Yeast infections can be itchy and highly uncomfortable. While they can affect any part of the body, the vaginal area is the most affected area among females. Most of the times, they are hard to treat.
Yeast infections can occur on skin, vagina, mouth, and intestine. There are over the counter (OTC) prescription creams and ointments available to treat yeast infections. But a large number of women prefer following natural ways to treat this problem. It is because natural methods are much safer to use and free from side-effects.
One of the best natural ways to treat yeast infections is Coconut Oil which is fatty oil obtained from the coconut fruit. It is one of the healthiest oils containing numerous benefits. Besides treating yeast infections, it can regularize hormones in the body and aid digestion.
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection – Is it Effective?
Coconut oil is one of the reliable options for curing yeast infections naturally. This oil can even prevent the infection from proliferating. Coconut oil is great to boost or strengthen the overall immune system and for the healing process of the body.
The other reasons that support coconut oil as a good option to treat yeast infection are:
- Coconut oil contains three ingredients – caprylic acid, capric acid, and lauric acid. These compounds present high antiviral, anti-bacterial, and antifungal properties. As a result, they target and kill bad bacteria that cause yeast infection.
- Researchers in laboratories confirm about effectiveness of caprylic acid present in coconut oil. It targets and breaks the cell wall of the yeast. As a result, they control yeast growth and also inhibit their reoccurrence.
- Coconut oil in its organic form is rich in lauric acid. This nutrient is great to strengthen and support the immune system of the body. This provides the body with power and strength to function against the infections caused by yeast.
- This oil is also an excellent antioxidant. It is effective in killing the yeast causing infection as well as to combat other fungal occurrences within the body. Coconut oil also supports the retention of minerals and vitamins in the body.
- Last but not the least, coconut oil is safe to consume. Adding a small portion of this oil in the diet ensures that the body receives the desired amount of energy. It is because it has unrefined fats that can be conveniently transformed into energy.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections?
Coconut oil can be used for yeast infections in both topical and oral form. You can add coconut oil to your diet as a replacement for cooking oil.
Besides this, coconut oil can be applied directly to the infected areas. Considering the vaginal yeast infection to be the most common form, this oil is great to treat it. Coconut oil can be applied on the area or can be used in the tampon form to avail fast and effective results.
Some individuals prefer using the pure coconut oil suppository. This is prepared by pouring two tablespoons of coconut oil into a silicon-based mold. After this, the mold can be refrigerated for around 20 minutes. It can be then inserted into the vagina. When the suppository is dissolved, it leads to promising results.
Another way to use coconut oil is to use it as bathing oil. This is also a highly effective method to treat yeast infections. You can prepare the water for a bath. Then add two teaspoons of coconut oil into the water. Let the oil get soaked for 15 minutes. Taking bath with this water once a day will wipe away the infection in a week.
For yeast infections occurring on the skin, coconut oil can be an effective solution. The oil can be mixed with carrier oils, like oregano oils, olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon oil, or garlic oil. These types of oil work as an effective antibacterial and astringent element. Most of these oils are potent. However, coconut oil is the safest to use.
If this oil is involved in the cooking then you will get the antibacterial and antifungal goodness from within. Replacing olive oil or coconut oil with canola oil is one of the best ways to stay away from yeast infections. You can even add this oil in your morning oatmeal to enhance the anti-fungal defense of your body.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection
There can be different types of yeast infections that one may experience. The usage of coconut oil may differ depending on the area infected. Using these remedies will help combat yeast infection completely.
Using Coconut Oil for treating Vaginal Yeast Infection
As per researches, almost 75% of women experience a vaginal yeast infection a minimum of once in their life. This infection is accompanied by symptoms like swelling of the vulva, redness, burning sensation, itchiness, thick discharge, and more.
Coconut oil can be used in different ways to treat vaginal yeast infection.
1. Topical Application of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains high anti-bacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. It is great to treat the infection. Also, it enhances the overall healing process to a great extent. As a result, even a simple application of this oil can work effectively against vaginal infection.
- Rinse the affected area with lukewarm water and pH balanced vaginal cleanser.
- Vagina is a sensitive area. Hence, avoid using any harsh, chemical-based soap over it.
- Apply a layer of coconut oil on the affected region.
- Do this process thrice or twice a day till the yeast infection is cured
It is one of the safest methods to treat vaginal infection. Topical application of coconut oil provides instant relief from the symptoms of infection. It will not cause any side effect to the skin and the sensitive part of the vagina.
2. Tampon of Coconut Oil
If you are experiencing a severe yeast infection in the vaginal area then this is the best solution to go for. Using coconut oil tampon will ensure a direct contact of the oil to the vagina walls. It will offer immediate relief and heal the infection at a faster pace.
- Take an unbleached tampon.
- Soak it in the coconut oil for around ten minutes.
- Now refrigerate the tampon till it gets hard.
- Insert the tampon carefully into the affected region.
- It would be best if you practice this remedy in the night. Keep the tampon overnight to avail the best results.
- In the morning rinse off that area with lukewarm water and let it dry.
- Repeat this same process for a few nights till you get complete relief from the problem.
This method is one of the effective ways to treat yeast infection. It is because it offers direct contact of coconut oil to the infected area. As a result, the healing process is effective and heals the infection at a much faster pace.
3. Suppositories of Coconut Oil
This is another highly effective process to treat the infected area. Inserting suppositories of the coconut oil into the infected area can alleviate the problem to a great extent. At the same time, it will alleviate the symptoms in just a few applications.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the oil and melt it.
- Add few drops of lavender oil as well as melaleuca essential oil into the melted coconut oil. You may also use any other type of essential oil to add to the mixture.
- Stir the mixture and pour it into the silicon mold. This will ensure that the mold takes a proper shape.
- Refrigerate the suppository to solidify it for at least 20 minutes.
- Now, take out the suppositories from the mold and store them in a suitable container. If you wish, you can break the suppository in an adequate size and form.
- Now take one suppository of the coconut oil and place it gently inside the vagina. Leave it for the entire night. The oil will melt down completely as soon as it will come in contact with the body. If you want, wear a pad to avoid experiencing any mess.
- Repeat this process a couple of times till you get complete relief from the yeast infection.
It is an effective process that can combat yeast infection to a great extent. This method can offer great results with very less application. It is an excellent method that can cure the yeast infection to the fullest. If you have sensitive skin then this is the safest method to get rid of this problem.
4. Douche of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil douching is the amazing method to get rid of the yeast infection on an immediate basis. During the process, the solution of coconut oil is sprayed straight away into the vaginal area. This helps to reduce itching, discharge, and other symptoms of the yeast infection.
- Take 2 parts of the distilled water. Make sure that the water is warm, but enough that it does not lead to skin irritation and problem.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the coconut oil into the warm distilled water.
- Douche the area with this solution.
- Make sure you repeat the process completely till the infection gets cleared completely.
Douching using coconut oil is an excellent way to get rid of yeast infection completely. This method can reap results even when the infection is severe. Also, it is easy to apply and speeds up the healing process.
5. Taking Bath with the Coconut Oil
This is an effective process that can be used with other processes. It offers instant relief from the itching and irritation. It is a simple method and can result in great results without leading to any side effects or complications.
- Add some drops of this oil into a tub filled with warm water.
- Let the oil mix with water. For this allow the oil to settle in the water for at least 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take bath in the water.
- Soak yourself in the water for some time. Pat the area dry completely.
- Repeat this step till you get rid of yeast infection.
It is the simplest and easiest way to get rid of the yeast infection in a short time-frame. You can bath with the water and coconut oil mix to avail great results. Also, it will nourish your skin and make it soft and smooth.
Using Coconut Oil to Treat Skin Yeast Infections
Swelling, itching, redness, and irritation of the skin are some of the common symptoms of skin yeast infection. Application of coconut oil is great to treat the affected areas and to reduce the growth of the yeast.
These remedies can offer relief to yeast infections that may occur in various skin areas of the body. By regularly following this treatment you will witness great improvement and avail effective results.
1. Coconut Oil and Cinnamon Oil Mixture
This is a highly effective remedy that can control the growth of yeast to great extent. It is a safe remedy that can eradicate the symptoms completely. At the same time, it can prevent further occurrence of yeast infections.
- Take equal amount of cinnamon oil and coconut oil.
- Mix both the oil well so that you avail a smooth mixture.
- Apply this mix on the infected areas.
- Let the mixture dry completely.
- Make sure you repeat the process on a regular basis.
- This will help you avail the desired results within the shortest time frame.
This is a safe remedy that offers benefits of coconut oil as well as cinnamon oil. Cinnamon oil is quite strong. Hence, it is better that you always do a patch test before you adopt this remedy to treat the yeast infection. Alternatively, you can apply this oil on the infected area on alternate days. This will heal the infection and will not result in any side effect.
2. Coconut Oil with Vitamin E and Garlic Oil
The mixture of coconut oil with vitamin E oil along with garlic oil forms a rich antifungal and antibacterial mixture. This method is great to treat the infection caused by yeast. At the same time, Vitamin E oil moisturizes the skin well and boosts the production of new skin cells.
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add one tablespoon oil of Vitamin E to it.
- Add one tablespoon of Garlic oil to it.
- Mix the oil well and then apply it on the infected regions.
- Allow the skin to absorb the oil completely.
- Apply this oil on the infected areas for two times a day.
- Soon you will avail noticeable results.
Coconut oil is great to treat the yeast infection. Garlic oil possesses high anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Hence, it boosts the healing process as well as effectively treats the problem. Vitamin E oil offers deep nourishment to the skin. It ensures that your skin stays well hydrated and does not experience any dryness.
3. Oil of Oregano and Coconut Oil
Another mix of oil to treat yeast infection is to mix oregano oil with coconut oil. While coconut oil is great to treat the yeast infection, oregano oil is also excellent to curb the problem. Oregano oil is rich in anti-candidal properties that are supportive to kill the yeast infection.
- Take equal parts of oregano oil and coconut oil depending on the area infected with yeast.
- Apply the mix to the infected regions.
- Allow the oil to be absorbed completely and allow to dry properly.
- Repeat the application twice daily in the morning and night to get maximum relief from the yeast infection.
Oregano oil is an active ingredient against candida, which is supportive in the growth of yeast infection. A combination of both these oils creates an excellent emulsifier to treat the yeast infection. Also, it is a safe process that can result in great results in short time frame.
Using Coconut Oil to Combat the Oral Thrush
If there is the excessive growth of yeast within the oral region then this results in the problem of oral thrush. This infection can occur on the gums, tongue, palate, and inner cheeks.
The problem of oral thrush can combine with various severe symptoms. Swelling of the mouth, pain, formation of gum bleeding and cottage cheese tone are the common symptoms of this problem. The oral thrush ailment can be treated well with coconut oil.
- Take two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Make sure that the oil is at warm temperature so that it can be used in the mouth.
- Take the oil and swish it in the mouth for 10 seconds.
- Now spit out the oil.
- Make sure that you don’t eat or drink anything for half hour.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis till you avail complete freedom from the infection.
This method is the best way to treat oral thrush the natural way. It will not result in any side effect. Also, if you consume coconut oil by mistake then also you will not experience any problem or side effect. This method will ensure that the infection is removed completely.
Using Coconut Oil for Intestinal Yeast Infections
A digestive trouble within the system will lead to excessive growth of the candida in the region of gastrointestinal tract. It results in problems such as regular burping; diarrhea, stomach cramps, and constipation etc.
Coconut oil can be used in order to treat the yeast infection within the intestine. Within this system, lemon juice will be mixed with the results obtained for boosting the results availed through this mix.
1. Coconut Oil Mixed with Juice of Lemon
This mixture is ideal to treat the yeast infection to the fullest.
- Take one glass of fresh lemon juice and add a little quantity of coconut oil into it.
- Now drink this mixture every morning on an empty stomach.
- Repeat the process till you obtain complete relief from the problem. Soon you will avail noticeable results.
Coconut oil, as well as lemon juices, are active ingredients. They both help to fight the yeast infection. Lemon juice provides great relief to the infection. Also, it boosts the healing process to a great extent.
2. Enema of Coconut Oil
Another way to use coconut oil to cure candida is to prepare a coconut oil enema. This method is safe as it does not lead to any side effects to the infection. Also, it contains effective weight losing as well as cholesterol regulating properties.
- Take 7 ounces of fresh coconut oil and 1.5 quarts of water.
- Let the mixture get warm to a temperature of 105 Fahrenheit.
- Pour this solution into a clean and sterilized enema pump.
- Pump the solution through the anus. If required then you may take help of the qualified experts.
- Repeat the process till you avail adequate results.
It is a safe and effective treatment to get rid of yeast infection.
Coconut Oil Yeast Infection Treatment during Pregnancy
If you are pregnant and have met with a yeast infection then don’t worry. This is a very common problem. But you can combat it with use of coconut oil. It is because using coconut oil during pregnancy is absolutely safe.
During pregnancy, yeast infection may occur in skin fold areas that are warm, moist and are not receiving proper hygiene. You can apply coconut oil to the affected areas generously. You can apply the coconut oil 2 -3 times a day, specifically when you have taken a bath. Besides healing the problem, coconut oil will prevent chafing, irritation, and prevent the problem from worsening.
Coconut oil for yeast infection is an excellent way to curb the problem. It gives instant results as soon as the oil is applied to the affected area. Even if you have no infection at all, you can still apply coconut oil in order to get a smooth, soft, and clear skin free from all problems and infections.