Poison oak is a weed which can be found in United States, Alaska and the dessert regions of Nevada. This weed has an oily chemical called urushiol allergen which when gets in contact with the skin causes annoying rash and severe itching sensation.
Here are some of the symptoms to identify Poison Oak Rash:
- Intense Itching sensation
- Small bumps filled with liquid like fluid
These symptoms of poison oak allergy can last for about 10 to 15 days.
The signs of rash caused by Poison Oak usually may take about 12 to 48 hours to appear on skin. There are many topical creams available that claim to reduce the inflammation and heal the rashes.
But the efficacy of these creams tends to fades away in sometime and the inflammation prolongs.
Therefore in order to treat the allergy or rash caused by poison oak rash effectively it is best suggested to follow a few quick, affordable and extremely effective home remedies for poison oak rash.
As these home remedies heal the rashes faster and even provides a substantial relief from the inflammation caused by poison oak rash.
Home Remedies for Poison Oak Rashes Treatment:
1. Baking Soda for Poison Oak Rash
The acid in urushiol oil is the main cause of inflammation and rashes.
To treat the inflammation baking soda for poison oak rash remedy is proven to be very effective. As baking soda neutralizes the urushiol acids and provides an instant relief from rashes and itching sensation.
Method: 1 Baking Soda Paste Remedy
Baking soda is one of the most commonly recommended ingredients to treat the allergy caused by Poison oak rash. This remedy is not just effective but is conveniently available in every household.
- Baking Soda- 3 tsp
- Water- 1 tsp
- Take a small bowl and add in 3 tsp of baking soda.
- Then add 1 tsp of plain water into baking soda.
- Mix well to form a paste like consistency.
- Apply this baking soda paste on the affected area.
- Allow the application to dry for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then remove the dry baking soda remains completely.
- This baking soda for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated 2 to 3 times a day until the inflammation and rash has subsided.
Method 2: Baking Soda Compress Remedy
The alkalinity of baking soda is beneficial for drawing out the toxins and makes the rash heal faster. Sometimes skin contact to poison oak rash can even cause oozing blisters and for this condition this baking soda for poison oak rash works effectively.
- Baking Soda- 2 tsp
- Water- 1 liter
- Sterile Gauze Pads- 1 Nos
- Take a bowl and add in 1 liter of water.
- Then add in 2 tsp of baking soda into the water.
- Stir well until baking soda is well dissolved into water.
- The take sterile gauze pads and soak it completely into the baking soda and water solution.
- Then place this wet gauze pad on the blisters.
- Leave on the gauze pad application for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Later remove the gauze pad and pat dry the skin gently with a soft face towel.
- This baking soda for poison oak rash compress remedy can be repeated 2 to 3 times a day until the rash and inflammation has reduced.
Method 3: Baking Soda Soak Remedy
This is yet another effective and easy remedy with baking soda for poison oak rash. This process is less messy and provides an instant relief from the inflammation and redness.
- Baking Soda- 1 Cup
- Cool Water- For Bathing
- Firstly fill a bathtub with cool water.
- Then add in 1 cup of baking soda and stir the water well so that baking soda is dissolved in water.
- Later soak in the water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then rinse with plain water to get rid of baking soda residue.
- This baking soda for poison oak rash soak remedy can be repeated 2 times a day for substantial relief from the symptoms of poison oak rash allergy.
[Also Read: Baking Soda for Blackheads]
2. Banana Peel for Poison Oak Rash
Banana peel like banana fruit is also dense with vitamins and minerals. There are multiple health benefits of banana peel which you may not aware.
These minerals are beneficial for soothing the rashes, itching and blisters caused by poison oak rash. Thus banana peel for poison oak rash is considered as one of the most traditional and effective remedies for the poison oak rashes.
- Banana Peel- 1 Nos
- Surgical Tape- As Required
- Take a banana peel and rub the inside of the banana peel over the rash.
- Massage the banana peel gently for at-least 30 to 50 seconds.
- Leave on the application for 2 to 3 hours.
- Alternatively wrap the inside of the banana peel on the affected area.
- Secure the banana peel on the affected area with a surgical tape.
- Leave on the banana peel wrap for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Later remove the peel and discard it.
- This banana peel for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated every 2 to 3 hours for relief from the symptoms of poison oak.
3. Oatmeal for Poison Oak Rash
Amongst home remedies oatmeal is recommended as one of the most effective alternatives to treat rashes caused by allergies including poison oak rash.
Oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory properties and is also rich in nutrients. These properties and nutrients in oats help in soothing and moisturizing the irritated skin so that the skin can heal faster.
Method 1: Oatmeal Bath Remedy
This oatmeal for poison oak rash soak remedy can be made easily at home to treat the allergy caused by poison oak rash.
- Oatmeal- 1 Cup
- Muslin Cloth- As Required
- Water- 1 Bowl
- Take a cup of oatmeal in a piece of muslin cloth.
- Tie the muslin cloth with oatmeal in a bundle.
- Then soak the oatmeal in muslin cloth in a bowl of water.
- Allow the oatmeal to absorb the water until the oatmeal swells up or till 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then remove the oatmeal bundle from water and extract the milk from soaked oatmeal.
- Use this oatmeal milk to wash the affected area.
- Allow the oatmeal extract to dry on the affected area.
- The dry starchy residue of oatmeal extract will help to draw out the fluid from the blister.
- Later keep the oatmeal bundle back in the bowl of water for further use.
- This oatmeal for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated as and when required to abate itching and heal the allergy faster.
Method 2: Colloidal Oatmeal, Baking Soda and Epsom Salt Remedy
This is yet another effective remedy with oatmeal for poison oak rash which soothes the rashes and dries up the blister faster.
For enhancing the benefits of this remedy adding Epsom salt or baking soda helps to clear the allergy faster.
Colloidal oats used in this remedy are finely ground oatmeal powder that can be easily dissolved in water.
- Colloidal Oatmeal- 3 to 4 Cups
- Epsom Salt- 1 Cup
- Baking Soda- 1 Cup (Optional)
- Water- For Bathing
- Soft Towel
- Firstly fill a bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Then add colloidal oats and epsom salt into bathtub.
- Alternatively one can even opt for baking soda instead of epsom salt.
- Then soak in the bathtub for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes exit from oatmeal bath soak and pat dry the skin with soft towel.
- Make sure to pat dry the skin gently or else it can aggravate the rash further.
- This oatmeal for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated 3 times a day for treat poison oak rash effectively.
4. Rubbing Alcohol for Poison Oak Rash
Rubbing alcohol is known as the ultimate first aid that provides an instant relief and prevents the allergy rash from spreading in the body.
The alcohol in this remedy helps in dissolving the toxic oil substance from the skin before the oily substance seeps into the skin.
Method 1: Rubbing Alcohol Remedy
This remedy with rubbing alcohol for poison oak rash helps in providing immediate relief from rash and even helps in preventing blisters.
- Rubbing Alcohol- As Required
- Cotton Wool- 1 to 2 Nos
- Take a cotton wool and soak it with rubbing alcohol.
- Later wipe the affected area with rubbing alcohol saturated cotton wool.
- This process will dissolve the toxic oils of poison oak weed and cleanse the affected area thoroughly.
- This rubbing alcohol for poison oak rash remedy can be used as a first aid to prevent the rash from spreading further.
Method 2: Rubbing Alcohol, Calamine Lotion and Hydrocortisone Cream Remedy
In this remedy along with rubbing alcohol for poison oak rash adding calamine lotion and hydrocortisone cream makes this a combination an excellent treatment for treating allergy caused by poison oak rash.
Calamine lotion contains calamine and zinc oxide which helps in relieving pain, itching sensation and even calms the skin effectively.
Whereas adding hydrocortisone cream helps in treating inflammatory reaction caused by skin allergies such as the poison oak rash.
- Rubbing Alcohol- 1 tbsp.
- Calamine Lotion- 1 tbsp.
- Hydrocortisone Cream- 1 tbsp.
- Take a small bowl and add rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion and hydrocortisone cream.
- Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Then apply this cream on the affected area with fingertips.
- Leave on the application for 3 to 4 hours on affected area.
- This calamine lotion, hydrocortisone cream and rubbing alcohol for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated 1 to 2 times a day for relief from the allergy symptoms faster.
5. Vinegar for Poison Oak Rash
Vinegar is acidic in nature which is beneficial in dissolving the toxic oil residue of poison oak Rash from the skin.
In fact vinegar even helps in providing cooling sensation to the skin to relieve the rash symptoms easily.
Method 1: Vinegar Remedy
Vinegar for poison oak rash is a great remedy for treating the rashes, itching sensation caused by toxic oil of poison oak rash.
- White Vinegar- ½ Cup
- Water- 1 ½ Cup
- Soft Cloth
- Take a bowl and add in 11/2 cups of water.
- Then add in ½ cup of white vinegar and stir the solution well.
- Later soak a soft cloth in this solution and gently squeeze out the excess solution.
- Now press this moist cloth on the affected area for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Then allow the solution to dry for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process when the 1st application has dried completely.
- This vinegar for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated 3 to 4 times a day until the symptoms of poison oak rash allergy has subsided completely.
Method 2: White Vinegar and Baking Soda Remedy
People suffering from poison oak rash allergy can easily avail fast respite from the symptoms of poison oak rash by using the combination of white vinegar and baking soda.
As the benefits of vinegar for poison oak rash has already been mentioned here and adding baking soda to this remedy helps alleviating the symptoms even faster.
- White Vinegar- ½ Cup
- Baking Soda- 3 to 4 tbsp.
- Washcloth- 1 Nos
- Firstly take a bowl and add ¼ cup of white vinegar and baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients well to form a thick paste like consistency.
- Then stand in a shower and moisten the skin with water completely.
- Later turn off the shower and with a damp washcloth apply the paste all over the body.
- Scrub the paste well mainly concentrating on the affected area.
- Later rinse off the paste thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Then pat dry the skin and apply remaining vinegar all over the body with a cotton wool or a clean wash cloth.
- Allow the vinegar application to dry.
- This vinegar for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated 1 to 2 times a dry for 3 to 4 days to alleviate itching sensation and dry the rash faster.
Method 3: Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy
Apple cider vinegar is an invaluable ingredient as it contains potent medicinal properties.
One amongst the many remedies is this apple cider vinegar for poison oak rash allergy.
Apple cider vinegar helps to draws out the toxic poison from the pores and even soothes the irritated and inflamed skin.
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar- 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Cotton Wool
- Firstly clean the affected area thoroughly with soap and water.
- Then pat dry the skin with soft towel.
- Later saturate a clean cotton ball with organic apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this saturated cotton ball over the affected area.
- Leave on the application to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Later rinse off the vinegar application with lukewarm water.
- This apple cider vinegar for poison oak rash remedy can be repeated 4 to 5 times a day to abate the symptoms of poison oak rash allergy.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Stinging Nettle Rash Treatment]
Important Tips to Remember to Avoid Poison Oak Rash:
Apart from the home remedies for poison oak rashmentioned here there are a few pointers that one needs to be keep in mind to treat and prevent the poison oak rash.
- Firstly recognize the poison oak plant and avoid contact with these plants when possible.
- Wear covered clothes such as long sleeves, long pants, socks, gloves and boots while hiking, camping or working in forest environment.
- One can even get poison oak rash allergy by indirect contact with poison oak through pet hair, tools and etc.
- Avoid scratching the affected area completely as it worsen the rash and take longer time in healing the skin.
- Wash the affected area immediately with lukewarm water as soon as possible when in contact with poison oak rash.
- Wash all the contaminated by poison oak clothes, shoes, tools and pets separately.
- Poison oak rash allergy is not contagious allergy and doesn’t spread by touching the affected area to the entire body.
So these were our top most recommendations of home remedies for poison oak rash.
So, the next time you suffer from poison oak rash allergy wait no longer and try out these effective and natural remedies to cure the symptoms of poison oak rash.
All the remedies for poison oak rash mentioned in this article are extremely simple to use, inexpensive and mostly contain natural ingredients.
If in case the allergy symptoms worsens with fever and difficulty in breathing it is best recommended to consult a health care professional for the same.
Do drop in a line and let us know as to which of the remedies for the poison oak rash mentioned in this article was of best help to you. We would love to hear from you and know your opinion about the same in order to serve you with better natural suggestions.