Amelia was fascinated to wear crop tops and for that reason she wanted to pierce her belly button. The piercing looked elegant. But she never thought that it could get infected?
Sometimes touching your navel frequently, just after piercing can cause navel infection. If you too have developed a navel infection like Amelia or belly button yeast infection, and are looking for natural remedies to treat it, then you are at right place. Read further to know more.
Infection in a belly button is a common issue of skin contamination that happens inside the belly button.
This tiny belly button in a human’s body is considered as one of the spots for the development of microbes like bacteria, yeast, and parasites.
These microbes grow in the belly button region and cause infection.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies For Belly Button Infection
What Causes Belly Button Infection?
Some of the factors which can develop infection in belly button are;
- Disease caused by diabetes, obesity or any other underlying conditions
- Contamination due to stomach piercing or surgery
- Bacterial and fungal infections
- Yeast infection in belly button
- Poor hygiene
- Wound or injury near belly button
- Sebaceous cyst
If you are affected by belly button infection, then you might experience some of these signs and symptoms below.
Symptoms of Belly Button Infection
The most common symptoms of belly button infection are;
- Pain and inflammation in the belly button
- Itching or tingling sensation inside your navel
- Skin turns warm
- Red belly button
- Green, yellow or brown discharge from the navel
- Nausea and dizziness
- Unpleasant odor from your belly button
- Bleeding from belly button
You can treat your infected belly button symptoms, by trying some of the home remedies for belly button infection.
Home Remedies For Belly Button Infection
1. Coconut oil
One of the best remedy to treat the infection of the belly button is coconut oil. It contains antimicrobial, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that assists in fighting against infection and its symptoms like, pain, discharge and swelling effectively.
- Take 1-2 tsp of coconut oil, and directly apply it on your affected navel.
- You can even use a cotton swab to apply.
- Leave it on your skin, to allow it to absorb the oil.
- Repeat this treatment 3 to 4 times daily for few days.
Turmeric has curcumin which exhibits strong antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties (1). It diminishes the swelling, itching, and inflammation caused by the navel infection, and quickens up the healing process.
- Mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder with sufficient water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your navel directly, or with the help of a cotton swab.
- Keep it till it dries completely, and then wash it with water.
- Repeat this daily for few days.
3. Warm Compress
One of the safest and convenient home remedy to reduce pain and inflammation, due to naval infection is salt. It contains high amount of sodium chloride, and can even destroy bacteria and prevent infection.
Try warm compress if you are having fluid discharge from your infected belly button. The warmth will advance the flow of pus and alleviate the pain.
- Absorb a cotton pad in warm water, and squeeze out the extra water.
- Put the warm compress on your belly button.
- Keep doing this for 5-10 minutes, and repeat it again when required.
4. White Vinegar
One of the best home remedies for belly button infection is white vinegar. The vinegar contains acetic acid, which is anti-bacterial in nature, and works by killing the bacteria causing infection (2). It is also effective in killing fungi, and treats any type of infection.
- Mix 1 tbsp of white vinegar with 2 tbsp of water.
- Take a cotton pad and soak it in this mixture.
- Apply it to the affected area, and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Then, wash it with water.
- Continue this remedy 2-3 times a day, till you get cured of the navel infection.
Process: 2 with Rubbing Alcohol
- Mix some white vinegar with rubbing alcohol.
- Soak the cotton in this mixture, and rub it gently to your belly button.
- Leave it on, and follow this remedy 2-3 times a day.
Rubbing alcohol is antiseptic in nature, which will sterilize the infected area, and avoid spreading of the infection. Plus, it will soothe the irritation and pain.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is known for its amazing healing properties. This plant contains more than 200 components of medical need, which display anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial nature.
These components can help in treating an existing belly button infection, plus alleviate its inflammatory symptoms.
Aloe vera is used to treat various diseases, and is recommended one of the best natural remedy to treat navel infection.
- Take out aloe vera gel from a fresh leaf.
- Apply this gel on your affected navel.
- Keep it for 10-15 minutes, and wipe off with a tissue.
- You can continue this multiple times a day till your infection is healed.
6. Tea Tree Oil
A compound called terpinen-4-ol is found in tea tree oil, which displays soothing properties against inflammation and pain (3).
It also contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties, which help in receiving healing quickly from belly button infection.
- Mix 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with 1 tsp of coconut oil.
- Apply this oil to your affected area.
- Leave it for 20 minutes, and then wipe off with a tissue.
- You can follow this process several times a day.
7. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is actually one of the best soothing remedy for navel infection. It alleviates pain, itching and swelling swiftly due to its inflammatory properties.
- Mix2 -3 drops of peppermint oil with 1 tsp of coconut oil.
- Apply this oil to your affected area.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes, and then wipe off with a tissue.
- You can repeat the same for 3-4 times in a day.
8. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac is usually known as ‘Neem’. Scientific studies have revealed numerous medicinal properties of Indian Lilac which is antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial in nature (4).
It works wonder by inhibiting the growth of microorganism and microbes which are responsible for causing infection. Plus, it relives pain, swelling and itching instantly. Therefore, it is a very powerful ingredient to use for treating your belly button infection.
- Take few drops of Indian lilac oil.
- With the help of a cotton ball, apply directly on your infected area.
- Keep it for 20 minutes, and then wipe off with a tissue.
- Repeat this several times a day, for a week to get rid of infection.
Process: 2 with Turmeric
- Take some washed neem leaves, and grind them with water to form a smooth paste.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to fasten the healing process.
- Apply this paste to your affected area.
- Allow it to dry completely, or leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then, rinse it with water.
9. Garlic Oil
Garlic contains antimicrobial properties which help to fight off belly button infection. It is a natural pain reliever which subside the navel pain.
- Pound a couple of garlic pods, and mix them with 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Warmth the oil in a pan, and sauté till garlic turns darker.
- Sieve it, and enable the oil to cool.
- Apply some garlic oil to the infected area using cotton.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a day.
- Likewise, eat 2 to 3 peeled garlic cloves every day, to accelerate the healing process.
Calendula is commonly used for curing various skin ailments. It contains some analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic properties, which can relieve pain, swelling, redness, burning, irritation, and itching caused due to navel infection (5).
- Take some dry calendula flowers, and remove its petals.
- Grind the petals to extract its juice.
- Apply this juice over your belly button.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- You can also use calendula lotion and ointment instead of fresh calendula juice.
11. Baking Soda
Baking soda is extremely powerful for treating belly button infection. It has some mitigating properties that provide assistance from pain and irritation.
Plus, it maintains the pH of the skin, and the anti-microbial nature inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungus in the belly button area.
Therefore it is advisable to apply a paste of baking soda in your belly button to treat the infection completely.
- Take 1 tsp of baking soda, and mix it in 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Apply this paste on your belly button, and keep it for few minutes.
- Then, wash the area with water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
12. Manuka Honey
Manuka honey contains antibacterial, antiseptic, and healing properties that can help inhibiting the bacterial growth that causes belly button infection.
Honey has an antibacterial compound known as methylglyoxal (MGO). Manuka honey, in specific, has a higher concentration of MGO than regular honey which is why it is more effective.
- Take some manuka honey, and directly apply it on your navel.
- Leave it for several hours.
- Then, wash it with water.
- Repeat this remedy 3-5 times a day, to get a quick recovery from infection.
You can also consume 1-2 tbsp of manuka honey daily which will help to fight belly button infection, prevent its recurrence, and also boosts your immunity.
13. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is very beneficial for pus filled belly button. It contains powerful antibacterial and disinfectant properties, which fights off bacteria and lessen the possibility of infection. Therefore, it speeds up the healing process.
- Dilute 1 tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 2 tbsp of water.
- Apply this solution on your infected navel using a cotton pad.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
- Continue this daily for few days.
Note: Always use 3 % of hydrogen peroxide.
14. Black Tea
Tea is a powerful source of antioxidants, and a great fungi killer as it contains tannins, which is responsible for this purpose.
A wet black tea bag helps in improving the condition of an infected belly button efficiently, by reducing the swelling and tingling sensation.
- Take a black tea bag and dip in hot water.
- Steep it for 10 minutes, and remove excess water from the tea bag.
- Then, put the tea bag in a fridge for 20 minutes.
- Now, place this cold tea bag on your navel to get a soothing effect.
- Follow this method up to 3 times a day to quicken up the healing.
- This remedy helps to get rid of yeast growing on the inner side of the belly button.
Additional Tips For Belly Button Infection
Follow these further tips which will help in healing the infection quickly and avoid the recurrence in future.
- Avoid wearing tight fitted clothes, and wear cotton clothes which will soak sweat, and avoid itching and irritation.
- Do not touch the infected area frequently.
- Avoid foods like sugars, fried foods, processed food which increases bacterial and fungal growth.
- Don’t try to scratch your infected navel, as it can make the condition worse.
- Stay away from swimming for some time till your infection is cured, as chlorinated pool is not good for navel infection.
- Always wash your hands before touching your navel, or applying any of the treatment for belly button.
- Never use a cloth while cleaning or applying treatments as it can spread the infection. So, always use cotton.
- Always keep the infected area clean and dry, as poor hygiene also causes infection.
- Include vitamin C, zinc, and antioxidants food in your diet to promote healing.
- Avoid putting pressure on the belly button while sleeping.
- If you are diabetic, try to control sugar levels.
- If you have done belly piercing, then carefully follow all the guidelines to prevent belly button infection.
After applying these home remedies if you still don’t find relief, then do consult a doctor. Usually navel infection takes a week or so to get cured completely.