Gout is an excruciating condition and generally people in 40s, obese, and alcoholic are most vulnerable to it.
Are you also travailing from extreme gout pain and looking for natural ways to cure it. If yes, then you are at the right page.
Keep reading further to know natural cure for your problem.
Gout is a type of joint pain that causes pain, tenderness, swelling, and inflammation of the joints. Different body parts like the ears, knees, wrists, lower legs, and little joints in the hands also gets affected with gout.
Mostly gout is caused due to large amounts of uric acid in the body. When kidneys are not able to remove that extra uric acid formed, then it gets accumulated and cause agonizing pain.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies For Gout
What Are The Types Of Gout?
Gout is categorized into four types based on different signs and stages.
- Asymptomatic Hyperuricemia – There are raised levels of uric acid in the blood, however no other signs in this stage.
- Acute Gout – In this uric acid begins to store in the body’s joints causing swelling, tenderness, and pain. It occurs mostly in the night and remains for 3 to 10 days.
- Interval Gout – This stage is in the middle of the acute gout when the patient has no signs.
- Chronic Tophaceous Gout – Permanent damaged is caused to joints with prolonged buildup of uric acid. The condition in this stage is really excruciating, but rarely people reach to this stage.
Have you ever thought what cause gout; let’s look into some of its causes.
What Are The Causes Of Gout?
Gout does not have particular causes, but rather numerous elements raise the danger of building up this excruciating illness. Some of the causes are;
- Hereditary – A family history of gout builds your odds of creating it
- Weight – If you are overweight, the odds of you creating gout are higher
- Age and Gender – Older men are more inclined to getting gout
- Liquor Consumption – Too much liquor impacts the body’s mechanism to remove excess uric acid
- Diet – Food that is high in purine content like meat liver, beef kidneys, mushrooms, anchovies, scallops, asparagus, and so on can expand odds of gout
- Medical problems, for example, hypothyroidism, high BP, Kelley-Seegmiller disorder or Lesch-Nyhan disorder can build odds of creating gout
- Lead exposure
- Certain meds like cyclosporine, niacin, diuretics, and so forth are likewise hazard factors for gout.
What Are The Symptoms Of Gout?
Some of the signs below will help you to identify whether you are suffering from gout or not.
- Pain in joints, which can be acute or severe
- Swelling, inflammation and tenderness of the joints
- Deposits of uric acid at bone joints
- High amount of uric acid in the body fluids
- Presence of uric acid in the joint fluid
Here are some home remedies for gout pain that can assist you with curing the symptoms of gout and give you some solace.
Home Remedies For Gout
1. Ginger Root
It is one of the gout remedies that is anti-inflammatory in nature, and is very beneficial in relieving pain and inflammation. Ginger root can be used in many different ways to treat gout.
Process: 1 Ginger Root With Fenugreek Powder
- Take ½ tsp each of ginger root powder (sonth) and fenugreek powder.
- Mix them in 1 glass of warm water, and have it daily 2 times a day.
- You can also add ginger root in your cooking, or have a small, raw piece of ginger root daily.
Process: 2 Ginger Tea
- Add some crushed ginger root to a glass of boiling water.
- Boil for 10 minutes, and allow it to cool.
- Strain the tea and drink it daily.
- You can also add 1tsp of honey to improve its taste.
Process: 3 For Topical Use
- Take a ginger root, peel, and grind it to a paste with some water.
- Apply this paste on your affected area.
- Leave it for 30-40 minutes, and then wash it with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy daily once.
- This is one of the best home remedies for gout in your feet.
Did you ever think that cherries, whether sweet or sour, can also cure gout? Yes, it can, cherries are loaded with antioxidant properties. It also contains anthocyanins, which can decrease inflammation as well as reduce gout flare-ups (1).
Why not start your day with some cherries.
-It is recommended to eat 15 to 20 cherries a for gout patients.
-Alternatively, you can drink a glass of black cherry juice daily for few weeks, and you will notice improvement in your condition.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, which is widely known to treat stomach acid and headache, also aids in treating arthritis and gout. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar helps to get rid of acute pain.
- Take 1 tsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it in a glass of water.
- You can also add honey to this; it will help to improve body’s anti-inflammatory response.
- Drink this solution 2-3 times daily.
- After trying this remedy for a few days, if you find this helpful, you can increase the intake of apple cider vinegar to 2 tbsp.
One of the effective home remedies for gout is banana. They are high in potassium which assists in converting uric acid crystals to liquid form, which can be easily flushed out from the body through peeing.
-Bananas also contain some amount of vitamin C that help to cope up with swelling and pain (2).
-Just by eating 1-2 bananas daily you will soon notice progress in your condition.
-Alternatively, you can add 1 ripe banana to ½ cup of yogurt that will also help to prevent diarrhea.
5. Cold Water
Cold water is one of the natural remedies for gout that helps in decreasing swelling and gout pain. You must be thinking then why not directly using ice.
It is because ice should not be used directly on skin when suffering from gout, as it can damage the skin and aggravates the condition.
- Take a big basin or tub filled with cold water.
- Soak your affected joint in cold water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Continue to do this several times a day.
Process: 2 Ice Pack
- Another option is to use an ice pack for about 15 minutes.
- Wrap it in a towel, and then place it on the inflamed joint.
- Repeat this 2 times a day.
Caution: Never rub the ice directly onto your inflamed join, and excess use of ice packs should be avoided, as it can lead to crystallization of uric acid.
6. Baking Soda
One important reason contributing to gout is increased level of uric acid in the body. This home remedy using baking soda will help to decrease the content of uric acid, and will provide you great relief from pain.
- Mix ½ tsp of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Have this solution up to 4 times a day but not more than that.
- Follow this remedy for 2 weeks to treat gout.
Note: People above 60 years, should not consume this solution more than 3 times a day. Also, hypertension patients should completely avoid this remedy.
7. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has many health benefits and it is another great remedy for treating gout, and other forms of arthritis. This salt being high in magnesium helps to maintain the pH levels in the body, which is significant to alleviate pain, inflammation, and swelling.
Plus, it also lowers high blood pressure, and improves the condition of your heart
- Fill a bath tub with some warm water.
- Put 2 cups of Epsom salt to the water and dissolve completely.
- Immerse your body in it till water loses its warmth.
- Repeat this every week, however, for chronic gout you can repeat this remedy 3 times a week.
8. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is a perfect remedy for gout as it can absorb uric acid. Its natural absorption property helps to eradicate uric acid, and other toxic substances from the body through urination.
It also provides quick relief from pain. Taking a charcoal bath 2-3 times a week helps to treat gout effectively.
- Take ½ cup of charcoal powder, and mix it with some water to form a paste.
- Mix the paste in a small tub filled with water.
- Soak your affected joint for at least 30 minutes.
- This method is a great treatment for gout in the ankle joint or big toe.
- Empty the capsules of 2 or 3 activated charcoal.
- Stir it with adequate water to make a paste.
- Apply this on your inflamed joint for 30-40 minutes.
- Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy daily, till you find relief from gout pain and swelling.
- Another option is to take activated charcoal capsules for few days, after consulting a doctor.
9. Lemon Juice
If you want to get comfort from gout pain, then it is necessary to alkalize the body and eradicate the excess uric acid, which can be done by using a powerful ingredient known as lemon juice.
Lemon juice is also rich in vitamin C which boosts immunity, and helps to strengthen the body tissues.
Process: Lemon Juice with Baking Soda
- Extract juice of 1 lemon, and mix it with ½ tsp of baking soda.
- Leave it for few seconds till fizz stops.
- Then mix with 1 glass of water.
- Drink this solution immediately.
- Continue this remedy daily once for few days.
- Another option is to drink lime water 3 times a day.
10. Olive oil
Olive oil is enriched with healthy fats that apply a mitigating impact on the swollen joints in gout and joint pain. It is also antioxidant in nature which removes free radicals and toxins from your body.
-Olive oil along with other vegetable oils is usually suggested for gout patients.
-Use olive oil in your daily cooking. You can even use extra virgin oil in your salads and dressings.
This proverb, an apple a day keeps a doctor away is very true in case of gout. Malic acid is found in apples, which assists in removing uric acid from the body. Because of this property, apple is ideal for gout treatment, as it decreases inflammation and alleviates pain of the joint.
-It is best to eat apple several times a day, or you can eat after every meal.
Quinoa is one of the healthiest grains on earth (3). It comprises of building blocks for an intense cell reinforcement that keeps up healthy joints and tissues.
-You can easily replace your whole grain with quinoa.
-It can be boiled and used instead rice, or you can have quinoa bread.
-There are umpteen recipes online which can help you to include quinoa in your diet.
Kale is loaded with vitamin C and powerful antioxidants, which reduces uric acid levels in the body fluids, thus relieving the symptoms of gout.
-Use this green leafy vegetable in your diet. You can add in your salad and sandwiches.
Pineapple has ‘bromelain’ enzyme that is anti-inflammatory in nature (4), and is useful for the joint inflammation in gout. Plus, this enzyme helps to break down the accumulation of uric acids.
-Have 2-4 servings of pineapple in a day. You can even add pineapples with other healthy fruits for gout.
Exercise for gout is also one of the natural cures. Doing exercise regularly normalizes insulin levels that help to decrease the level of uric acid in your body.
Plus, it will help to decrease the frequency and severity of gout flare-ups.
Therefore, if you are suffering from gout, then just try these home remedies to get rid from pain and inflammation. Always keep in mind that home remedies take time to treat the condition. So, you may not notice results instantly, but gradually.