It was a sunny day. Mark decided to go for a picnic on a Sunday with his friends. He enjoyed the day playing cricket and had a sumptuous meal.
While he was walking down the bushy areas yellow jacket sting him which spoiled his wonderful day.
Yellow jackets are gathered in thousands and mostly found in underground places. When it stings, it does not sting once but many times.
Yellow jacket sting is really painful compared to bee sting. Sometimes they are also mistaken bees, due to their similar look.
Sting of yellow jacket causes severe pain, redness, irritation, swelling and tingling on the stung region for at least two to four days.
Despite the fact that this is brief and for the most part does not cause genuine inconveniences, it can be awkward and irritating for a few people.
What to put on a yellow jacket sting? Such stings can be treated naturally by using home remedies for yellow jacket sting. Here are 13 tried home cures for curing yellow coat sting.
Caution: If you are adversely affected by honey bees and wasps, it can cause episodes of trouble breathing and swallowing, vomiting, dizziness, swelling of the tongue and stammered speech.
You might encounter severe allergic reaction, in which the body ends up excessively touchy to an antigen causing a perilous hypersensitive response.
For these situations, look for prompt emergency medical attention, or call 911 immediately.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies for Yellow Jacket Sting
1. Cold Compress
It is one of the simplest remedy, as you don’t have to purchase or look for anything in your home. Before trying any other remedy, it is best to use cold compress first. It numbs the area and eases the pain and itching.
You just need cold water or some ice cubes, and you will find an instant relief.
- Take a bowl of cold water, or wrap some ice cubes in a soft clean cloth.
- Put some cold water on your sting directly, or with the help of cloth.
- Keep it for 10 minutes.
- Take a break of 15 minutes, and then again repeat.
- Repeat this multiple times within 24 hrs, and you will find comfort from inflammation.
2. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is incredible remedy for yellow jacket wasp. Its natural absorption property helps to eradicate toxic substances from the body. Use activated charcoal immediately after getting stung by a yellow jacket to prevent swelling, as well as pain.
- Take a tablet of charcoal and wet it slightly.
- Rub this charcoal on normal band aid, till it becomes fully black.
- Then, place this band aid on sting area.
- Replace the band aid after 2-3 hours with a fresh one.
- Continue this remedy as per need.
- In a small bowl, empty the capsules of 2 or 3 activated charcoal.
- Stir it with adequate water to make a paste.
- Apply this on the stung area for 2-3 hours.
- Then wash off with tepid water.
- Do again, if needed.
- Another option is to take activated charcoal capsules for few days, after consulting a doctor.
3. Baking Soda
One of the best yellow jacket sting treatments is using baking soda. All you require is baking soda, and some water, and you will soon find comfort from inflammation, and itching.
Being alkaline in nature, baking soda is effective for treating insect bites, as it neutralizes the venom.
- Take 1 tsp of baking soda, and add sufficient water to form a paste.
- Keep the paste thin, so that it can easily spread through the affected area.
- Before application, make sure your hands are clean.
- Apply the paste on your affected area, and rub for 5-10 minutes.
- Then clean it with tepid water.
- You can repeat this remedy 2-3 times or whenever required.
4. Organic Raw Honey
Raw honey is extremely helpful in alleviating sting pain caused by yellow jacket. It contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which help to diminish pain and inflammation quickly, and prevents infection.
- Take 1-2 tsp of pure honey, and spread it to your sting.
- Keep it for 30 minutes, and then wash off with warm water.
- Pat dry, and apply some calendula lotion, or other lotion for couple of days.
- Take 1 tbsp of honey, and mix it with 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Apply this paste on your sting.
- Keep it for 20 minutes, till it gets dry, and then wash off with tepid water.
- Repeat 2-3 times daily for 2 days.
How to treat a yellow jacket sting? With this remedy you will definitely find a great relief from pain, and swelling.
It is bad for health, but in this case, it can be helpful as it contains anesthetic properties which help to soothe the inflamed skin.
Tobacco has nicotine which aids to control pain (1), as well as removes the venom left in your skin by a yellow jacket wasp. This also treats bee stings as well.
From ancient time, tobacco is been used for numerous medicinal purposes. Like, it is used as a sedative, expectorant, diuretic, and a discutient when applied topically.
- Take a cigarette and remove the tobacco from inside.
- Or you can buy a pouch of tobacco (used mainly for medicinal purposes).
- Wet some tobacco powder to make a paste.
- Apply this damp tobacco on your affected skin gently.
- Keep it for 15 minutes.
- Or you can cover up the place with a bandage.
- Wash off, or remove the bandage after few hours, and follow the application as required.
Onion is antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in nature (2), which disinfects the affected skin, reduces inflammation, and also helps to prevent infection.
If your sting does not have allergic reactions, and it’s in initial stage, then you can definitely choose this ancient home remedy.
- Take a small onion, peel, and cut a thin slice.
- Rub this sliced onion on a sting for few seconds, to let juice go inside the skin.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes, and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- You can repeat this method 2-3 times a day.
Both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar work a lot when stung by a yellow jacket wasp. It is a powerful remedy for insect bites and stings.
The acetic acid found in vinegar contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help to decrease swelling and inflammation. Plus, it helps to neutralize the acid in the venom to get rid of pain and itching.
- Take some raw, unfiltered apple cider or white vinegar.
- Dip a cotton swab, and apply it to the affected skin.
- Let it settle for 5 to 10 minutes, then wash off with tepid water.
- Instead, you can take 1 tbsp of white or apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it with some commercial meat tenderizer.
- Apply this paste on your affected area.
- Wash off after 30 minutes with warm water.
- Repeat when necessary.
8. Plantain Leaves
Plantain leaves are highly recommended, when you get stung by a yellow jacket with no medical or doctor treatment available.
This astringent herb helps in providing quick relief from itching, redness, burning, inflammation, and pain. Plus it draws out the venom of a yellow jacket sting along with embedded objects like splinter, or gravel.
- Take some plantain leaves, and wash them thoroughly.
- Just chew some washed leaves to get the juice.
- Or if you don’t want to chew, then you can extract its juice.
- Apply this juice to the sting, and it will soothe your skin.
- Its juice is so effective that it can even heal a skin rash, burn, or a minor wound.
- Keep it for 30 minutes, and then rinse it with tepid water.
- Alternatively, you can apply OTC plantain ointment on sting 2-3 times a day for a quick recovery.
Aspirin, a medicine used to treat headache is also recommended to treat yellow jacket stings. It neutralizes the venom, and speeds up the healing process. Plus, it contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate pain and inflammation.
- Take 2 or 3 regular aspirins and crush them finely.
- Mix with enough water to make a thin paste.
- Apply it on the stung area, and let it dry on its own.
- Then, rinse it with tepid water.
- Repeat the method, if you do not find relief after the first application.
10. Epsom Salt Paste
Epsom salt comprise of magnesium sulfate, which exhibits natural exfoliator and anti-inflammatory effects.
These properties of Epsom salt makes it a wonderful remedy to treat yellow jacket sting. Plus, it is also used to heal sore and aching muscles, dehydrated skin, and minor wounds.
- Take 1 tsp of Epsom salt, and mix it with water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your affected skin.
- Keep it for 20 minutes, and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat when necessary.
Mud is another effective yellow jacket wasp remedy with which nature has blessed us. It aids in alleviating the pain related with the sting. But, it is always better to sterilize the mud in a microwave before applying it.
- Collect some mud, and add some water to make a thick paste.
- Stir well, and put this paste on your sting.
- Keep it for 10-20 minutes, and then wash off with cold water.
- Allow it to dry.
- Mud can be applied directly to the sting if you are in the field, or unprepared.
12. Homemade Antibacterial Ointment
This solution is made of Shea butter and essential oils. It is effective in preventing antibacterial infection, which may prolong the healing, and cause fever if left untreated.
- Take ¼ cup of shea butter, and melt in a double boiler.
- Add 4 drops each of tea tree oil, rosemary, and geranium oil into.
- Stir it, and refrigerate the ointment for 2 hours to settle.
- Apply this ointment over your affected skin 2-3 times a day.
13. White Toothpaste
If stung by a yellow jacket, you can apply some white toothpaste on your sting which you use for brushing your teeth.
White toothpaste quickly neutralizes the acidic venom, which in turn comforts from pain and swelling.
Note: Do not use gel based or colored toothpaste.
Keep yourself and your family from the danger of yellow jacket wasp. Here’re some protective measures:
- If you’re stung by a yellow jacket, promptly move to a more secure region to avoid more stings.
- Try not to stroll around shoeless outside.
- When a yellow jacket sits on you, endeavor to try to avoid panicking and expel it deliberately or simply sit tight for it to take off. Abstain from pulling, shaking, or pushing as it will just make the wasp worse.
- You might be enticed to crush a yellow jacket to avoid sting, however abstain from doing this. Whenever smashed, these creepy crawlies discharge a pheromone that signs other yellow jackets close-by to attack.
- Quickly apply chemical based meat tenderizer blended with some water so as to kill the venom.
- Always keep your food and beverages covered, as these bugs are frequently attracted to the sweet smell.
- Keep your trash can always covered.
- Some people are allergic to yellow jacket stings, therefore it is best to keep an Epi-Pen handy in your bag. But, use only when necessary or it is better to check with a doctor when to use this powerful drug.
- Try not to scratch the bothersome sting site, as it might bring microscopic organisms into the skin, and can lead to infection.
In case, you get stung by a yellow jacket, quickly clean the affected area, and treat it with either OTC remedies or home remedies for yellow jacket stings.
If you are oversensitive to yellow jackets and get stung, look for medicinal help quickly.