A dry throat can be more than just an irritation. The constant scratchy throat hinders your efficiency at work and home.
Cold season often brings this contagious infection from which it is difficult to escape.
Dry throat is an awkward and regularly agonizing issue which is typically caused by an irritation of the pharynx, a tube that stretches out to the back of the mouth to the throat tube that prompts the stomach.
There are a few reasons causing this distress and agony in the throat.
Table of Contents
- Best Home Remedies for Dry Throat
Causes of Dry Throat
- Viral and bacterial infections (cold and flu, cough, fever, runny nose, etc.)
- Seasonal allergies, hay fever
- Breathing with an open mouth
- Cold or dry air
- Dust pollution
- Drinking alcohol or caffeine
- Side effects of certain medicines, and so on
Symptoms of Dry Throat
The side effects may look like strep or sore throat, for example,
- Trouble in gulping
- Scratchy throat
- Inflammation of the pharynx and throat
- Persistent cough
- Body pains
- Fever and so forth
Symptoms of dry throat at night usually increases, therefore it is very important to know what to do when your throat is dry.
We will bring you best of our home remedies for dry throat remedies which will help you in getting a quick relief from your dry throat.
Best Home Remedies for Dry Throat
Salt water gargling is a well-known dry throat cure. Salt lessens the swelling, and discomfort caused by dry throat.
Plus, it also helps in fighting against viruses, and irritants in your throat.
- Add1 tsp of salt in a cup of warm water.
- Stir the water till salt is dissolved.
- Use this water to gargle for 30 seconds each.
- How to get rid of a dry throat. Repeat this 4-6 times a day, especially after every meal.
How to cure a dry throat? Lack of moisture makes throat dry and itchy, honey works best in removing the ticking sensation from your throat.
Additionally, honey has antiseptic and antibacterial effects, coats the throat, which prevents sore throat caused due to rubbing on the walls of the throat.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of organic unfiltered honey.
- Mix it in 1 cup of warm water.
- Drink this solution 2 times a day for a week.
- This remedy will help you to cure your dry throat.
3. Ginger Tea
If you are thinking how to make a dry throat go away, then you should definitely try ginger tea.
This spice is loaded with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which may help cure throat pain and inflammation.
One research shows that applying ginger extract, to throat of people suffering with upper respiratory tract infections helped in fighting off some of the bacteria responsible for the sickness.
- Take a small fresh ginger root, wash, and peel the skin.
- Grate this ginger, and put in 500 ml of boiling water.
- Boil the water by covering the lid for 10-15 minutes.
- After removing from heat, strain the tea.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey and mix it.
- If you want you can squeeze some lemon juice, and add to a tea.
- Drink this tea when hot, and can repeat 2-3 times a day.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is considered to be one of the greatest dry throat remedies. It’s a natural health tonic used from centuries. Acetic acid is the main active agent that helps fight bacteria, and viruses in your throat.
How to get rid of dry throat? Try a common medicinal preparation called Oxymel, which is mainly a combination of honey and apple cider vinegar, which was invented by ancient Greek physician known as Hippocrates.
ACV is a part of many traditional medicines, and used extensively to treat viral symptoms, like coughs, cold, and sore throats.
- Take 1 tbsp of ACV, and mix in 1 cup of warm water.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey, and drink this solution daily.
- It provides an instant relief form throat pain, and tingling sensation.
- Continue this remedy for few days.
5. Sage and Echinacea Throat Spray
Sage is mostly used in cuisine, but this herb also has some therapeutic benefits. It has been utilized to treat numerous inflammatory conditions, and researches propose it can help diminish sore throat.
Echinacea is another herb that helps to fight microscopic organisms, and decrease irritation and pain (1).
In one examination, a sage and echinacea spray was quite more viable at decreasing sore throat than a chlorhexidine lidocaine antiseptic spray.
You can make your own medicinal spray at home, which is safe, as it does not have any side effects.
- Place 1tsp each of ground sage and echinacea in a small jar.
- Boil 1 cup of water, and place this jar in boiling water.
- Let it immerse for 30 minutes.
- Strain this mixture, and add to ½ cup of liquor.
- If you don’t drink liquor then you can avoid it.
- Place this mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray it 2-3 times a day, or whenever you feel your throat is getting dry.
Basil is an age old remedy to treat all kinds of viral infections like, cold, cough, sore throat, and dry throat. Plus, if combines with honey, it works wonders! Moreover, it is very safe for young children as well.
- Take 8-10 fresh basil leaves, and wash them thoroughly.
- Boil these leaves in 500 ml of water, for about 10-20 minutes.
- Strain the decoction, and add 1 tbsp of honey.
- Drink this decoction regularly for few days.
- It not only treats dry throat, but also prevents infections.
How to cure dry throat? This yellow spice is a storehouse of antioxidant, which helps to fight many dreadful diseases.
- Take ½ tsp each of turmeric and salt.
- Mix in 1 cup of warm water.
- Gargle with this water 2 times a day.
- Turmeric also helps to alleviate your stomach issues.
8. Marshmallow Root
Since Middle Ages marshmallow plant has been used to cure sore throats, and other illness. The root of this plant holds a substance like gelatin called mucilage, which provides relief from swallowing, by effectively coating and lubricating your throat.
Process: Marshmallow Root Infusion
- Take 1 ounce (28gms) dried marshmallow root.
- Fill a jar with 1 liter cold water.
- Wrap marshmallow root in a cheesecloth, and tie it properly.
- Place this into the jar till it’s fully absorbed in water.
- Leave it overnight or for 7-8 hrs, and then remove the cloth.
- Take 1 cup from this jar, and drink by adding sweetener of your choice.
- Or you can have small sips of this brew throughout the day.
- This remedy soothes a painful throat, and reduces symptoms of a dry throat.
9. Black Pepper and Clarified butter
Black pepper and clarified butter (usually known as ghee) are outstanding combination used to treat dry throat.
It is usually known as king of spices, and is very useful for treating cold symptoms like, cough and sore throat.
It also increases body metabolism and improves digestion. Black pepper is spicy so adding ghee helps to mild the spiciness.
Clarified butter moisturizes your dry throat, and exhibits antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Chew some pepper pods thoroughly.
- Next, take ½ tsp of melted warm ghee to clear the pepper in your throat.
- Repeat it 2 times a day regularly for few days.
Note: Restrain from drinking water for at least 30 minutes after trying this remedy.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
It antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory in nature, which helps to fight viruses and bacteria in the body causing dry throat. Fenugreek can also help to Get Rid of Tickle and Itchy Throat Naturally at Home.
- Take 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds, and place it in 1 glass of boiling water.
- Let the water boil till it turns to yellow.
- Then switch off the heat, and allow it cool to get warm.
- You can drink this water, or use it to gargle 2 times a day.
- To avoid the bitter taste of water while drinking, you can mix 1 tbsp of honey.
- You can definitely cure your dry throat by regularly following this method.
11. Slippery Elm Licorice Tea
Slippery elm consists of a gel-like substance that assists to coat and soothes the throat, thus reducing dry throat. It takes away that scratchy feeling from your throat, by actually moisturizing it, and speeds up the healing process.
- Take1 tsp of inner bark of the slippery elm.
- Place this in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Boil it for 10 minutes, and then sieve the tea.
- Drink this tea to get an instant relief from the problem.
- You can also add some honey before drinking to enhance the taste.
12. Licorice Tea
Another remedy which is helpful in treating sore throat is Licorice tea. Due to its antibacterial and antifungal nature, it combats infections and irritants in the throat which makes it dry.
Licorice is very effective in treating seasonal allergies, and soothes stomach related problems like indigestion, stomach ulcers, and GERD, which also causes dry throat.
- Boil 1 cup of water, and add 1 tbsp of licorice powder.
- Mix well and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea, and drink.
- Drinking this tea 2-3 times daily helps to cure throat dryness, and its symptoms.
13. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea contains mitigating effects (2) and is to a great degree alleviating to the throat. The mint may likewise somewhat numb your throat, in this way diminishing pain.
Peppermint herbal teas are easily available in the market, but you can make your own at home.
- Take some fresh peppermint leaves, and put in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 5 minutes, and then strain the tea.
- Enjoy this refreshing tea 2-3 times a day to reduce your throat discomfort.
Tips and Precautions for Dry Throat
Here are some tips which will help you to ease your throat discomfort and prevent it from occurring again;
- Drink a lot of water, particularly warm water to ease the dry throat, and furthermore to keep it saturated, and in this way expels the uneasiness and discomfort from the dry throat.
- Inhale steam as it will moisturize your throat and removes congestion. For doing this, heat up some water and pour it in a large bowl, then begin breathing in the vapors of the steam by covering your head for 10-20 minutes, 2-3 times a day.
- Take enough rest by sleeping and talking less. This way you will heal your throat faster.
- Consume warm liquids like soups, herbal teas, or just warm lime honey water, as it will calm the dry and disturbed throat by moisturizing and hydrating it.
- Ensure that not to drink caffeinated drinks, or alcohol, as they result in lack of hydration.
- Try eating herbal lozenges for comforting your throat pain and scratchy feeling.
- Run an indoor humidifier, as vapors will calm and moisturize your dry throat.
- Stay away from fried and junk foods till your throat gets healed. Rather, choose vitamin C rich foods which can boost your immunity.
- Have chewing gums regularly, as it will produce more saliva in your mouth which will prevent your throat getting dry. But make sure to eat unsweetened ones, as sweet chewing gums will cause your throat to become drier.
- Stop smoking and use of tobacco items, as they chafe the throat tissues and influence you to experience the ill effects of dry throat for a drawn out periods.
- If your throat problem lasts for more than 10 days, or doesn’t get better even after trying these home remedies, then do consult a doctor.
Is it true that you are experiencing dry throat regularly, alongside tingling sensation in the throat? Have you attempted any of the previously mentioned solutions to get help from the issue?
Do you know some other natural solutions for treating dry throat? Do not forget to share your experience with us.