, due to its excellent healing qualities.
- Take cayenne pepper, and mix it with melted Vaseline with ratio1:5.
- Apply this mixture on your affected skin when it cools down completely.
- For best results: Follow this method daily for 3 weeks.
Note: Be extra careful when using cayenne pepper, as it may cause some allergies at times.
13. Cold Compress
It is one of the simplest remedy, as you don’t have to purchase or look for anything in your home. It numbs the area, and eases the pain and inflammation due to hematoma
You just need cold water or some ice cubes, and you will find an instant relief.
- Take a bowl of cold water, or wrap some ice cubes in a soft clean cloth.
- Put some cold water on your affected skin directly, or with the help of cloth.
- Keep it for 10 minutes.
- Take a break of 15 minutes, and then repeat again.
- Do this couple of times a day for a week or so.
Have you ever thought coffee can also be used to treat hematoma? It is very powerful in treating hematoma.
- You can directly dab some black coffee powder on your affected area.
- Keep it for 10-20 minutes, and then rinse it with water.
- Repeat this daily till you find relief from hematoma.
15. Vitamins and Minerals
There are certain vitamins and minerals which are essential for your body; as well it can also help in treating your hematoma due to their particular medicinal properties. Some of the sources of these effective vitamins and minerals are mentioned below.
It helps in liquefying the blood of a bruise. Some of its sources are oranges, broccoli, strawberries, papaya, bell peppers, and pineapple.
Lack of this vitamin can cause poor blood clotting and hemorrhagic diseases. Some of the natural sources of vitamin K are leafy greens, broccoli, green tea, sprouts, soy and its products, cauliflower, and fermented dairy.
Lack of this vitamin can cause easy bruising, pernicious anemia, and impaired blood clotting. Some of the sources of vitamin B12 are shellfish, cereals, dairy foods, eggs, yeasts, meats, and poultry.
Zinc plays a vital role in, developing healthy cells, faster recovery from wounds, and prevents swelling. Legumes, nuts, shellfish, seeds, whole grains, dairy, and dark chocolate are some of the sources of zinc.
It is highly recommended that one should have at least 50-100mg of zinc supplement daily.
Thus, it is important to maintain sufficient levels of these vitamin and minerals in your body. Taking these vitamins and minerals through natural sources or supplements will even help to prevent the formation of hematoma in a body.
Children are also prone to get hematoma as they get hurt very often. Hematoma caused by minor injuries can be easily treated by these home remedies, but if a person’s head injury is followed by vomiting, muscle weakness, headache, confusion, slurred speech then he/she should seek a medical assistance quickly.