Eyes are considered as the most sensitive part of the body. Even a small infection or irritation can trouble your eyes and create further difficulty.
Cysts or boils on eyelid is the common problem of eyes. Slight inflammation, or blocked oil glands can cause boils or cysts to appear.
Cysts on eyelids are so painful and infuriating that can disrupt a normal lifestyle of a person.
Are you facing difficulty to sleep or not able to concentrate on work because of the cyst on your eyelid? You must be looking out for someone to help you from this painful cyst.
We are there to help you to get rid of cyst on eyelid naturally.
Table of Contents
- What are Eyelid Cysts?
- Types of Eyelid Cysts
- Eyelid Cysts Symptoms
- What Causes Cysts in Eyelid?
- Treatment To Get Rid of a Cyst on Eyelid
- Home Remedies for Treating Eyelid Cysts
What are Eyelid Cysts?
There are different types of eyelid cysts which we will look into, but one thing is common in all, that they all cause inflammation in the eyelid, and its surrounding area.
Cysts get cured naturally, or in some cases it requires antibiotics or even a surgery, depending on its severity.
Types of Eyelid Cysts
Eyelid cysts are also known as ‘Chalazion’ which is one type of cysts. This type of cyst contains fluid and is firm, and is caused by blocked eye glands.
Stye, a very common eyelid cyst; it’s a swollen red bump, which is very painful, caused by infections.
Sweat gland cysts, which is a very dangerous cyst and require medical attention.
Other types of Eyelid cysts are Keratosis cysts and inclusion cysts.
Eyelid Cysts Symptoms
Mostly, all cysts symptoms are same and swelling is common in all. Let’s gaze on some other symptoms for your identification.
- Swelling in eyelid
- Painful eyes
- Burning sensation in eyes
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes or tearful eyes
- Redness in eyes
- Tender eyes with increase crust
- Sensitivity towards light
- Sometimes red bump filled with pus or mucus
What Causes Cysts in Eyelid?
Mostly, it is difficult to know the exact cause for your eye cysts, but some of the reasons which lead to form eyelid cysts are:
- Poor hygiene and nutrition
- Infection (staph bacteria)
- Unhygienic contact lenses
- Cosmetic chemicals or make-ups which irritates the eyes, and cause infection
Treatment To Get Rid of a Cyst on Eyelid
If your eyelid cysts are in former stage, then it can be treated with some of our home remedies, but if your condition has excruciating, then it is better to check with an eye specialist or doctor.
How to get rid of a cyst on your eye?
Though cysts often heal naturally, but you can still choose some remedy to progress your healing and ease your troublesome symptoms.
Follow these home remedies below, which are very effective in treating cysts or boil on eyelid.
Home Remedies for Treating Eyelid Cysts
1. Warm Compress
It is one of the easiest and most effective remedy to heal eyelid cysts swiftly. Heat promotes blood circulation, which removes the blocks in the eye glands, and thus reduces pain and inflammation. Warm compress can also help you get rid of black eye.
- Take a soft clean cloth and a bowl of hot water.
- Soak this cloth in hot water, squeeze, and keep it on your eyes.
- When the cloth becomes cold, repeat the same process again for about 10 minutes.
- How to get rid of cyst on eyelid. Repeat this method 3-5 times a day, for several days.
2. Castor Oil
Castor oil has been used for decades to cure styes or eyelid cysts. It contains anti-inflammatory property which is best in alleviating pain and swelling. With this home remedy your eyelid cysts will disappear fast.
- Do warm compress for about 5 minutes.
- Then, with a cotton ball, apply some castor oil on your eyelid.
- Follow this process 2 times a day, for a couple of weeks.
Process: 2 Castor oil with Turmeric
- Take ½ tsp of turmeric powder, and mix it with some castor oil.
- Before applying, wash your eyes thoroughly.
- Apply this paste on your stye or affected area.
- Let it settle for about 15 minutes, then clean your eyes again.
- How to get rid of an eye cyst. Continue this remedy 3 times daily for few days.
More: Castor Oil for Acne
3. Guava Leaves
Did you ever think that guava leaves can actually cure your eye problem? Actually, it is one of the best home remedy for eyelid cysts.
Guava leaves has lots of benefits, it is not only good for eyes, but also good for skin, hair and boosts immunity.
Leaves of guava are anti-inflammatory in nature, which is very helpful in fighting against inflammation and pain.
It prevents bacteria and removes free radicals, thus cures the infection in the eyes.
- Take few fresh guava leaves and wash it.
- Heat the leaves in a pan.
- Now, cover the leaves with a clean cloth.
- Put this cloth on your affected area for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the method when leaves become to cool down.
- Follow this process 2 times a day, till your eyelid cysts gets heal.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is good in anti-inflammatory and antibacterial nature, which treats most of the eyelid cysts symptoms like redness, irritation, swelling, and other discomfort.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf, wash, and remove its gel.
- Now, apply this gel directly on your boils or eyelid.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes, and then wash it with plain water.
- How to get rid of a cyst on eyelid. Repeat it 2-3 times a day till your symptoms persists.
5. Rose Water and Honey
Rose water has anti-inflammatory and cooling properties (1). It is mostly used as eye cleanser, as it removes dirt’s and impurities from eyes, and provides instant relief from irritation, swelling, and dryness.
Honey is another effective ingredient in curing pain and inflammation. Combination of both makes it a perfect remedy for treating eye cysts or stye.
- Take 1 tsp of rose water, and mix it with ½ tsp of honey.
- Apply this mixture on your eyelid, and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Then, wash off with plain water.
- You can also pour 1-2 drops of rose water in each of your eyes as a cleanser.
Note: Rose water may create slight burning sensation for few seconds, but if your eyes continue to burn then avoid using it.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a popular antidote for many health problems, and is easily available in your kitchen.
It contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties with other healing elements like, probiotics, magnesium, and acetic acid, which provides relief from swelling and pain.
It fights the infection of your eye by killing harmful bacteria, which causes pain and other symptoms. Regular consumption of apple cider vinegar in water keeps infection at bay.
- Add 1-2 tsp of ACV in a cup of hot water.
- Apply this mixture on your eyelid with a cotton swab.
- Use this remedy often at least 3-4 times a day.
7. Onion Juice
Many of us keep onions at home, which is why it is very convenient to use this remedy. Onion is a super ingredient for healing lots of diseases.
Regular use of onion prevents cardiovascular diseases, cold, and flu.Onion contains lot of flavonoids, mainly quercetin that helps in alleviating pain and swelling.
Plus, it’s loaded with antioxidants and phytochemicals, which speed up the recovery process.
- Take few onions, and extract its juice.
- Use cotton to apply some juice on your affected eyelid.
- Also, increase the intake of onion, by adding in your curries and salads.
- Follow this process 2-3 times a day, to get a quick recovery from eyelid cysts.
Cucumber has many uses for skin and it is well known for bringing nourishment to your skin and eyes. It is rich in caffeic and ascorbic acids which is effective in curing your eyelid cysts.
Cucumber provides cooling effect to your eyes, and offers relief from burning eyes and irritation.
Additionally, its astringent properties help you to get away with pain and swelling.
- Take a fresh cucumber, peel its skin.
- Then, cut it into thin slices.
- Put slice on your affected eye for about 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy couple of times a day until your condition improves.
9. Acacia Leaves
Some of you have not heard about acacia leaves, it is very effective in treating eyelid cysts and boils. Its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties provide complete relief from pain and swelling (2).
This home remedy even treats blocked vision, which is a severe condition of eyelid cysts.
Combining acacia leaves and warm compress, provides you with an immense result.
- Take few washed leaves of acacia and put it in 1 glass of hot water.
- Wrap these hot leaves in a clean cloth.
- Then, keep this warm cloth on your affected eyelid till it remains warm.
- This remedy is similar to warm compress.
- Do this process 3-5 times a day for couple of days.
Note: Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid this remedy due to its adverse effect. Also, for some people it can cause an allergy or if you are allergic to this leaves then do not try this remedy.
10. Green Tea
Green tea is one of the most healthiest and well-known remedy for treating various diseases.
Being loaded with anti-inflammatory properties and tannic acid is a perfect remedy to prevent infections, and reduce cysts.
Abundance of antioxidants proceeds towards a quick recovery from eyelid cysts and eases its symptoms. Green tea for very helpful to get rid of blood spot in eye.
Drinking green tea regularly prevents the occurrence of infection, by removing all the unwanted toxins and free radicals from the body.
Process: Green Tea Bags
- Take a tea bag, and soak it in hot water for about 5 minutes.
- Then, strain the excess water, and put this warm tea bag on your eyelid.
- Keep the bag for few minutes or till it becomes cool.
- Repeat this remedy 3-5 times a day to get rid of eyelid cysts.
Additional Tips for Eyelid Cysts
We have got some extra tips for you which will not only treat your problem, but also help to prevent it.
- Maintain a good eye-hygiene. It is a good practice to frequently wash your eyes, especially when you come from outside.
- Keep your hand sanitized, or wash it regularly to avoid spreading of germs.
- Do nut rub your eyes as it will irritate more.
- Use branded eye make ups, and wash your eye makeup before going to bed.
- Stay hydrated which is the most important tip to be considered.
- While suffering from eyelid cysts, avoid wearing contact lenses or cosmetics till it gets cured.
- Never share your mascara, eyeliner, and eye pencil (kajal) with anyone.
- Do not try to squeeze the pus or mucus from cysts, allow it to heal of its own.
- Stay away from pollution and dirt.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Breast milk is very effective for curing eyelid cysts. You can apply few drops on your eyelid to cure it faster.
- If pain is bothering you, then try taking a pain reliever which is safe and recommended.
- You can also apply tomato juice on your affected eyelid, as it contains detoxifying properties to promote faster healing from the cysts.
- Massaging your affected eyelid is another way of getting rid from cysts. It promotes blood circulation and makes the area softer, but massage gently.
If you follow any one or few of these remedies, you will definitely be able to get rid of your eye problem faster.
Life is in our hands, a lot of it depends on how we take care of our life by making right decisions.
We hope that you make a right decision of following the tips and remedies to avoid any further complications.
Eyes are very precious and if neglected can cause a great damage. If your eyelid cyst doesn’t heal in a week’s time even after trying these home remedies, we suggest you to check with a doctor or an eye specialist.