If you are struggling to breathe and feels tightening in your chest then, probably you are suffering from chest congestion.
Not to worry, though this condition is agonizing, but not fatal, and can be easily treated with some of the home remedies for chest congestion.
An infection in the respiratory system is known as chest congestion, which is the inflammation caused in the lower respiratory tract.
When excess mucus gets build up in lungs, it causes congestion, and makes it difficult to breathe.
When we breathe in air, we breathe in a considerable measure of particles like irritants particles, dirt, viruses, and microorganisms and so on.
These particles get stuck in bodily fluid, and travel to the throat from where they are gulped or hacked out. Sometimes they get collected in lungs, which result in congestion.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies for Chest Congestion
Causes for Chest Congestion
Viruses and bacteria are the main cause for chest congestion which gets collected in mucus membrane. There are some other reasons as well for chest congestion. Few of them are listed below;
- Common cold and flu
- Persistent cough
- Heart-related issues
- Post-nasal drip
- Inhalation of toxic gases
- Infections in respiratory system
- Diseases like bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, pulmonary edema, croup, GERD, or other lungs diseases.
Symptoms of Chest Congestion
Congested chest is itself a symptom of this disease. Other signs of chest congestion are;
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- Body pain, or headache
- Tightness in chest
- Post nasal drip
- Sore Throat
- Green or yellow mucus while coughing
- Blood in a cough (in extreme cases, and requires a medical attention)
These symptoms can be treated by trying some of the natural remedies for chest congestion. You will notice a relief within few days of trying these home cures.
In case, you don’t find relief and your problem persists for more than 2 weeks, then it is better to consult with a specialist.
Home Remedies for Chest Congestion
Steam inhalation is one of the great chest congestion remedies. Inhaling steam can make your respiratory tract to become moisten which helps mucus to loosen up and dissolve.
- Fill a large vessel with water and boil well.
- Add few drops of peppermint oil, or eucalyptus essential oil.
- Take a big towel or a cloth sheet to cover your head.
- Take the steam from the vessel for around 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2 to 4 times a day.
- Or you can also take a hot shower, and inhale the steam vapors for 5-10 minutes.
Note: Patients with high B.P, pregnant women, and young children should not try this remedy, as it may not be safe for them.
Onion provides a quick relief from chest congestion and throat pain. It contains anti-inflammatory properties which helps to reduce inflammation, and expels mucous easily from your body.
- Take 1 small onion, and extract its juice.
- Add 1 tsp each of lime juice, and water, and ½ tsp honey.
- Mix well and slightly heat this solution.
- Drink this mixture 3 times a day.
- Cut a slice of onion, and soak it in honey.
- Let it infused overnight, or for at least 8 hrs.
- Next morning, take out the onion.
- Consume just the honey 4 times a day.
Eat slices of raw onion, or add some in your salad.
Turmeric is a famous spice with many health benefits. It contains anti-inflammatory, and pain reliving properties that are not only good for treating chest congestion, but also cure its symptoms like cold, cough, throat and body pain. Plus, it helps to increase immunity levels.
- In a glass of warm water, add pinch of turmeric powder.
- Use this solution, to gargle 3 times a day.
- Repeat this for few days, and soon your mucus will began to loosen up.
- Take 1 glass of milk, and add ½ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Boil this milk, and further add a pinch of black pepper powder, and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Stir well, and drink this milk hot 2 times a day.
- Take 1 tsp of turmeric powder, and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix them well, and drink it 2 times a day.
Follow any one of these remedies until the symptoms of chest congestion withers.
Note: People suffering with acidity, stomach ulcers or stomach related problems should avoid using turmeric.
Another home remedy for chest congestion is radish. This healthy hydrating vegetable works as an expectorant.
It contains vitamin C which helps to boost immunity, and prevents chest congestion at first place.
Radish is anti-inflammatory in nature (1), which aids in decreasing cough, pain and any other discomfort due to congested chest, and hastens the healing process.
- Take 1 radish and peel off the skin.
- Cut it into slices, and squeeze some lemon juice on it.
- You can sprinkle some salt also.
- Eat this daily as a salad or in between the meals for few days.
5. Essential Oils
Essential oils like peppermint oil, eucalyptus, and tea tree oil possess similar properties, and are beneficial in reliving chest congestion.
These effects include mucus expelling, antimicrobial against the viruses causing the congestion anti-inflammatory for the irritated respiratory passages, and bronchial tubes.
- Take 2-3 drops of any essential oil of your choice.
- Mix it with 1 tbsp of any carrier oil, like olive oil, castor oil, or coconut oil.
- Apply this blend on your chest, forehead, back, neck, and sinuses area.
- Keep it for few hours.
- Follow this remedy daily before going to bed.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
It is not difficult to find a bottle of apple cider vinegar in your kitchen. ACV is not just used for culinary purposes, but is very effective in treating diseases like asthma, migraines, allergies, and respiratory infections.
ACV is disinfectant in nature, which fights against the infection in lungs by thinning the mucus, and helping you to breathe without difficulty, thus relieves from chest congestion.
- Take 2 tsp of organic raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, and 1 tsp of pure honey.
- Mix them in a glass of water.
- Have this solution 2 or 3 times a day for a week, and find relief from chest tightness.
Another exceptionally powerful home remedy for relieving chest congestion is garlic. Its antimicrobial and mitigating properties help battle respiratory diseases that reason tightness.
In addition, it is loaded with nutrients like vitamins A, B and C and also calcium, iron, copper and selenium which keeps you healthy and that itself prevents sickness. Milk and Garlic also very useful in pneumonia treatment.
- Take 2 to 3 peeled garlic cloves, and crush them.
- Boil 1 cup of water or milk, and add these crushed garlic.
- Also, add ½ tsp of honey, and mix it.
- Strain it, and drink it hot 2 times a day till congestion go away.
- Another alternative is to take 2 crushed garlic cloves.
- Extract juice from 3 lemons, and add both in 1 glass of hot water.
- Next, add a pinch of salt, and ½ tsp of crushed black pepper.
- Drink it hot 2 times a day for a couple of days.
Chewing some garlic cloves daily can likewise help soothe congestion.
Thyme acts as an expectorant, and has antimicrobial agent which is regularly used to treat respiratory conditions, like bronchitis and chest congestion (2).
Studies show that herbal combination of thyme and primrose helps to soothe your airways, and promote healthy lungs.
Process: Herbal Tea
- Take 1 tsp each of dried thyme and evening primrose.
- Steep in 1 cup of hot water for about 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and drink this herbal tea 2-3 times a day.
- Continue this remedy for a week to get rid from chest congestion.
Honey is popular and one of the effective chest congestion home remedies. It is antimicrobial and antibacterial in nature, which treats respiratory tract infection, soothes sore throat and reduce coughing.
- Take 1 tbsp each of organic unfiltered honey and lemon juice.
- Mix it in 1 glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution 2 times a day for few days.
- This remedy will comfort you from all the cold symptoms.
10. Licorice Tea
Another natural remedy which is excellent in treating chest congestion is Licorice tea. Due to its antibacterial and antifungal nature, it combats infections and irritants in your respiratory tract, thus expel mucus and provide relief from cough and pain.
Additionally, Licorice is very effective in treating seasonal allergies, post nasal drip and stomach related problems like GERD, which causes chest congestion.
- Boil 1 cup of water, and add ½ tsp of licorice root powder.
- Mix well, and steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the tea, and add 1 tsp of honey.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day to cure chest congestion, and its symptoms.
11. Mustard Compress
Mustard is known for its therapeutic uses (3), it works as a decongestant and expectorant.
It helps to stimulate circulation and increases sweat, causing the airways to get cleared, and provide relief from sinus and congestion.
- Take ¼ cup of mustard powder and 1 cup of flour.
- Add water and mix to get a smooth paste.
- First, apply olive or coconut oil on your chest.
- Secondly, dip a cloth in hot water, remove excess water, and place it on your chest.
- Then, over this cloth, spread a thin layer of this paste.
- Take another squeezed wet cloth, and cover over the paste.
- Leave this for 15 -20 minutes.
- Then, remove the cloth and clean your chest with water.
- Repeat this every alternate day, or as required.
Caution: If you find any discomfort, irritation, or burning sensation, then take out the compress immediately.
12. Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt is another wonderful home solution for chest congestion. This salt can be utilized to treat different medical problems.
Salt removes the toxins from your body, and warmth produced helps to decongest the mucus. Plus, it relaxes your body muscles, and alleviates body pain.
- Take 1-2 cups of Epsom salt, and dissolve it in hot water tub.
- Immerse yourself for 20 minutes, and then rinse with plain water.
- Do it 2-3 times each day, to reduce pain and congestion.
13. Ginger Tea
It is widely known herb from ages, and used to treat most of the respiratory and heart diseases, along with other sickness.
Ginger is a storehouse of many important nutrients, and works as a potent antioxidants and anti-inflammation. It helps to thin the fluid, and cures breathing difficulty due to congestion.
- Take some clean freshly grated ginger.
- Place it in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain, and add 1 tsp of honey.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day for few days.
Further Tips for Relieving Chest Congestion
These tips below will help you to prevent mucus build up;
- Stay away from allergens and aggravations, for example, synthetic chemicals, pet, pollution, and dirt.
- Stop smoking and stay away from people who smoke.
- Drink plenty of fluids and water, as it will help you to keep hydrated.
- Wash the hands regularly to ensure against infections. Keep away from physical contact with individuals who have been contaminated.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, carbonated and caffeinated drinks.
- Have chicken or mutton soup, as it soothes the inflamed tubes and diminish mucus.
- Drink green tea, black coffee or any herbal tea regularly.
- Have an adequate amount of sleep. Lack of sleep decreases your immunity.
- Use humidifier at night. Usually, in the evening symptoms of cold increases, so humidifier will help to avoid nose blockage and congestion.
- Take supplements that can ease colds and decrease blockage, including vitamin C, probiotics, and zinc.
Follow these natural remedies to cure your chest congestion and its symptoms. If, you don’t find relief or your condition persists accompanied by chills, high fever, body pain and vomiting, then consult a doctor immediately.