Our bodies go through different changes and sometimes it can be alarming. Ridges on fingernails are one such change that takes place and people usually enquire doctors about.
But have you ever thought what causes these lines in fingernails? Is it a sign of any underlying condition? How will it go or will it ever go?
These questions are bound to come to those who are suffering with vertical ridges on nails, or it could be horizontal ridges on nails. If you are the one, this issue might be haunting you.
Do not be anxious about your vertical lines on nails because in this article, we will thoroughly bring you the causes of getting vertical ridges on fingernails, and how to prevent and cure them.
How to get rid of ridges in nails? Here you will find all natural way to treat them simply with the ingredients you have in your home.
Many people spend most of their time looking at their fingernails. Nail ridges are mainly related with the natural process of aging.
Changes in the look of your nails, like mounting ridges on your fingernails can tell a lot about your well-being.
Ridges in nails may not be a severe problem, but it could point out an underlying ailment. They develop vertical or horizontal ridges and so called as vertical fingernail ridges or horizontal fingernail ridges.
There are different causes for both kinds of ridges developing on nails.
Let’s find out the causes of ridges in your nails below;
Table of Contents
- Causes of Vertical Fingernail Ridges
- Causes of Horizontal Fingernail Ridges
- Treatment to Get Rid of Ridges on Fingernails
- Home Remedies to Treat Ridges in Nails
Causes of Vertical Fingernail Ridges
Presence of tiny raised lines or ridges which go up and down the length of the fingernail are known as vertical fingernail ridges. Vertical lines are also referred as ‘Benign line’. Some of the common conditions related with vertical fingernails include:
- Aging: One of the major causes for getting ridges on nail is aging. Researchers say that as you get older ridges on fingernails are more visible.
- Malnutrition and Malabsorption: Poor diet lacking vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, calcium, and zinc are the main cause of ridges on fingernails. Sometimes, nutrients in diets are not absorbed properly.
- Chemicals: Nail polish remover contains acetone, a harsh chemical which can cause ridges on fingernails.
- Disease: Certain skin diseases like psoriasis or lungs and kidney diseases, can cause ridges to develop in nails.
- Dryness: Dryness is caused by lack of moisture. Cuticles and fingernails bed gets dry which causes lines on nails. Dry air and people involve in manual work or frequent use of drying agents makes nail dry faster.
- Injuries: Ridges can be caused due to cuts, bruises, or accidents. In this case, the fingernail generally gets cure by itself. Check with physician if you need any medication to prevent infection or injury is not getting healed.
- Heredity: If family has a history of ridges on nails, then unlikely it can pass to next generation.
Causes of Horizontal Fingernail Ridges
Horizontal lines which run across the fingernail are known as Horizontal fingernail. Often it is known as beau’s line fingernails. It is a rare condition; people often get vertical lines on nails but few people do get horizontal ridges on fingernails. Some of the causes are:
- Lack of Production of Nails Cell: When nail cells stop growing for few days and grows later then horizontal lines continues to grow along it.
- Vitamin Deficiency: One of the common causes is lack of vitamins in the body. It is very important to include iron, zinc and other vitamins to your diet.
- Chemicals: Nail polish removers or pads contains chemical which cause to form lines on the nails. Exposure of certain chemical in factory or dish soap can cause allergy which can develop ridges on fingernails.
- Sickness: Certain illness like Chemotherapy can also cause horizontal ridges on nails.+
Treatment to Get Rid of Ridges on Fingernails
There are ample ways to treat ridges on nails, be it for fingers or toe. How to get rid of ridges in fingernail?
Natural way is always the best way to get rid of ridges as its easy, safe, reliable, and pocket friendly. Let’s find out some home-based remedies to cure ridges in nails.
Home Remedies to Treat Ridges in Nails
Coconut oil is one of the oil which has so many healing properties that it has been widely used to treat various skin ailments.
In this oil, antifungal properties are found in abundance which makes a perfect remedy to cure any type of nail infection. Effective Ways to Use Coconut Oil For Nail Fungus
- Take few drops of coconut oil and apply it on the fingernail where ridges are evident.
- Leave it, and it will get absorbed in no time.
- Apply this oil 3 times a day for few weeks.
- It provides moisture to the fingernail, and prevents drying of the nail which causes ridges on nails.
- It also helps to cure nail infections caused by fungus.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon is loaded with plenty of antibacterial and antifungal properties (1), which help to treat bacterial and fungal infections of the nail and ridges too.
- In a bowl, take 1-2 tsp of fresh lemon juice, and add pinch of iodine.
- Stir well, and apply this mixture on your fingernail 3 times a day.
- Continue this method for few weeks till lines on your nail fades away.
- It is an effective remedy to get rid of vertical ridges.
3. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is commonly used to cure various skin problems like acne, psoriasis, sunburn, and eczema.
It also provides quick recovery from cuts, burns and other injury as it increases the development of scar tissues.
Sometimes Psoriasis or injury is the reason behind getting ridges on nails. Anti-fungal agent present in lavender oil helps to treat ridges effectively (2).
- Apply some lavender oil directly to the fingernail.
- Leave it for some hours, and then rinse off.
- The best way is to apply in the night daily.
- This oil forms a defensive layer over your nails which guard your nails against moisture, thus avoiding infection and healing ridges naturally.
- It also strengthens the nails and the cuticles.
Yogurt is very effective in treating infection, and other issues as it contains ‘Lactobacillus acidophilus’ a good bacteria. When applied it gives a soothing relief and heal nail ridges.
- Apply some yogurt on your affected fingernails.
- Keep it for 15-20 minutes, and allow it to dry properly.
- Then, wash your hands with warm water.
- Use this remedy 2 times a day, to get rid of nail ridges quickly.
- Eat yogurt daily, as it prevents infection.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is been extensively used in recent times due its supreme benefits for skin and health. It is not just useful in curing ridges on nails, but treats variety of other skin diseases and infections in the body.
Tea tree oil will help to get rid of yellow nails as it is enriched with antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties.
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and apply it on your fingernails.
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then rinse off.
- Apply it 2 times a day for few weeks.
- It is very effective in preventing the activities of fungus.
Another most powerful antifungal element is the garlic. It has record of more than 50 proven health benefits for skin and health.
People in Asian countries use garlic daily in cooking. Garlic is pretty good for treating ridges in fingernails. Raw garlic is very helpful for those who are suffering from hang nails as well.
- Take few pods of garlic and crush it finely.
- Apply it on your nails with ridges.
- You can also mix coconut oil or olive oil in this crushed garlic, and apply as directed.
- Leave it on your affected area for over 20-30 minutes, and then wash off with water and soap.
- Repeat this daily 2 times a day to get rid of lines on your nails.
Biotin is a water soluble B vitamin. Research states that biotin help in curing weak brittle nails (3). It also removes ridges from the nails.
- Take 2.5 mg of biotin supplements daily.
- Supplements are easily available in the market.
- You can also add biotin in your diet by consuming foods rich in biotin.
Biotin rich foods include: Brown rice, cheese, egg yolks, walnuts, almonds, oats, lentils, soybeans, sunflower seeds, green leafy vegetables, onion, tomatoes, and sweet potato.
8. Broccoli Seed Oil
This oil is prepared from young broccoli sprouts which are full of vital fatty acids. It is great for skin, hair, and health. Also, helps in providing healthy nails and cuticles naturally.
- Take less than a drop of broccoli seed oil for each fingernail.
- Massage your nail bed and cuticle with this oil.
- Applying this oil in the night before going to bed is a good habit, as it helps to moisturize your nails and cuticles by morning.
- You can also use argan oil for the same. It is also effective in clearing out the lines from fingernails.
9. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are very important for our health. It has antioxidant properties which eliminates free radicals from the body. Consume foods which are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Source of omega-3 fatty acids: Fishes like Salmon, Sardines, and Mackerel, Walnuts, Soybean, Canola oil, Chia seeds, and Flaxseeds.
Including an omega rich food in your diet not only gives you a healthy nail, but also plays a pivotal role in suitable functioning of the body.
10. Nutritional Diet and Water
A balanced diet is very essential for having a healthy mind, body, and soul. Your diet should contain all the nutrients like proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, iron, calcium, and good fats.
Malnutrition and malabsorption is the main reason for having ridges in nails. So, to avoid that one must possess a healthy diet.
Water is another most important substance for our nourishment. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and dryness in the body. Sufficient amount of water is required for a body to function properly.
Ways to Reduce Fingernails Ridges
- Use a buffing block to buff your nails gently to reduce the ridges.
- Do not try to remove the ridges completely by buffing, as it will make your nails weak.
- Filing is another way to keep nails healthy. But one must take caution while doing this, as filing too much will damage your nails and make it thin, which can cause an infection.
- Eat a well-balanced diet, and avoid junk foods for having healthy nails.
- Drink lots of water and other fluids like juices, smoothies, or shakes for hydration.
- Develop good nail habits and take care of your nails properly, as poor nail habits will damage your nails. Cut and trim your nails regularly.
- Cut your nails after taking a bath, as that time nails are soft and it’s easy to cut it without breaking it.
- Use hand moisturizer often, especially, after washing hands to moisturize your nail.
- If you are doing labor work then, it is better to put on gloves to avoid irritants touching your skin.
- Apply vitamin E, or jojoba oil daily to lubricate your nails.
- Use hand cream daily before going to bed, and massage your hands and nails properly, which prevents dryness of the nail.
- Use good nail products only. Avoid applying cheap nail polishes or remover. Go for recommended brands which are safe.
- Take time to do manicure at home. Use nail tools gently while doing it. Or visit a salon frequently to get a manicure and pedicure done for you.
By following these home remedies and preventive ways to reduce nail ridges, you will definitely notice a change in your nails. Soon, your lines will get to fade away.
If your nail has developed a serious infection, then it is always best to consult a Physician and take proper medications to heal.