Psoriasis might be a common skin condition but is an extremely chronic skin condition. It is an auto immune disorder which can be quite difficult to treat as it causes rapid build up of skin cells.
Normally the skin cells takes about 21 to 28 days to replace but in psoriasis disease the immune system triggers the skin cells to regenerate at a much faster rate.
Psoriasis is although a non-contagious skin disease but it can be difficult skin condition to treat easily.
This skin disease can occur in any part of body such as knees, elbows, scalp, knuckles, and lower back as well.
Table of Contents
- Effective Home Remedies for Psoriasis :
- 1. Aloe Vera for Psoriasis Treatment
- 2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis Remedy
- 3. Coconut Oil for Psoriasis Remedy
- 4. Honey for Psoriasis Remedy
- 5. Olive Oil for Psoriasis Remedy
- 6. Tea Tree Oil for Psoriasis Remedy
- 7. Turmeric for Psoriasis Remedy
- Important & Helpful Dos and Don’ts of Psoriasis:
- Watch Effective Home Remedies for Psoriasis Treatment
Some of the symptoms to identify Psoriasis are:
- Pain and stiffness in Joints
- Skin Rashes
- Bumps on Skin
- Stinging Sensation
- Skin Peeling
- Itching or Burning Sensation
There are many medical remedies which claim to provide temporary relief from the symptoms of psoriasis. But the symptoms continue to persist after sometime.
For this home remedies for psoriasis works more effectively to heal and provide relief from the symptoms.
Now that we have gained some basic knowledge about what is psoriasis and what are the different symptoms of this skin condition let us now proceed with the home remedies for the same.
Effective Home Remedies for Psoriasis :
1. Aloe Vera for Psoriasis Treatment
Aloe vera gel contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, auxin and gibberellins hormones as well.
These properties of this wonder gel helps in healing the skin and its anti-inflammatory properties soothe the inflammation caused by Psoriasis instantly.
Aloe vera gel for psoriasis is one such remedy which accelerates the healing time of the skin. This Aloe vera is even beneficial for face and skin and even provide relief from pain, scaling, redness and excessive dryness by moisturizing the skin effectively.
Method 1: Aloe Vera Gel Remedy
This aloe vera gel remedy can be used for treating Psoriasis on skin and nails.
This remedy can even be used for joints psoriasis also called as the psoriatic arthritis. You can also use aloe vera gel along with shampoo for scalp psoriasis
- Aloe Vera Leaf- 1 to 2 Nos
- Start by taking a fresh aloe vera leaf and slit the leaf with a knife length wise.
- Then using a spoon scrape out the aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Apply this aloe vera gel on the affected area and massage the gel into the skin gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Leave on the aloe vera gel application on the affected skin overnight or at least for 3 to 4 hours.
- Then the next day rinse off the application with cold water thoroughly.
- This aloe vera for psoriasis remedy must be repeated 2 to 3 times daily for complete relief from psoriasis.
Method 2: Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, Lavender, Rose and Peppermint Oil Remedy
Along with the benefits of aloe vera adding coconut oil, lavender essential oil, rose essential oil and peppermint oil will enhance the efficacy of the remedy to treat psoriasis.
Coconut oil is known for its anti-bacterial and moisturizing properties. Whereas adding lavender oil, rose oil and peppermint oil in this remedy helps in effectively treating psoriasis.
- Fresh Aloe Vera Gel- 1/3 Cup
- Organic Coconut Oil- ½ Cup
- Lavender Essential Oil- 3 Drops
- Rose Essential Oil- 3 Drops
- Peppermint Essential Oil- 3 Drops
- Clean Jar- 1 Nos
- Take a bowl and add in 1/3 cup of fresh aloe vera gel and ½ cup of melted organic coconut oil.
- Mix these ingredients well and then add in 3 drops of lavender, rose and peppermint essential oils into aloe vera and coconut oil.
- Mix well again and store this solution in a clean jar.
- Keep this solution aside for 2 to 3 hours or best overnight.
- Then for usage take required amount of this aloe vera and oils solution and apply this on the affected area.
- Leave on the application for 3 to 4 hours or overnight for faster relief from psoriasis.
- The next day wash off the application thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- The remaining solution can be refrigerator for further usage.
- This aloe vera for psoriasis can be repeated daily once at bed time for substantial relief from the symptoms of psoriasis.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis Remedy
Apple cider vinegar is known to posses several health benefits for face and skin care and one such benefit is that it is the perfect ingredient to treat psoriasis.
The healing properties of apple cider vinegar help in balancing the pH levels of the skin by causing alkaline reaction in the body.
This property of apple cider vinegar soothes the irritated skin and speeds up the healing process.
Apple cider vinegar for psoriasis even contains potent anti-inflammatory property which eases the symptoms of psoriasis such as itching, redness and pain effectively (1). Use these home remedies for psoriasis treatment.
Method 1: Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy
This remedy with apple cider vinegar helps in detoxifying the body to reduce the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 2 tbsp.
- Water- 1 Cup
- Take a cup of water and add 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar into water.
- Stir well and drink this solution ½ hour before meals.
- This apple cider vinegar for psoriasis must be taken 3 times a day for 1 to 2 weeks for treating the symptoms of psoriasis effectively.
Method 2: Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Remedy
Along with the benefits of apple cider vinegar for psoriasis adding baking soda makes it a soothing and anti-inflammatory remedy for treating this skin condition.
Baking soda is an even excellent ingredient for healing the skin and balancing the pH levels of the skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 1 tbsp.
- Baking Soda- 1 tsp
- Water- Optional
- Take a small bowl and add in 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar.
- Then add 1 tsp of baking soda into apple cider vinegar.
- If required add some water and mix well until both the ingredients are well combined.
- Then apply this paste on the affected area.
- Leave on the application to dry for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse off the application with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry gently.
- This apple cider vinegar for psoriasis remedy can be repeated 1 to 2 times a day for 1 to 2 weeks or until the symptoms of psoriasis is healed completely.
Method 3: Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp Psoriasis Remedy
Apple cider vinegar is rich in active enzymes and malic acid which prevents in flare up of bacterial infection in the scalp.
The anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar are even beneficial for treating the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 2 tbsp.
- Water- 1 Cup
- Cotton Ball- 1 Nos
- Spray Bottle- Optional
- Take 1 cup of water and add in 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Then take a cotton ball and saturate it with water and apple cider vinegar solution.
- Apply the cotton ball on the affected area.
- Alternatively you can even use a spray bottle filled with this solution to spray on the affected area.
- For best results keep this solution in refrigerator before application for faster relief from inflammation and itching sensation.
- This apple cider vinegar for psoriasis remedy can be applied once a day for reducing the inflammation and irritation caused by psoriasis on scalp.
- Avoid spraying this apple cider vinegar and water solution on cracked or sore skin.
3. Coconut Oil for Psoriasis Remedy
Treating psoriasis with medication can be expensive and a time consuming process as most of the time psoriasis is not completely cured by these medicated creams. Thus, choosing natural and inexpensive home remedies for psoriasis is the best alternative.
One such natural and highly effective remedy is Coconut oil for Psoriasis.
Coconut oil is dense in nature and is packed with nutrients, vitamins and anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which help in healing the skin and treating psoriasis. In fact coconut oil affects the immune system and treats the cause of psoriasis internally.
Method 1: Coconut Oil for Scalp Psoriasis Remedy
To combat the intense itching sensation and flakiness in the scalp coconut oil for psoriasis has been proven to be an effective remedy.
As the moisturizing properties of coconut oil nourishes the dry scalp and even helps to get rid of the excess sebum in the scalp.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- 1 tbsp.
- Hot Water- 1 to 2 liters
- Firstly melt extra virgin coconut oil in small bowl until the oil is liquefied.
- Then apply the lukewarm coconut oil on damp hair and massage the scalp gently for 2 to 5 minutes to spread the oil well.
- Later dip a towel in a hot water and carefully squeeze out the excess water.
- Then wrap the hot towel on the scalp.
- Leave hot towel wrap on scalp for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Later remove the towel wrap and follow up with mild shampoo routine.
- This coconut oil for psoriasis can be repeated 2 to 3 times a week for getting rid of dry scales and moisturize the scalp effectively.
Method 2: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Remedy
To treat a chronic skin condition as psoriasis coconut oil is considered as the best remedy.
As the fatty acids in coconut oil is excellent for moisturizing the skin and the anti-inflammatory property present in coconut oil helps in substantially reducing the redness on skin.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- As Required
- Firstly melt the extra virgin coconut oil in double boiler or place the oil jar under hot water for 1 minute until the oil solids dissolve.
- Then take required amount of melted extra virgin coconut oil into palms and apply it all over the body or just affected area.
- Dab a tissue or old T-shirt over the application to get rid of excess oil residue.
- The oil application can be done after having a bath.
- This coconut oil for psoriasis remedy can be repeated 3 to 4 times a day for at least 3 weeks for healing the dry skin and treating psoriasis effectively.
4. Honey for Psoriasis Remedy
To treat the abnormal activity of the white blood cells triggered by the immune system makes the skin cells grow and shed faster than normal.
One ingredient which effectively helps in soothing the inflammation and irritation is Honey. it is the best home remedies for psoriasis
Honey for Psoriasis helps in reducing the inflammation (2), soothing the skin and protects the skin from further damage from external infection.
In fact honey even helps in treating the patchy and peeling skin by deeply moisturizing the skin.
Method 1: Honey, Olive Oil and Bee Wax Remedy
Along with the benefits of honey for psoriasis adding olive oil and bee wax increases the efficacy of the remedy.
As olive oil and bee wax even contains intense moisturizing properties which are beneficial for healing the dry and damage skin caused by this chronic skin disease psoriasis.
- Organic Honey- 1 tbsp.
- Olive Oil- 1 tbsp.
- Food-Grade Bee Wax- 1 tbsp.
- Air-tight Container- For Storage
- Take a saucepan and add in bee wax and melt it on a low heat, make sure to stir occasionally.
- Remove the bee wax from heat when bee wax is completely melted.
- Then add in honey and olive oil into warm melted bee wax.
- Stir well until the ingredients are well combined.
- Then pour this lotion into an airtight container and refrigerate it.
- For usage take required amount of this lotion and apply it on the affected area.
- Massage the affected area gently until the lotion is well absorbed into the skin.
- This honey for psoriasis can be repeated daily once to reduce the inflammation and soothe the itching sensation.
Method 2: Honey and Vaseline Remedy
Honey for Psoriasis acts as a protective barrier on the skin which prevents the broken and inflamed skin from getting infected by any infection.
Along with the benefits of honey adding Vaseline helps to keep the skin well moisturized and prevents the skin from further cracking.
- Honey- 1 tbsp.
- Vaseline- 1 tbsp.
- Take a small bowl and add in 1 tbsp. of honey.
- Then mix 1 tbsp. of Vaseline into honey and stir well.
- Apply this paste on the affected area.
- Leave on the application for 2 to 3 hours.
- This Vaseline and honey for psoriasis remedy can be repeated 2 to 3 times a day for soothing the symptoms of psoriasis.
[ Also Read: Lemon and Honey for Blackheads]
5. Olive Oil for Psoriasis Remedy
Psoriasis is considered as one of the best home remedies as it contains emollient properties which help in preventing dryness and makes the skin supple.
Olive oil is rich in anti-oxidant properties which prevent the damage of healthy cells caused by free radicals. The anti-oxidants present in olive oil even aids in promoting normal skin cells growth.
Method 1: Olive Oil Remedy
Olive oil is a wonderful natural ingredient for treating all the symptoms of psoriasis such as scaly build-up of dead skin cells, inflammation and itching sensation due to excess dryness of skin.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Take extra virgin olive oil and massage the oil onto affected area.
- Leave on the oil application overnight.
- For best results apply olive oil as moisturizer after taking a shower at bedtime.
- This olive oil for psoriasis remedy can be repeated daily once at bedtime to soften the skin and treat psoriasis effectively.
Method 2: Olive Oil and Milk Remedy
Intense itching sensation is one of the initial symptoms of psoriasis which makes the condition worse. To treat this itching sensation caused by psoriasis this combination of olive oil with milk works effectively.
- Olive Oil- 2 tsp
- Milk- 1 Cup
- Water- For Bathing
- Firstly fill a bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Then pour in 2 tsp of olive oil and 1 cup of milk.
- Soak in this soothing and moisturizing bath water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Later rinse with plain water and pat dry the skin gently.
- Moisturize the skin immediately with olive oil or any hydrating cream.
- This milk and olive oil for psoriasis remedy can be repeated daily once to soothe the itching sensation and reduce scales on body.
Method 3: Olive Oil, Lavender Oil and Tea Tree Oil Remedy for Scalp Psoriasis
This olive oil for psoriasis home remedy works more effectively along with essential oils such as lavender oil and tea tree oil.
Both these essential oils lavender oil and tea tree oil are known to enhance the benefits of this remedy as these oils help in removing scales and delaying the growth of skin cells in scalp psoriasis. essential oils for psoriasis treatment is the tried and tested Natural home remedy
- Olive Oil- 2 tbsp.
- Lavender Oil- 5 Drops
- Tea Tree Oil- 10 Drops
- Firstly heat olive oil in saucepan until it reaches warm temperature.
- Then remove olive oil from heat and add 5 drops of lavender oil and 10 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix the oil blend well.
- Apply this oils blend all over the scalp and mainly concentrating on the affected area.
- Leave on the application for 25 to 30 minutes or better overnight.
- Next day wash off the oil application thoroughly with mild shampoo.
- This olive oil for psoriasis remedy can be repeated 2 to 3 times a week for 2 to 3 weeks for relief from the symptoms of psoriasis faster.
6. Tea Tree Oil for Psoriasis Remedy
Tea tree oil is proven to posses’ potent medicinal benefits to cure several skin disorders such as psoriasis.
As this amazing oil contains anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which are beneficial in treating a chronic skin condition such as psoriasis.
Method 1: Tea Tree Oil Remedy
Tea tree oil for psoriasis is an effective home remedy as it is the only essential oil that is available in concentrated and purest of forms. It’s also advisable to choose good quality tea tree oil for treating psoriasis.
- Tea Tree Oil- 3 to 4 Drops
- Water- 1 tsp
- Take 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil in a palm and dilute the oil with 1 tsp of water.
- Apply this diluted tea tree oil on the affected area.
- Tea tree oil is available in concentrated and pure form so its best to dilute the oil with water before application as it worsen the irritation on affected area.
- Massage the diluted tea tree oil into the skin until it’s well absorbed.
- This tea tree oil for psoriasis can be repeated twice a day to treat the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Alternatively you can even add 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil into regular body lotion to treat inflammation caused by psoriasis.
Method 2: Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba Oil Remedy for Scalp Psoriasis
Tea tree oil is even beneficial for treating scalp psoriasis. As the anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil provides an instant relief from inflammation and soothes the itching sensation as well.
Along with the benefits of tea tree oil for psoriasis adding jojoba oil helps in reducing the sensitivity of the scalp. Jojoba oil moisturizes the scalp and forms a barrier on the skin to protect it from external irritants.
- Tea Tree Oil- 4 to 5 Drops
- Jojoba Oil- 2 to 3 tbsp.
- Take a small bowl and add in 2 to 3 tbsp. of jojoba oil.
- Then add in 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil into jojoba oil and mix well.
- Later apply this oils blend all over the scalp and hair.
- Massage the oils into the scalp in gentle circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then leave on the oil application for 25 to 30 minutes or best overnight.
- Next day wash off the oil application with lukewarm water and mild shampoo.
- If required follow up with a conditioner routine.
- This jojoba and tea tree oil for psoriasis remedy can be repeated 2 to 3 times a week for 3 to 4 weeks for getting rid of scales and inflammation in scalp.
Method 3: Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil Remedy
Tea tree oil for psoriasis remedy can be quite strong for people with sensitive skin and so combining tea tree oil with coconut oil makes it an excellent remedy for treating psoriasis.
This remedy is suitable for applying externally on the whole body affected with psoriasis such as face, neck, chest, legs and finger nails too.
Adding coconut oil not just makes tea tree oil more suitable for sensitive skin but with the presence of lauric acid an antibacterial property in coconut oil helps in healing the skin faster.
Hence this combination works efficiently to treat people with sensitive skins easily.
- Tea Tree Oil- 15 Drops
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- 2 tbsp.
- Take a bowl and add in 2 tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Then add in 15 drops of tea tree oil into coconut oil.
- Mix well and add this oils blend liberally on the affected area.
- Massage the oils blend well into the skin until it’s well absorbed.
- Dab an old t-shirt on the skin to remove excess oil residue from the skin.
- This coconut oil and tea tree oil for psoriasis remedy can be repeated twice a day to treat psoriasis and heal the skin.
[ Also Read: Effective Home Remedies for Nail Fungus]
7. Turmeric for Psoriasis Remedy
Amongst the several home remedies for psoriasis turmeric is a highly beneficial remedy. Turmeric since several years has been widely used as medicine to cure many skin and health diseases and psoriasis is no exception.
Curcumin is an active ingredient present in turmeric which is the main medicinal property that makes this turmeric root potent as medicine.
Curcumin present in turmeric acts in multiple ways to protect the skin such as it protects the skin by scavenging oxidising reactive species, controls inflammation by causing nuclear factor kappa B that a group of proteins that regulates inflammation in the body.
Turmeric is from the god’s Pharmacy to act as a natural pain killer it even benefits in accelerating the healing process of the skin and exerts the antioxidant activity by destroying the harmful reactive.
Method 1: Turmeric, Black Pepper and Coconut Oil Remedy
This turmeric for psoriasis remedy is also referred to as the golden paste due its excellent medicinal properties.
Along with turmeric this remedy even contains black pepper, coconut oil which together enhances the efficacy of this treatment for psoriasis.
Black pepper contains piperine which helps in the absorption of turmeric into the body properly.
Whereas adding healthy fats such as coconut oil in this remedy increases the absorption of turmeric in the body and even aids to treat the inflammation caused by Psoriasis.
- Organic Turmeric Powder- ½ Cup
- Grounded Black Pepper- 1 ½ tsp
- Virgin Coconut Oil- 4 ½ tsp
- Water- 1 Cup
- Milk- 1 Glass
- Clean Jar- For Storage
- Take a saucepan and heat 1 cup of water in the pan.
- Then add ½ cup of turmeric into the water and low the heat to simmer.
- Keep stirring continuously for 5 to 10 minutes or until the turmeric and water paste becomes thick.
- If the paste is too watery add little turmeric powder and if the paste is too thick add little water to make smooth perfect consistency.
- Lastly add grounded black pepper and coconut oil in turmeric paste and stir well again.
- Remove from heat and allow the paste to cool down to room temperature.
- Store this golden paste in clean jar and refrigerate.
- For usage take 1 tsp of this turmeric golden paste and add a glass of warm milk.
- Stir well until the golden paste is well dissolved in milk.
- Drink this warm milk before bedtime or with breakfast.
- This paste can even be added to salads, smoothies and juice or consumed as it is.
- This turmeric for psoriasis remedy can be repeated twice a day for relief from the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Golden paste can be refrigerated for 1 to 2 weeks for further usage.
Method 2: Turmeric Remedy
Turmeric for psoriasis is not only beneficial if taken internally but provides equal benefits when applied on the affected area to ease the symptoms of psoriasis. This remedy is extremely simple but be cautious as the turmeric can stain clothes and skin yellow.
- Ground Turmeric Powder- 1 tbsp.
- Water- 1 tbsp.
- Take a bowl and add in 1 tbsp. of turmeric powder.
- Now add 1 tbsp. of water into turmeric powder and make a thick paste like consistency.
- Make sure to wear old and dark clothes before application of turmeric paste.
- Then apply this turmeric paste liberally over the affected area.
- Leave on the turmeric application for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Then wash off the application thoroughly with lukewarm water and mild soap.
- Later pat the skin dry with a towel.
- This turmeric for psoriasis remedy can be repeated 2 to 3 times a week for curing psoriasis effectively.
- Including 4 to 6 tsp of turmeric in diet or intake of 1200mg of turmeric capsules will even benefit in preventing flare up psoriasis.
So these were our topmost suggestions of home remedies for psoriasis. Apart from these remedies there are a few do’s and don’t’s that one needs to keep in mind to prevent and treat psoriasis.
[ Also Read: Home Remedies for Peeling Skin on Hands]
Important & Helpful Dos and Don’ts of Psoriasis:
- Always keep your skin moisturized to prevent flaking and peeling of skin.
- Make sure to use a hydrating moisturizer after shower to seal in the moisture.
- Soak in warm water with bath oil or epsom salt for at least 15 minutes thrice a week to loosen up the dead skin scales and reduce inflammation.
- Soak in the sun as the ultra violet light diminishes the psoriasis lesions.
- Stay positive, avoid frustration and depressed feelings
- Avoid scratching the lesions and avoid scrubbing the psoriasis lesions as it can worsen the condition and result in flaring up further.
- Avoid having bath with very hot water and avoid strong cleansers.
- Maintain a healthy weight as being overweight increases the risk of psoriasis.
- People suffering from scalp psoriasis it is must to use a conditioner after shampooing the hair to avoid dryness and itching sensation.
- Use fragrance free and non-comedogenic make up and skin care products to worsen the psoriasis condition.
We hope the home remedies for psoriasis and the dos and the donts mentioned by us will be of help to you. So, next time don’t reach out for the expensive steroid based creams for relief instead opt for natural and inexpensive home remedies to treat psoriasis.
All of the remedies and tips mentioned in this article are safe and contain all natural ingredients. In case if the condition prolongs over a longer period of time or worsens stop the usage of remedy immediately. It is also advisable to consult a specialist for the same.
Watch Effective Home Remedies for Psoriasis Treatment
So, if you liked our home remedies for psoriasis, don’t forget to share which remedy worked the best for providing relief in psoriasis condition by dropping in a line.
We would love to hear from you and know your opinion about the same in order to serve you with better natural suggestions.